best wheels for trail riding

7 replies to this topic
  • desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:13 PM

i have the stock excel wheels on my 06 450. im going to need to replace them soon they are cracking around the spoke holes and are pretty bent up.
should i just get another set of excels or is there something better out there?

• Wiz636

Posted August 15, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Seriously? I have never seen that before. Sounds like a spoke maintenance issue to me.

But to answer your question: I have used Pro-wheels and was not at all impressed and would not recommend them.

I am currently running Moose rims (don't know who really makes them though) and am very happy with them. Several guys that I ride/race with run the Moose rims and nobody has ever had an issue.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 08:23 PM

ill check em out. i bought the bike used and it was raced moto x, so its been ridden pretty hard. but ya they are cracking. and the rocks out here put some pretty good bends in the rim too

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2008 - 08:59 PM

How well do you know the previous history of your bike? The impression I'm getting is either that the whole bike was run very hard for a couple years, or it came with an older wheel set.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:16 PM

it was a one owner bike. it was raced at a motorcross track. the "kid" i bought it from was kinda spoiled so he didnt take real good care of it. i found lots of sand in the carburetor, the fuel screw was missing from the carb and the water pump was leaking coolant. im slowly but surely getting it back to a decent bike, i fixed all the hiccups. just the wheels are trashed. lots of cracks around the spokes and the beadlock stud.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:18 PM

they are the stock excel wheels from 06 as far as i know

• cowboyona426

Posted August 16, 2008 - 08:16 AM

it was a one owner bike. it was raced at a motorcross track. the "kid" i bought it from was kinda spoiled so he didnt take real good care of it. i found lots of sand in the carburetor, the fuel screw was missing from the carb and the water pump was leaking coolant. im slowly but surely getting it back to a decent bike, i fixed all the hiccups. just the wheels are trashed. lots of cracks around the spokes and the beadlock stud.

That kid should have his arse kicked... I can't imagine being that careless with a bike. I'm sure you have, but I would check every bearing, cable, bolt, and anything else on the bike before I rode it much.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 16, 2008 - 10:37 AM

ive had it for 6 months now, ive put alot into it. but i didnt pay a whole lot for it. its pretty reliable now. he was spoiled, he had several other bikes in his garage at his disposal... :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.