Can I fix my hub?

16 replies to this topic
  • Two-Six

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hey guys the sprocket side wheel bearing started spinning in my hub. I already replaced the hub and put new spokes in wheel. My question is, can I fix this hub? I would really like to reuse this hub so I can have a spare wheel.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:16 PM

machine shop might be able to fix it, but im not sure its worth the price. check ebay for a used one

• William1

Posted August 15, 2008 - 05:00 PM

I would first try red loctite on it. If it still is a problem, you can have the hub knurled. But at some point, the hub will just not be worth the trouble.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 05:02 PM

the cast aluminum hub really isnt worth fixing

• mike_dean

Posted August 16, 2008 - 04:52 AM

I doubt you will fix it permanently, but I repair Spin Bikes for the local Health club and they have aluminum frames and the bottom brackets come loose and if not detected early the frames wear larger than the pressed in brgs, I have used Permatex Bearing Mount, made by loctite, the Permatex item # 20297, it fills gaps from .005" to .020", resists oil and chemicals, temps to 300 degrees, and drys in 2 hrs. I don't know the loctite # but it should be on their website. I have also used it on my ttr125's rear hubs loose brg and it is holding so far. It's $7.95 for 0.20 oz. Mike

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:50 AM

I doubt you will fix it permanently, but I repair Spin Bikes for the local Health club and they have aluminum frames and the bottom brackets come loose and if not detected early the frames wear larger than the pressed in brgs, I have used Permatex Bearing Mount, made by loctite, the Permatex item # 20297, it fills gaps from .005" to .020", resists oil and chemicals, temps to 300 degrees, and drys in 2 hrs. I don't know the loctite # but it should be on their website. I have also used it on my ttr125's rear hubs loose brg and it is holding so far. It's $7.95 for 0.20 oz. Mike

Mike, that's good advice. Bearing Mount is an excellent product, but in this case, I think the first words of your first sentence are at the heart of the matter.

The real trouble is that the bearing pockets on a number of '06 hubs appear to be weaker than others, probably due to a casting defect on that side of the hub, and while Bearing Mount will certainly hold for a time, the question is whether the pocket will then cease to open up with further use.

• pbviking

Posted August 16, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hold a problem with my hub the last weekend. Bolts came loose on my 01 426 and egged a couple hub bolt holes

I drilled them out and put helli coli in, put bolt in, added loctite, and a nut on the back side

cuz its not going to happen again

• Two-Six

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Mike, that's good advice. Bearing Mount is an excellent product, but in this case, I think the first words of your first sentence are at the heart of the matter.

The real trouble is that the bearing pockets on a number of '06 hubs appear to be weaker than others, probably due to a casting defect on that side of the hub, and while Bearing Mount will certainly hold for a time, the question is whether the pocket will then cease to open up with further use.

Well the plan is to build the extra wheel and use it on my 250 2 stroke. I replaced the hub on the 450, if I build the wheel I will only use it on my 2 stroke. Do you think that the hub will hold better on my 250 since it has less power?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:22 AM

Less power and less weight will both work in your favor, but you should keep an eye on it, to be sure. Who knows? It may even hold.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:24 AM

U Going To Be Jumping The Bike Alot? That Would Put Alot Of Stress On It

• Two-Six

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:27 AM

U Going To Be Jumping The Bike Alot? That Would Put Alot Of Stress On It

Yea, because I am racing motocross.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:28 AM

I Wouldnt Want To Take The Chance With It If U Are Going To Be Racing.

• mike_dean

Posted August 16, 2008 - 05:31 PM

Grayracer, that was my thoughts also, it worked on my TTR125, but my son doesn't jump that any more, just some supermoto on a Gokart track, so not much stress. Mike

• Two-Six

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:53 PM

Grayracer, that was my thoughts also, it worked on my TTR125, but my son doesn't jump that any more, just some supermoto on a Gokart track, so not much stress. Mike

Do you think it would be worth it? I don't feel like building a wheel to only use it once. Thats way too much work for nothing.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:57 PM

no i dont think so, spend the extra money and save the headache

• Two-Six

Posted August 16, 2008 - 10:26 PM

no i dont think so, spend the extra money and save the headache

Well its not like I am really spending money. I have a 250 2 stroke and 450, I replaced the hub on the 450, I want a extra wheel for the 250 though. I was thinking since I can maybe fix this hub I can build a wheel. If I can't fix the hub then it looks like no extra wheel.

• intensem1rider

Posted August 17, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I have used that loctite stuff before at work on transmission bearings within the working spec of the loctite, it works for a while, but if theres enough vibration, it always seems to fail. I wouldn't trust my life on a patch fix like that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.