Engine Oil question

17 replies to this topic
  • Guztav

Posted August 15, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hello!

I''m about to do my first oil change on my yz426f -02. I have read the oil specs in the manual and I have an oil that would do, but! In the service manual it says that I sholdn't use an oil with additives or oils with a grade of CD or higher. On my oilcan it says API SL-EC/CF. What can happen? What is the CF?

I hope someone could help me, I need to change the oil now And would like to use this oil.

Sorry for my bad english!

Regards

Guztav from Sweden

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:06 PM

just make sure on back of the oil bottle it doesnt say energy conserving, or it will cause the clutch to slip

• Guztav

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:18 PM

It is a motorcycle oil so i don't think the clutch will slip.

Heres a link to the oil

http://www.getgeared...2&category=-132

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:22 PM

API SL-EC/CF. What can happen? What is the CF?

CF is a commercial grade (for trucks and commercial vehicles), and CF is a fairly old, obsolete standard. The EC that I bolded in the quote is a concern, because it suggests that the oil is fortified with friction reducers that MIGHT cause clutch problems.

Based on the grading on the label, it doesn't look like that good an oil, frankly. Is it an automotive oil? I would rather see SG/SH, CI-4, and JASO MA. GL-1 would be nice, but I know of only one oil graded with that.

• Guztav

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:26 PM

But the oil seems to be good enough if you read the manual. Or have I missunderstod something?

Thank you very much for answering btw! :)

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:19 PM

do u guys get different oil over in sweden

• Guztav

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:12 PM

Not that I know of...But in the manual it says API SH or higher. This oil is API SL.

• Guztav

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:14 AM

I've changed the oil now and the clutch seams great. Comes up on the backwheel on fifth gear still so... I dont think it's any problem. But oh my god how much metal it was in the oilfilter. Is this normal? It were a paper filter and I installed a "metal" filter. What is best?

And guys, and possible girls, how often do you really honestly change the oil and filter?

Bad english again...

• desert-rat660

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:31 AM

i change the oil every other ride

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:44 AM

I use a Scotts stainless steel oil filter, and I clean it at every oil change. I change oil every third ride day. Until I had the oil you are using tested, I would change it every ride.

The issue is whether or not the oil can retain it's viscosity over time when used in a transmission. Find an oil testing lab like Blackstone and send them a sample of your used oil. Pay particular attention to the results for SUS and Cst viscosity at 100 C (212 F). It will show what your oil is and what it should be.

Most oils that are not correctly blended for transmission use will drop down in grade very quickly when used as a gear oil. Your 5W-40 may become a 5W-20 in a surprisingly short time.

Metal in the filter is a normal thing, especially because of the clutch and transmission. The longer you leave the filter alone, the more will be there when you take it out. The thing to do is to watch for a sudden change in the amount or kind of chips you see. This could mean trouble.

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

• Guztav

Posted August 26, 2008 - 12:01 AM

Should this oil do the job you think?

http://www.louis.de/...tnr_gr=10059190

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:23 AM

I'd be more prone to trust that one. SG means it will have a good compliment of anti-wear compounds in it, and JASO MA says it's good for your clutch.

But there is still the question of how well it will keep its viscosity in a transmission, so I would still send off a used oil sample after about 5 hours of use to see what condition it is in.

• Guztav

Posted August 27, 2008 - 12:02 AM

I just figured that API SG not suits for the recomendation of api SH. Hmm... I just want a good priceworthy oil, is that so hard to get?

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 05:52 AM

SG and SH are very near the same. As with any product, everyone wants high quality at a low price, but that's always been hard to do.

• Guztav

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:38 AM

I realized that the earlier oil only where a mineral oil so heres a new one.

Okay, last oil oppinion, I hope... Castrol Grand Prix part syntet SAE 10w-40. API SG, JASO MA.

http://www.louis.de/...tnr_gr=10038255

It's a SG oil I know, but you said grayracer that it's near the same so... You think this would do, pretty good price to!

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Like the last one, the label info is OK, so you could use it, but I would not use it for longer than 2 rides until I had tested a used sample.

• Guztav

Posted September 01, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, it would be great to do that. But I don't think that theres any lab around where I live. But I might check into this. Thank you for your advice!

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2008 - 05:25 PM

I ship mine to Blackstone Labs. That's still within the U.S., though. See if there's one in Europe somewhere that isn't going to cost too much for the shipping. Your main interest will be in the viscosity of the used sample at 100 degrees C.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.