top end and bottom end 06 yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted August 15, 2008 - 01:33 PM

hey guys,
just got this bike couple days ago and the seller was honest enough to tell me, that he never did a top or bottom end on it.
now, i want to get the top end done just in case, but while i'm at it should i do bottom, too ?

i usually do all of my repairs myself and i'm pretty sure i can do the top, but i'm not sure what it takes to do bottom, do i have to take the cases apart ?

Also where do you buy the parts and what all should i get. i always buy stuff i need from motorsport.com

thanx much

• czechalien

Posted August 15, 2008 - 01:39 PM

found complete bottom and top kit for $600 is it good price or would it be cheaper to buy OEM parts from Yamaha ?

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:09 PM

i rebuilt the top end on my 06 recently. i didnt rebuild the bottom end. the bottom end is usually pretty stout. as long as there wasnt dirt and the oil was changed regularly the crank and rod bearings should be ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:16 PM

I just had my top end rebuilt and replaced the crank bearings and other stuff while I was there. (I had other problems with mine do to worn gear teeth from my shift index lever and stuff so I had to replace more than normal). Obviously, I would check your valves to make sure there in spec (most likely are) and valve seats. The bottom end on these bikes are pretty solid but if you find anything fishy in there, remember it's better to be safe thank sorry. Also, throw in a new cam chain while you're in there. Good luck!:) :D

• czechalien

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:39 PM

how difficult is the bottom end compare to top end to do ?

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:50 PM

u would have to remove the motor and split the cases, u will need a flyhweel puller and possibly a case splitter.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.