Chain Came OFF When I Landed a Decent Triple! Need Some Constructive Criticism Fellas

40 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2008 - 05:43 PM

It sounds like you are simply running the chain too tight (the reason that it breaks on landings), and/or failing to press the master link together far enough to properly seat the clip.

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:05 PM

if u want a non 0-ring.. D.I.D ert 2.. pair it with some good sprockets and u will have a good set up for awhile. just check the chain every other ride. i usually have to adjust mine 1 0r 2 times a month.

• Justin89

Posted October 05, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Well, my chain snapped today. It cost me the race. :lame:

Can anyone recommend a non-oring chain?

Where were you racing at? The Dodge...? Man two chains in 2 months...bummer:thumbsdn: What chain were you using today?

• dbehr624

Posted October 05, 2008 - 09:27 PM

Sorry to hi-jack the thread... but how often should you change your chain anyways? i changed it when i first bought my bike, but since then, i havent gotten a new one.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2008 - 04:58 AM

The chain should be changed when its condition warrants it. Kinking, binding, stiff links that can't be freed up, or top and bottom edges of the plates worn excessively are two considerations. But the big thing is wear at the pins and bushings. That causes the chain to "stretch", increasing the pitch. (Pitch is the distance between pins). Chains that are two long will rather quickly destroy a pair of sprockets.

In your manual, in section 3, there is a method of measuring the chain shown. Yamaha says to replace it at 2% longer than new. I go by 1.5% or two years, whichever occurs first.

• llamaface

Posted October 06, 2008 - 09:38 AM

make sure u dont install the master link clip backwards or it could pop off the chain

It can still pop off. Most of us roll our bikes backwards off the trailer or out of the truck. I had one pop off about 5 miles into a 70 mile backcountry ride. I can only assume that it caught on the chain guide when backing it off the trailer, and took 15 mins or so to work loose. I always carry a spare, but now I also take a quick look at the master link before starting a ride.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2008 - 09:43 AM

There is no way that a correctly installed, good quality master link in good condition can be popped out of place by reversing through a chain guide unless there is something very seriously wrong with one or the other.

• llamaface

Posted October 06, 2008 - 12:09 PM

There is no way that a correctly installed, good quality master link in good condition can be popped out of place by reversing through a chain guide unless there is something very seriously wrong with one or the other.

Then why install the clip in a certain orientation?

Certainly something serious could have been wrong with one or the other, or something less serious like minor rock damage leaving a burr in the plastic of the chain guide or something. Or it could have been something completely different. :lame: All kinds of stuff can happen offroad. I don't wash and inspect my bike after every ride, since I ride pretty often, but I've taken to doing a quick visual on the master link now. If something does happen, I'd rather know at the truck with my tools nearby instead of miles deep in the woods, possibly with a hole in the cases.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Then why install the clip in a certain orientation?

Has it escaped you that there is some difference in the speed the chain runs at when going forward under power, the force applied to the chain under such circumstances, and the frequency with which the master link passes any given point when compared with rolling the bike backward?

• NorCal

Posted October 06, 2008 - 01:35 PM

It sounds like you are simply running the chain too tight (the reason that it breaks on landings), and/or failing to press the master link together far enough to properly seat the clip.

Either that or I'm trying to race on a college budget. Honestly, I love doing
cross country races, but I really don't have the money right now to adequately
maintain my bike. I spent about $200 bucks this weekend on gas, race fees,
and food for not even a half of a lap. I'm so pissed.

if u want a non 0-ring.. D.I.D ert 2.. pair it with some good sprockets and u will have a good set up for awhile. just check the chain every other ride. i usually have to adjust mine 1 0r 2 times a month.

Damn, that's pretty expensive chain for a non-oring.

Here's what I'm thinking and please tell me if this is a good idea:

I already have Iron Man sprockets front and rear which are in decent shape. I
really don't think it would be a good idea to put an expensive O-ring chain on
a set of used sprockets. So I was thinking about getting a RK for under $40.
Once my sprockets are done, then I'll replace them as a whole with an o-ring
chain.

Good or bad idea?

Where were you racing at? The Dodge...? Man two chains in 2 months...bummer:thumbsdn: What chain were you using today?

Metcalf/Prime Time Harescrambles in San Jose.

It was the same chain that the fell off at Riverfront. I got a new master link
and had my roommate press it on. The clip was seated. The chain actually
snapped this time though. It was a Regina ORN-6 with less than 1 year on it.:lame:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • llamaface

Posted October 06, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Has it escaped you that there is some difference in the speed the chain runs at when going forward under power, the force applied to the chain under such circumstances, and the frequency with which the master link passes any given point when compared with rolling the bike backward?

Not at all, but I fail to see how any of those things are relevant. Clearly the master link is more vulnerable in 1 direction than the other. It doesn't really take much force at all, and the speed and frequency only matter if it's possible for the link to come off in the first place. If it can happen going one way, it can happen going the other.

The chain actually
snapped this time though

So it broke at some other link? Not the master? I agree with grayracer then (as usual), seems like the chain might be too tight, or else you just had terrible luck. I assume you inspected the drivetrain fairly carefully for other possible problems.

Was it muddy? Mud can pack in make a chain tighter. Small rocks can also wreak havoc if they get caught up between chain and sprocket.

You could probably put a new chain on an ironman rear sprocket without any issues. those sprockets are reputed to wear quite well. You might want to inspect the front double-closely to make sure there's no hooking.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2008 - 01:56 PM

I spent about $200 bucks this weekend on gas, race fees,
and food ...

I'm feeling that.

I already have Iron Man sprockets front and rear which are in decent shape. I really don't think it would be a good idea to put an expensive O-ring chain on a set of used sprockets.

If the sprockets are really in good condition, there is no reason that you can't install a new chain on them. It is the chain that destroys sprockets when worn by being too long between pins to fit between their teeth. Sprockets don't really affect the chain much unless they are really bad.

The chain actually snapped this time though. It was a Regina ORN-6 with less than 1 year on it.:lame:

Again, this makes me suspect your adjustment. When the '06 and later YZ450 is adjusted right, the chain "looks" loose to just about everyone. Put the bike on the stand and measure it out by the book. I have run 6 of theses chains on 5 bikes in the last 5 years with two people riding them. One wore out, none has failed.

As far as chain maintenance for the ORN-6, here's my program:

I wash the chain on the bike with Simple Green and a garden hose (no pressure washers). I wipe it dry, give it at least an hour, and spray it with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard lube. Done.

Adjust 3 times a year, maybe.

• Wiz636

Posted October 06, 2008 - 02:11 PM

Wow...a broken ORN6.

If the chain was adjusted tight enough to cause failure I would have guessed that the hub would fail long before the chain.

If I recall from early in this post that at one point the master link came off this chain. That happened to my son's bike last year when his master clip finally wore off from (I assume) rubbing on the chian guide. Fortunately it fell off as we were loading the bike after riding so I was able to inspect the link. Once the clip and outer plate came off the link bent into a shallow 'V' shape before ultimately falling out. Because of the funky angle the adjacent trailing link roller had become somewhat damaged. Is this the link that broke?

I have been running ORN6 chains on all my bikes for a couple years of heavy offroading and some moto without a single failure beyond the master link clip wearing.

Norcal, lucky that you didn't bust a case...what case guard are you using?

• NorCal

Posted October 06, 2008 - 02:59 PM

So it broke at some other link? Not the master? I agree with grayracer then (as usual), seems like the chain might be too tight, or else you just had terrible luck. I assume you inspected the drivetrain fairly carefully for other possible problems.

Was it muddy? Mud can pack in make a chain tighter. Small rocks can also wreak havoc if they get caught up between chain and sprocket.

You could probably put a new chain on an ironman rear sprocket without any issues. those sprockets are reputed to wear quite well. You might want to inspect the front double-closely to make sure there's no hooking.

Yes, it broke at another link. It wasn't muddy at all. Maybe a small rock got
caught up. Oh well. Nothing to do about it now. I guess I'll run my chain on
the loose side from now on. Although I have had a chain jump off before. That
was scarier than a chain completely coming off.

I'm feeling that.

If the sprockets are really in good condition, there is no reason that you can't install a new chain on them. It is the chain that destroys sprockets when worn by being too long between pins to fit between their teeth. Sprockets don't really affect the chain much unless they are really bad.

Again, this makes me suspect your adjustment. When the '06 and later YZ450 is adjusted right, the chain "looks" loose to just about everyone. Put the bike on the stand and measure it out by the book. I have run 6 of theses chains on 5 bikes in the last 5 years with two people riding them. One wore out, none has failed.

Gotcha...well I rode the bike for quite a while, so perhaps it was too tight. I
can't say now though. I think I'm going to get a cheap chain for the time being
until I can save up enough coin for a good chain and sprocket combo.

Norcal, lucky that you didn't bust a case...what case guard are you using?

I'm using the stock case guard.

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 06, 2008 - 08:34 PM

honestly i never really noticed the price.. i always just threw a set of sprockets on with the chain and go threw motosport.. only pay like 135 for a complete set.

plus i get a good 8 months to a year out of one of these.. i had 1 that lasted me 8 months on stock/worn sprockets. im on my second one with 5 track days and 2 desert rides and have only adjusted it 1 time.. its a solid chain for the price.

• llamaface

Posted October 07, 2008 - 07:31 AM

honestly i never really noticed the price.. i always just threw a set of sprockets on with the chain and go threw motosport.. only pay like 135 for a complete set.

If money were an issue to me (and it is) I would buy cheap steel sprockets for $20 from rocky mtn, and a decent o or x-ring chain, and run it for 3000 miles or so.

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 07, 2008 - 09:53 AM

If money were an issue to me (and it is) I would buy cheap steel sprockets for $20 from rocky mtn, and a decent o or x-ring chain, and run it for 3000 miles or so.

money is always an issue with me.. exspecially when the new college semester runs around and im dropping 1100 bucks on books.

for me its just cheap insurance/preventive maint so that something really bad happans.. my motto is.. what costs more... ____ for a new part or 2-3k for a new motor...

• motoag93

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:29 AM

ditto same problem here. masterlink happened to come off when I was washing the chain!

• Justin89

Posted October 17, 2008 - 04:33 PM

I can't remember what I used, but I'm pretty sure it was the thick stuff. The oil
was brand spankin new, too. So I'll bet that may have been the problem.

NORCAL, how come you are selling your bike?

• NorCal

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:43 PM

NORCAL, how come you are selling your bike?

Lol...how did you know? I want to get something newer with less hours.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.