Chain Came OFF When I Landed a Decent Triple! Need Some Constructive Criticism Fellas

40 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted August 15, 2008 - 10:26 AM

I want to hear your opinions, but be nice guys. Yesterday at the track there is a
decent sized step down triple that I was hitting for the better half of the day.
Anyways, on the last session, my chain came off once I landed the big trip. Thank god it
didn't break my case or cause injury to myself. I don't think my chain was overly
tight or loose. It is in good shape (Regina 0RN-6 w/ Iron Man sprockets front and
rear). I guess the only maintenance I do is lube it after a wash.

My questions are:

How often does this happen?

What could I do to prevent it?

Do I need to do chain maintenance?

Do I need a new chain (I recovered the old one)?

• clutchless

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:01 AM

my question is:

did it snap or did you just lose your master link?

get a new chain.

• Justin89

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Where were you in California? RIverfront...?

• NorCal

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:39 AM

my question is:

did it snap or did you just lose your master link?

get a new chain.

Came off at the master link

Where were you in California? RIverfront...?

Yes

• clutchless

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:42 AM

if you are hitting triples. i would suggest replacing the chain.

get a new master link for the old one and keep it in your tool kit as spare.

check your chain each and every time you ride for wear and tear.

be thankful it didn't let go on the face of the jump. you could be in much worse shape.

• KJ790

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Did you have the clip on the masterlink facing with the opening backwards?

• Wiz636

Posted August 15, 2008 - 12:22 PM

On my old 426 the masterlink clip on my ORN-6 finally wore off from the chain guide and the clip and plate came off the masterlink. The masterlink could not really fall out because of the chain guide but it slowly bent the link until the chain was able to slip off one of the pins. Believe it or not it happened while loading the bike into the truck! I have no idea how long it was like that.

• NorCal

Posted August 15, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Did you have the clip on the masterlink facing with the opening backwards?

It was installed facing the correct way.

• NorCal

Posted August 15, 2008 - 12:31 PM

be thankful it didn't let go on the face of the jump. you could be in much worse shape.

Yeah... can't stop thinking about that because the I always us the throttle to
level me out in mid air, not to mention I could have cased the jump real bad,
too.

So I guess I'll need a new chain?

I'm interested in what Gray has to say...

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2008 - 12:41 PM

On my old 426 the masterlink clip on my ORN-6 finally wore off from the chain guide and the clip and plate came off the masterlink.

Bingo. The downside to the extraordinarily long life span of the ORN6 is that the chain stays in place long enough to wear out a couple of master link clips this way. It's only a problem when you let them break, though, and if you know to check for it, it's easily prevented by replacing the link when the clip gets worn some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2008 - 02:25 PM

I would venture to say a new master link and you'll be good to go, but if you've had the chain on there for a long time it might not hurt to throw a new one on.

• Justin89

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, I would definately replace the chain if you're gonna be riding/racing at Riverfront and Estreet. They have some good size jumps out there and definately don't want to take any chance out there. Glad to see you made out of this fine because I have seen some gnarly crashes off of that jump:crazy: What number are you (if you have one)? I'm out there every week...good luck:thumbsup: :)

• desert-rat660

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:22 PM

make sure u dont install the master link clip backwards or it could pop off the chain

• NorCal

Posted August 15, 2008 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, I would definately replace the chain if you're gonna be riding/racing at Riverfront and Estreet. They have some good size jumps out there and definately don't want to take any chance out there. Glad to see you made out of this fine because I have seen some gnarly crashes off of that jump:crazy: What number are you (if you have one)? I'm out there every week...good luck:thumbsup: :)

Yeah...that landing is so shitty for the amount of air you can catch off the jump.
I'm really surprised I didn't see anyone crash last night. It's almost like they
didn't learn anything from the new(er) triple on the freeway. The original landing
was awful, but they finally did something about it by building it up, and it's much nicer.

I'm number 625x and you could spot me a mile away because I'm the only guy
out there with wrap around hand guards and an oversized tank. Just trying to
keep in shape for the XC season. lol.

• Justin89

Posted August 15, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Yeah...that landing is so shitty for the amount of air you can catch off the jump.
I'm really surprised I didn't see anyone crash last night. It's almost like they
didn't learn anything from the new(er) triple on the freeway. The original landing
was awful, but they finally did something about it by building it up, and it's much nicer.

I'm number 625x and you could spot me a mile away because I'm the only guy
out there with wrap around hand guards and an oversized tank. Just trying to
keep in shape for the XC season. lol.

O, were you talking about the newest tripple they made out of the old so called "tunnel" jump? Because that is freakn' retarted. When I went there on tuesday, I thought that that was just a roller they added in until I saw someone jump it. I was talking about the freeway tripple but that jump has mellowed out a little. I will look for ya...Im 238 on the white and black YOT bike lol

• biznet1

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:48 AM

Bingo. The downside to the extraordinarily long life span of the ORN6 is that the chain stays in place long enough to wear out a couple of master link clips this way. It's only a problem when you let them break, though, and if you know to check for it, it's easily prevented by replacing the link when the clip gets worn some.

This was my thought because I have a ORN6 and it's by far the best chain I have ever had. I have only had to tighten it one time in a year. With that said, it makes sense the clip would be worn.

• tnl

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:24 AM

How did you install the master link clip? With needle nose players or a chain tool? I made the costly mistake of using plyers rather than the chain tool and it costed me BIG. I'd also like to know how many hours the chain had on it.

• NorCal

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:55 AM

O, were you talking about the newest tripple they made out of the old so called "tunnel" jump? Because that is freakn' retarted. When I went there on tuesday, I thought that that was just a roller they added in until I saw someone jump it. I was talking about the freeway tripple but that jump has mellowed out a little. I will look for ya...Im 238 on the white and black YOT bike lol

Yeah.... the tunnel jump is the jump that my chain broke on the landing. lol. It's
really not too bad, but I wish they would build the landing up or make it a big
table.

• Justin89

Posted August 16, 2008 - 10:14 AM

Yeah.... the tunnel jump is the jump that my chain broke on the landing. lol. It's
really not too bad, but I wish they would build the landing up or make it a big
table.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean...that jump is a little wack right now lol..good luck with the chain situation

• NorCal

Posted October 05, 2008 - 04:47 PM

Well, my chain snapped today. It cost me the race. :lame:

Can anyone recommend a non-oring chain?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.