Where are these fires?

27 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted June 10, 2002 - 12:57 PM

9News reports evacuations of everything West of Sedlia. I can't believe it. It looks like Rampart is in the direct line. I really feel sorry for anyone with homes out there or that have been consumed already. Could you imagine losing everything? It is going to be a very long summer. Especially if we can't ride Rampart.

I guess this means more trips to Moab for me. If I don't sell the bike first. If Rampart goes up, it will be 10 years before they think about opening it up. 68,000 acres so far and they predict it will be 100,000 by tomorrow. It also is officailly the biggest fire ever in CO.

Good luck to the firemen and smoke jumpers. Hope they can get some kind of hold on this soon. And that they don't get hurt doing so.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Dougie ]

• YZeezee

Posted June 10, 2002 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, it'll be a miracle if Rampart isn't gone, I think. They've given voluntary evacuation orders to people in Roxborough now too. Should be another smoky night in Highlands Ranch...
You can bet I'll be saying a little prayer for the firefighters working on that one.

• kathy127

Posted June 10, 2002 - 01:57 PM

Had a blast there 2 years ago, wanted to return this July. Looks NOT good. I don't understand why the first reports said that they were going to let it burn?

• endurodog

Posted June 10, 2002 - 04:30 PM

They are not putting any fire fighters in front of the fire at this point because they say it is impossible to fight and would be to much of a risk. They attempting to attack it from the flanks, the sides. Its about 830 pm here in Denver and the wind has shifted. Don't know how long it will stay that way but its a start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted June 10, 2002 - 04:52 PM

.......i've got ashes on my car, all the way up in boulder.........this sucks......... :D :)

dodger

• Gee

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:22 AM

Since Rampart appears to be history, here's some other suggestions for you Colorado guys:
Flattops
Taylor Park
San Juans
Rainbow trail
Granby area
Waldon area - Grizzly Helena trail
Steamboat - Hahns Peak area
Southeastern Utah is WAY too hot in the Summer, stick to the spring and fall.
There is still alot of good riding, your just going to be driving further!

• YZeezee

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:32 AM

WEnt outside this morning in Highlands Ranch, smells like a big old campfire-just grey air all over the place. The sky wasn't quite as dark but it was definitely the thickest smoke down low so far...

• Dougie

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:33 AM

Not good, not good! 9news reports fire is moving NE right through Rampart.

I agree with Gee that there are many other places to ride (so far). But there is nothing like Rampart. Only 40 minutes from Denver with miles and miles of trails through the trees. Plus it was the first to open and and last to close in colder months. It looks like only mountain riding for a while. Day trips from Denver area are Idaho Springs or Breckenridge (Webster Pass and Red Hill).

You never know what you got until it's gone. I will miss Rampart if it goes totally up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.