what is the wattage output of a stock 450

3 replies to this topic
  • jmklint1

Posted August 14, 2008 - 08:26 PM

looking to add the trailtech X2 to my new wr450. hid draw from the new X2 is 56 watts with the higher output setup.

• T_Olie

Posted August 16, 2008 - 12:39 PM

i just installed a HID kit on my bike. I have a 2004 WR 450 and i just ran new positive and negative wires from the battery and bought a switch that i could mount on the handle bars. So i could turn it off and on as needed. The stock plug for the headlight on the wr's is AC voltage and can supply 60 watts. but most HID kits need 9-14 volts DC to run them. So instead of buying a stator and all that noise you can just run a new positive and negative from the battery to a switch ( that you can buy from trail techs website). and it will work great. thanks and good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 17, 2008 - 08:43 AM

looking to add the trailtech X2 to my new wr450. hid draw from the new X2 is 56 watts with the higher output setup.

What year is your bike? Most WR's only put out a very small amount of dc power to the battery to keep it charged. Doing nothing else and running off the battery will kill it. Check this Baja Designs mod for the stator http://www.bajadesig.../statormods.htm. It will send all the power to the battery and then you can run your light from there. You will still need to add either the BD or trailtech regulator rectifier into the circuit upstream of the battery. The alternative to the DIY stator mod is to buy a complete new stator from Trailtech that has been done for you. I think that stator is about $130.

Unfortunately, there is no quick way to run HID on most bikes unless they are already putting all of their power to the battery.

• jmklint1

Posted August 19, 2008 - 05:02 AM

thaks for the info. didnt realize that the lights on these bikes ran of ac power, just assumed it was all 12volt dc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.