how do you have your Vapor/ endurance speedo hooked up?

19 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted August 13, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I replaced my stock wheels so i cant use my stock speedo. So im thinking to buy Vapor or endurance speedo but im just wondering how it hooks up. Does it use stock brackets or does it come with new brackets? does it hook up to the wheel bearing like the stock one or does it hook up some other way?

can you please post pictures of your set up, im really curious to see how the wire is hooked up and stuff. thx

• William1

Posted August 13, 2008 - 02:22 PM

Tjhe Vapor uses a small magnet that goes on the brake rotor. You have to mount a sensor to the fork leg.

Best source for details is the Trail Tech site,. You can view the instructions there.

• roushxteam199

Posted August 13, 2008 - 02:42 PM

come s with a screw that replaces another screw from where you mount the front disk to your hub. i love mine, i have the vapor.

• husqvarnarider

Posted August 13, 2008 - 05:48 PM

I have the endurance. It has a magnet that replaces a rotor bolt. The pick-up is fitted to the caliper mounting bracket. It comes with a drill bit and screw to mount it. Very simple........

• nickt916

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:08 AM

excellent, Ill sell my wheel with tire and stock speedo. Does endurance bolt up to the stock bracket? Or will I have to fabricate or will it come with something?

I heard vapor needs slot of wires to be hooked up to use all functions, and endurance is simple almost plug and play? And it doesn't even hook up to the bike battery? Isn't that a bad thing having to change batteries?

• tweav

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:25 AM

the vapor has 4 plugs on the back of it . you don't have to hook them all up but they all hook up ez

1 . bike power lead " does not have to be hooked up but then only use interal battery.

2 . speed sensor

3 . temp sensor

4 . tach input

you don't have to hook up any of these leads , but they go on so ez I don't know why you would not.

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:28 AM

excellent, Ill sell my wheel with tire and stock speedo. Does endurance bolt up to the stock bracket? Or will I have to fabricate or will it come with something?

I heard vapor needs slot of wires to be hooked up to use all functions, and endurance is simple almost plug and play? And it doesn't even hook up to the bike battery? Isn't that a bad thing having to change batteries?

I've had my endurance for about 6 months, and the batt isn't dead yet....(knocks on wood)

The endurance comes with a cheesy plastic hoop that clamps around the handlebars-I wasn't impressed. The billet protectors can be bought-one mounts using the stock location speedo bolts, the other requires some drilling and self tapping screws.

If you ask me, the protector is a must to prevent it from getting smooshed in the woods.

For the most part, it's plug and play, but you do have to calibrate it using the diameter of the front tire. It took me about 1 hr to install, and 2 hours to get all the functions set up.....would have probably taken less had I not taken a 6 pack to the garage with me.......:)

• nickt916

Posted August 14, 2008 - 03:51 AM

endurance i can probably buy on ebay for $69 new and $89 for the vapor... i basically want it to have a light, speed, trap, maybe a tach but that only comes on the vapor right? and temp only comes on vapor... those are basically the differences?

• byggd

Posted August 14, 2008 - 04:02 AM

http://www.trailtech.net/

Endurance Speedometer
Speed, Distance, Clock

Vapor Speedometer Tachometer
Speed, Distance, Tach, Temperature, Clock

• skisnh

Posted August 14, 2008 - 04:57 AM

I just hooked my Vapor..it took about 2 1/2 hours...the speed sensor I drilled into my caliper 10 mins tops..the longest part is the temp sensor, obviously you got to drain down the coolant. the rest is just neatly routing wires.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • face_plant

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:36 AM

vapor is the best route
i did not drill the caliper b/c i motard as well so wheel swaps mean moving the sensor so i used the fork guard and found a common center between the 2 rotors and installed the magnet in the same spot on both rotors
as for hooking it up, first one 45 min
now about 15-20

• roushxteam199

Posted August 14, 2008 - 04:06 PM

i love my vapor and i think its worth the extra to get one. heres my vapor mounted on my dash.
Posted Image][/IMG]

• tweav

Posted August 14, 2008 - 07:21 PM

As far as my mounting setup I'm sure it's kind of unique . I have the 4 wheeler speedo sensor on mine . it makes it ez to adjust for differant wheelsets . made the bracket on the fork guard as well as the brackets for the vapor itself .the protector is also the 4 wheeler unit with two small plates to adapt it to the wr .

Posted Image

Posted Image

here's a pic of the protector mounted to the modded stock speedo mount.

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted August 15, 2008 - 03:32 AM

I went with the dashboard addition

Posted Image

• nickt916

Posted August 15, 2008 - 12:38 PM

As far as my mounting setup I'm sure it's kind of unique . I have the 4 wheeler speedo sensor on mine . it makes it ez to adjust for differant wheelsets . made the bracket on the fork guard as well as the brackets for the vapor itself .the protector is also the 4 wheeler unit with two small plates to adapt it to the wr .

Posted Image

did you make those brackets there and just bought a cover bracket? because i cant see anything like you have here on the site http://trailtech.net...protectors.html i would love to mount mine like yours is, thats exactly where the stock one was right?

• tweav

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:57 PM

did you make those brackets there and just bought a cover bracket? because i cant see anything like you have here on the site http://trailtech.net...protectors.html i would love to mount mine like yours is, thats exactly where the stock one was right?

I made the two small plates that the protector is bolted to , plus I have to mod the stock speedo bracket , cut the tabs off that the stocker mounted to and rebent and then weld the guide wire to the side of it. it was all fairly ez if you have a welder and some basic tools

• WakeSS

Posted August 17, 2008 - 09:30 PM

I went with the dashboard addition

Posted Image

How do you have your dashboard mounted? I was just getting ready to order one of those but, on the trail tech site they just have the dashboard with the 022-OEB aluminum bracket. I had one of those for my vector on my YZ and bent it so many times that it finally broke.
Thanks

• byggd

Posted August 18, 2008 - 03:49 AM

How do you have your dashboard mounted? I was just getting ready to order one of those but, on the trail tech site they just have the dashboard with the 022-OEB aluminum bracket. I had one of those for my vector on my YZ and bent it so many times that it finally broke.
Thanks

I couldn’t see anyway to make the mount that comes with it work on my 02. I make my own bracket from a piece of galvanized steel I got at home depot. It’s secured to the bike using the two forward handlebar clamp bolts. The dashboard just snaps right on, no additional mount needed.

• WakeSS

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:40 AM

I couldn’t see anyway to make the mount that comes with it work on my 02. I make my own bracket from a piece of galvanized steel I got at home depot. It’s secured to the bike using the two forward handlebar clamp bolts. The dashboard just snaps right on, no additional mount needed.

:) Cool, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a mounting bracket I need to order.

• VK_308

Posted August 28, 2008 - 02:59 AM

hey just a question about the endurance speedo.... has anyone attempted to make it visable at night?
i know u can press a button to light up the screen for 3 seconds or so but it wont stay on....eg: night/dawn/dusk riding
so how could i resolve this or what have riders done to light up the speedo..
any help would be great

cheers
scott

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.