07 Clutch Extra Plate

5 replies to this topic
  • bigred455

Posted August 13, 2008 - 01:28 PM

I and others have complained about some clutch fade with the 07. I do not abuse the clutch at all 2 stroke different story. I admit the clutch fade has gotten better with time put on it. If you look at the basket with the whole clutch pak installed there is enough room for one more plate. Take off the first fiber and look at the clutch hub there is plenty of room for a steel plate.
I am going to run another steel plate back to back in the center about the 8th position. I was looking at part#s the 07 YZ250 HAS THE SAME PLATES (2 STROKE) If you go back to 06 with the 450 and 250 (2stroke) it is a different part# They are just thinner but will work. A KX OR RM OR CR MAY EVEN WORK. If you have a extra plate from a different model it may work,just see how it mounts on the clutch hub. I am going to run a steel plate off of a YZ 250 2004 IT SHOULD FIT different thinkness but it will work. My buddy has extra plates off his YZ ,If I am lucky they are steel that year. Hopefully running one more steel plate will take some of the heat away and improve on the clutch fade. Remember since the pak is going to be thicker it will push the pressure plate away from the push rod.You will just need to pick up some slack in your adjustment . I will get back If there is a improvement or if it does nothing,but I would think we have something here.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2008 - 03:23 PM

I see no advantage to adding a single steel plate, and the only thing it will certainly do is to increase the spring preload, making the clutch pull harder. It may also cause the springs to coil bind, But I'd imagine they have more clearance than that.

A more productive approach would be to basically install an '06 clutch. The '07 has 8 friction plates, the '06, 9. To change it over, you would need

1 extra friction plate (or a complete set of 9, if yours are worn) 5TA-16321-00-00

8 plain plates from an '06 - 5JG-16325-00-00

6 clutch springs for an '06 - 90501-231E9-00 (2.5mm shorter than the '07, due to the shorter stack height)

Spreading the same load over a greater number of plates will do much more to reduce fade than just increasing the preload on the stack.

• bigred455

Posted August 13, 2008 - 04:03 PM

I see your point,but putting one more steel plate in the center, when you have the room,just to see if it works it is worth it. The clutch pull is so light on the 07 that is not even a issue. Throwing a extra plate in the center to help battle heat and it is free,why not. Yamaha left plenty of room in the stack,I see what you mean with the 06 clutch sure,but like I said why not.

I am sure you remember the CR'S of the 90's .They ran aluminum plates,but they also ran a steel plate in the center,just one plate. They did this because most of the heat in generated in the center. Even though The YZ 450 RUN STEELS ,adding one more steel in the center may be a fix. The only way to see is to do it,you cant say it wont work or it will,but I have to say it makes sense.I will get back with my findings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted August 14, 2008 - 10:21 AM

I had to change over to an 06 clutch setup when i got my Hinson slipper for my 07. Hinson does make one for the 07 specifically, but even they said the 06 clutch was better due to the extra plates - clutch lasts longer as the slipper is constantly slipping (duh) on deceleration

• bigred455

Posted August 14, 2008 - 10:47 AM

I had to change over to an 06 clutch setup when i got my Hinson slipper for my 07. Hinson does make one for the 07 specifically, but even they said the 06 clutch was better due to the extra plates - clutch lasts longer as the slipper is constantly slipping (duh) on deceleration

Hey copy that:thumbsup: Like I mentioned there is plenty of room in the oem clutch stack on the 07,especially on the center hub. Just for sh**s and giggles,I am going to try and extra steel,as soon as my buddy gets his ass up. The 07 450 USES THE SAME STEEL DRIVEN PLATES AS THE YZ250(2STROKE) I searched from 04-07 on the parts diagram,basically YAMAHA starting using the same plates as there YZ250 IN 07 for the 450f.
Infact if you go all the way back to the 97 YZ250,THE 07 YZ450F uses the same steel plates.

• bigred455

Posted August 15, 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have tested a good hr in the woods and the verdict is in.Running a extra steel plate in the center to battle some clutch fade with the 07 has no effect. I was totally put off from preloading the springs also,the lever was spongy. Like mentioned earlier,the first few break-in hrs on the 07 are the worse,with clutch fade. It does get better with time,it really isnt that much of a issue ,but I do gain a little from no clutch abuse at all. Just set the freeplay a little on the tight side ,just a little before you go out and after is is at running temp it will be where it needs to be. Like grey said switch over to the 06 set up,but I would definelty wait until you need a clutch.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.