Rear wheel, nearly all the spokes are loose!!!!!!

16 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:57 AM

On the rear wheel of my 2004 WR450 about 75% of the spokes have come loose. About 200 miles ago a few of the spokes were loose so i tighhtened them up but now most of them are loose.

I know the wheel will need to be respoked but does anybody now why this has happened? The bike has done only done about 3500 miles so it seems a bit poor that this has happened. Is this a common problem?

Cheers.

Lennie.

• beezer

Posted August 13, 2008 - 05:51 AM

Just keep tightening them Lennie.

• Lennie

Posted August 13, 2008 - 06:57 AM

They have been tightened but they are now so loose they cannot be tightened anymore, there is no thread left on most of the loose spokes !!!!!!!!!!

I always thought the yamaha / excel wheels were supposed to be good quality. My wheels were brand new a year ago!! The bike was a supermoto 2004 - 2007 and its been used on the dirt wheels since august 2007 but my back one is "worn out" in 3000 miles / one year of use.

• William1

Posted August 13, 2008 - 08:08 AM

If you let one spoke get loose, the others have more work to do, overstressing them. Continue to ride that way and all the spokes will become stretched, as you found out.

You need to check and tighten after each day's ride. This is especially true if you do a lot of jumping.

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 13, 2008 - 08:21 AM

I am not a moto wheel expert, but On mountain bike wheels you need to keep all the spokes at near the same tension or else you can stretch and break them, or the wheel will go out of true, or worse. Also a tigher wheel is a stronger wheel(to a limit), The tighter the spokes are, the magnitude of the change in stress will be less on each cycle the wheel turns, and the less fatigue the spokes will get.

I would guess that running them with little or no tension on them for >10hours of riding started the failure process and now they are stretching away.

Getting the tension well balanced should not be measured through spoke wrench torque, there are tools for measuring spoke tension, or plucking them for tone is usually good enough.

• GCannon

Posted August 13, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Lennie:
I think the problem is the hub and not the rim or the spokes. I thought I read something on the YZ forum about certian year hubs being manufactured with soft alloy. So the spoke heads may be wearing into the hub. I could be completlely wrong on this but it may be something to look into. :)

I seem to think there were a lot of problems with rear sprockets on the YZ's hubs failing and things like that. This problem may be associated with chains being too tight.

Maybe Grayracer could offer more information on this subject since I think he has delt with this quite a bit.:D

Keeping the spokes tight is your only defense. It may be too late for that now or maybe you could get shorter spokes.

• beezer

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:34 PM

You need to check and tighten after each day's ride. This is especially true if you do a lot of jumping.

I stop after every jump to check mine.

Some times I do it while I'm in the air.

• Bosco83

Posted August 13, 2008 - 05:59 PM

How do you know how tight to tighten them? If you make them too tight on on some and not others won't the rim be out of round? Is there a special torgue wrench so you know that they are all at the same tension?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 13, 2008 - 06:26 PM

This is really odd, i have hundreds, probably thousands of miles on my 04 WR and have never touched the spokes. I ride it really hard, and take all the jumps i can. i also ride some mx tracks too with 3rd gear jumps.

Let us know what happens on the next set.

• Swiveler1973

Posted August 13, 2008 - 08:10 PM

The spokes should be checked when the rim is new and they should be tightened evenly with a spoke tork wrench going around the rim 3 times on every 3rd spoke to insure they are even. This will give you maximum spoke life.

• Lennie

Posted August 13, 2008 - 11:02 PM

This is really odd, i have hundreds, probably thousands of miles on my 04 WR and have never touched the spokes. I ride it really hard, and take all the jumps i can. i also ride some mx tracks too with 3rd gear jumps.

Same as everyone else i know, just check them every now and them and its ok. My wheel has "broken" in less miles than all of my friends with similar WR's have done and they still have no problems and we all ride the same stuff.

• beezer

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:03 AM

Lennie bad luck flies around.

It has to land somewhere.

• Lennie

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:00 AM

Lennie bad luck flies around.

It has to land somewhere.

I know, the main point of this thread is to see if this is a common problem. I could buy a second hand wheel but if it turns out to be a fairly common problem then i would not buy a second hand wheel as a replacement. Understand? :)

• brad the best

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:22 AM

im gonna guess fluke . i have never respoked a rim , snapped 5 spokes in a race . bashed the rim straight with a dead blow . and threw in 5 new ones .

hit the spokes with a screw driver , tang is tight , tunk is loose . if they are all loose go around 1/4 turn at a time till all good , don't take a loose rim and crank down the first spoke 4 turns it wont work in your favor .

if only one is loose then tighten it down though .

shouldn't be more then 20$ for a shop to do it . jeez i get my mountain bike rims trued up on a jig for free usually .

• beezer

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Sorry Lennie I didn't know you were so sensitive.

You'd have thought I made fun of the queen or sumthin.

But anyway once spokes get really really loose usually from neglect you need a need new hub and spokes.

• wartsnuff

Posted August 14, 2008 - 08:48 AM

I stop after every jump to check mine.

Some times I do it while I'm in the air.

hehe you must be a big air jumper :)

cheers
Warts

• beezer

Posted August 14, 2008 - 09:08 AM

[QUOTEhehe you must be a big air jumper
][/QUOTE]

You got that right!

I can do 360's! (can't everyone on the intronet?)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.