yz to wr ignition swap(need baja lights)

51 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 05:36 PM

The interference at the clutch cable can be dealt with by using a WR clutch cable. The boss to mount it up to should be on the top of your crankcases. Or, as you have noted already, you can cut the case off. On the YZ's the ignition covers were magnesium in some cases, so check before welding.

Using the WR crank, there should be no problem using the flywheel/stator, and no spacers should be required.

A WR can be modded in several ways. Leo Vince and Vortex both make ignition boxes for them, and a set of YZ cams and some carb tuning will basically turn it into a YZ engine. Then, you'll have the fat 5th gear, and a lower 1st for the tight spots.

The forks can be swapped with '06-7 YZ forks ('08 would need a different caliper and front axle), or they can be reworked very successfully.

How much you should spend. That's hard to say?

• swatdoc

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Gary - thanks for the update. Could you explain in a little more detail on exactly in what way that the WR flywheel is "too big" for the YZ crank?

I would think you can't be talking about the overall diameter, as that should be a non-issue - the WR flywheel has to fit in the WR ignition cover.

So I'm thinking maybe the the diameter of the tapered hole on the flywheel is larger than the diameter of the tapered end of the crank? Is that what you mean? In other words the hole on the flywheel is too big and the WR flywheel just flops around on the YZ crank?

any way you could snap a pic?
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:51 PM

I asked him about that. He said the taper was larger than that of the YZF.

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Gray is right, the taper is smaller on the yz. Not even close. Everything else looks good thought. I think it will work but will have to split the cases.

I have really been trying to work out wether to continue on or get the wr. At the end of the day it really comes back to what I would have to do to the wr to bring it up to yz specs. Forks and shocks aren't cheap. Even after e bay I would be getting questionable stuff. And even with the free mods I would still not have yz performance without ignition swaps and such. As far as the gearing, I like the close ration in the woods and with 15/48 it will go 100mph. Thats enought!

So the wr is out and I am going to continue on. I will crack the cases tonite.

The only other issue I am worrying about is wether to go ahead and put on the e start while I am at it. I just added up the parts and it will be at least another $600. Plus where do I put the battery? It will not fit in the air box and still be able to get to the filter in a hurry. Under the skid plate is possible but I am worried about the heat. I have a small battery from trail tech for my lights but I don't think it will pull the starter. Also I suspect that the timing on the yz might make it a bit harder to turn over then the wr. Could get it all together then find that out. Plus just more stuff to fail in the middle of Baja. hmmm. Got enough yz bucks left to pay for it and it would also solve what to do with the starter mount on the side cover thought.

Even though I am going to have to split the cases I feel pretty good about this rather then having to fabricate a extention for the stator. Just one more thing to fail.

I will take some pictures as I go.

Gary

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 08:02 AM

With regard to the e-start, one important question is whether the socket for the starter drive idler shaft is correctly machined. It looks like it, but...

There are a lot of WR-specific hard points on the cases, such as lugs for the WR style clutch cable, and apparently, the starter motor, but the cases have different part numbers, so I don't know how complete the similarity is.

• Wiz636

Posted August 27, 2008 - 08:24 AM

To me the e-start is not worth the extra weight and money.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 27, 2008 - 11:38 AM

To me the e-start is not worth the extra weight and money.

took mine off the 04 and all the crap that went with it was 12+lbs,it never worked when you needed it anyhow;just a note....the starter doesn't bolt to anything but the sidecover and if you don't use it find the proper size expansioning engine block freeze plug to fill the hole(available from most auto parts stores):thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 27, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I am allmost positive that the sockets for the idler gear will match up. I also checked the part numbers and they are different but they do look the same. If I don't cut the side cover I am going to have to get the wr clutch arm. I don't think the yz will work from the new angle.

I hate to cut the side cover but I am pretty sure I am not going to do the e start now or in the future. I would not have to worry about the clutch arm and it would look cleaner.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 11:55 AM

The '07 WR starter outside end frame bolts to the left crankcase with two bolts, straight down into it.

12 pounds is quite a bit of weight just for the privilege of not having to kick the bike. Did that include the starter drive/clutch. or is that still bolted to the flywheel?

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 11:59 AM

If I don't cut the side cover I am going to have to get the wr clutch arm. I don't think the yz will work from the new angle.

It won't. The WR uses a cable like the '03 YZ450 had, routed over the engine and down behind it.

If the cover weren't so expensive, you wouldn't think twice about cutting it down. One other consideration on that point is carburetor access. Take a look at what that's like. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted August 27, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Gary - thanks for the update and bursting my bubble Ha Ha

For your battery issue, check out http://www.ebattonline.com/

they make small, lightweight battery setups

• ncmountainman

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:53 AM

The '07 WR starter outside end frame bolts to the left crankcase with two bolts, straight down into it.

12 pounds is quite a bit of weight just for the privilege of not having to kick the bike. Did that include the starter drive/clutch. or is that still bolted to the flywheel?

that was battery,extra wiring,all the crap behind the flywheel......everything.
i wasn't aware they changed the mount but if it still leaves a round hole those expanding freeze plugs work very well,but if the clutch arms gonna be a problem i did eventually cut the bulge off the case and tig it shut with a piece off what was cut off,real pita imo. also if your not using the starter why do you even need a battery,i grounded the system at the voltage regulator bolt (still using the regulator)and its still working without a batt;and don't the wr systems use AC power for the ignition,either that or the lights were;that was a long time ago.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:59 AM

i wasn't aware they changed the mount but if it still leaves a round hole those expanding freeze plugs work very well,but if the clutch arms gonna be a problem i did eventually cut the bulge off the case and tig it shut with a piece off what was cut off,real pita imo.

Yes, the drive end of the starter is cylindrical, and seals to a round hole in the cover with an O-ring, so a cup plug would indeed work.

So, seeing that you welded it, it was in fact aluminum, yes?

• ncmountainman

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:03 AM

the 04 was,i suppose a sure fire test would be to take some filings from a place that doesn't matter and put the torch to them;if they melt its aluminum,if they flare up its magnesium:excuseme:

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 29, 2008 - 05:38 PM

I pulled the engine, took top end, clutch gears etc off and took it to the shop today. Should get it back tomorrow with a wr crank end and with a little luck get it together this weekend.

After a little thought I am going to not cut the side cover. It looks like alot of work with alot that can go wrong. I took moutainmans advice and got a feeze plug that seems to fit perfect. It looks like I will though have to get a wr clutch arm. I think it is going to come together. When I retire this bike from the dirt world I am going to turn it into a street legal super motard. I am going to have to much in it to just sell it as is.

Gary

• swatdoc

Posted August 30, 2008 - 02:33 AM

be sure to take some pics Gary!

• henrics

Posted September 01, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Here is what i did
I wanted to be able to run 2*HID on my yz250f-06.
I just bought a flywheel and stator from a wr250f-01 (you could use -00 to-02 wr250-426f:s) Put the flywheel in the lathe made it fit the y250f crank and machined down the plate behind the stator, then just bolted it on the bike ,cut one of the leads to the cdi just like you do with the Moose stator.
Then there was light:banana:

http://web.telia.com...Hojen/ljus2.htm

• gdbarr1976

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:47 PM

Got my bottom end back today with a wr crank end! I put the flywheel,stator and side cover on to make sure everything fits and am glad to report all is good. I am waiting on some misc parts, base gasket and such but should have it running this weekend. It has been a some work and money but it is going to work. The more I think about it the more I am glad I went this route rather then a wr. I have taken pictures and will give a full report when I actually see some light.

Gary

• swatdoc

Posted September 02, 2008 - 11:18 PM

Right on Gary!
Looking forward to the pics!

• trailsweep

Posted September 13, 2008 - 06:56 PM

Got my bottom end back today with a wr crank end! I put the flywheel,stator and side cover on to make sure everything fits and am glad to report all is good. I am waiting on some misc parts, base gasket and such but should have it running this weekend. It has been a some work and money but it is going to work. The more I think about it the more I am glad I went this route rather then a wr. I have taken pictures and will give a full report when I actually see some light.

Gary

any update on your project?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.