2007 WR450 Electrical problem

11 replies to this topic
  • Vertigo

Posted August 12, 2008 - 04:06 PM

I recently bought the trickdualsport micro kit, installed it and after about 2 hours riding blew the headlight bulb. I though it might just be a fluke, so I replaced the bulb and blew that one too. I checked the AC voltage at the headlight and got 12.5V, but when I reved it off idle it jumped to 26V. I figured that's whats blowing the bulbs. I checked the AC mag resistance and it came in spec. I replaced the regulator/rectifier and now I'm only getting a steady 10.4V at the headlight. All the lights are working OK, but I'm still thinking something's not right. The manual says to replace the reg/rec if voltage is below 12.5V at 5000 rpm's. Anyone got an idea what the hell is wrong?

• willy_fitz

Posted August 13, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Did your kit come with a wiring diagram? Under normal conditions the headlight is powered directly off the lighting coil on the stator and is therefore AC powered. Without a wiring diagram it is difficult for me to comment on your issue though a poor ground could explain the low voltage.
I know with the Baja kits it is necessary to "float" the ground for the lighting coil. If this is required for your kit and was not done correctly this will also lead to a number of problems.

• Vertigo

Posted August 13, 2008 - 11:56 AM

The trickdualsport kit doesn't require any alterations to the stator. No wiring diagram either, only a couple of wires to connect. The headlight still operates off AC, but the tailight/brake is DC off the battery. I'm wondering if the new reg/rec I got was bad. I tried bypassing the the kit and wired the light back to factory condition but still got 10.4V at the headlight.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:28 PM

The 10.4 volts you are seeing at the headlight is an innaccurate measurement, because it is AC as you said. To check the reg/rec, put your DC voltmeter on the battery posts and tell us what the voltage is at idle and at 5000 rpm.

I don't know why you blew two bulbs.

• Vertigo

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:54 PM

I checked the voltage at the headlight as 10.4VAC with my multimeter. The DC voltage at the battery is 14.25VDC@ 5000rpms. Lighting coil resistance is .300 ohms. Everything is in spec but the AC voltage at the headlight. The Yamaha manual states to replace the reg/rec if the voltage is below 12.5 or above 13.5 VAC.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 13, 2008 - 01:37 PM

ok, does the light seem bright enough? I wouldn't worry about it since everything else is fine. obviously the bulb can't blow if the voltage is too low.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vertigo

Posted August 13, 2008 - 05:40 PM

The light seems fine, but it was fine before I blew the first bulb. Obviously the original reg/rec was bad. My biggest worry is that the stator has a problem and may ruin the new regulator. At $90 a pop I don't want to have to buy another one, not to mention I blew 2 PIAA H6M's and the stock bulb.

• freerider_australia

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:02 AM

the regulator is faulty
there is a seperate regulator for charging the battery
there is a seprate regulator for running lights
note both regulators are in the one moduale so u have to replace that moduale
i have had the same problem replace the moduale all ok

• tweav

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:34 AM

to be honest I would just do the floating ground mod and be done with it . if your running your wr on the street it will make your headlight steady so other drivers can see you. I did mine a year ago . it works great the headlight is much brighter . I have blown a like 3 bulbs since but have also logged over 5000 miles too.

• Vertigo

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I think I'm just going to buy the Trail Tec stator/reg kit and do away with the stock electrics. Shoulda done it to begin with....:)

• tweav

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I did the baja designs floating ground kit . it's only 40 bucks and has worked great for me . I do recommand soldering the connection in the stator along with the crimp . it only took me about 45 minutes to do . I think it would be worth a try . it comes with a bigger rectifier. And it's fairly ez to to. :)

• Vertigo

Posted August 14, 2008 - 09:21 AM

I talked to tech support at Trail Tech and went ahead and ordered their stator/reg kit. I've got a feeling something is wrong with my stator that caused the original rec/reg to blow. Trail Tech's website has some info about low voltage out of the rec/reg being a bad stator. I figure I might as well save myself the hassle and change everything now. I could have bought the Trail Tech kit for what I've already spent in bulbs and stock rec/reg.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.