How to Install a Hour Meter

18 replies to this topic
  • cdelap

Posted August 12, 2008 - 10:14 AM

I just bought a 2001 YZ 426 and was wondering if anyone has installed a Hour meter and if so had any recomendations for the installation

thanks

• Bigcr

Posted August 12, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Go Here: http://www.napalmracing.com/

I just mounted mine with their mount. CLEAN!

• matt4x4

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:05 AM

That's a nice mount, I made my own, but it's also off the front of the Triple clamp.
I picked up a B&G maintenance minder - up here the $40 motorcycle specific (yeah right) meter is $60 at best, I managed to get a B&G for $20.

• OldSkool

Posted August 12, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Go to Sears. They have them by the lawn mower section. 30 bucks. Zip tie it somewhere.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 12, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Go Here: http://www.napalmracing.com/

I just mounted mine with their mount. CLEAN!

looks nice, but its just one more thing that will have to be removed to get to the valve cover :)

and, in regards to installing an hour meter wire, you have to pull the coil off the spark plug and wrap 3 or 4 loops of the pickup wire around the top of the coil.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2008 - 04:47 PM

looks nice, but its just one more thing that will have to be removed to get to the valve cover :)

Can't be used with an oversized tank, either.

A friend of mine wanted one, so we stuck it to the inside of his air box with two-sided tape. You have to pull the seat to read it, but he's under there after every ride changing the filter anyway, so what's the difference? If it falls off, it will just drop into the air box.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted August 12, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I bought 3 Sendec hour meters with tachometers off of Ebay for $30 each for my YZ250, YFZ450, and YZ450. For the bikes, I bought strong double back tape from Home Depot and mounted them on the left side of the frame in front of the top of the radiator. I have oversized tanks on both bikes and no problems. Mount it on the left side so you can see the tach when adjusting the pilot circuit. On the 250 it has 3 wraps on the plug wire and on the 450s there are 3 wraps on the top of the ignition coil.

T-Daddy

• desert-rat660

Posted August 12, 2008 - 09:10 PM

i velcroed mine in the air box. makes it easy to detach

• cdelap

Posted August 13, 2008 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for all the help I plan on picking up a meter this weekend and should have it mounted ... I like the Idea of inside the Airbox

Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 14, 2008 - 08:40 AM

I have mine zip-tied to the throttle cables above the right radiator... couldn't get sticky tape to stick to the frame. It won't come off now until I want it to and is in an easy to read spot. I picked my meter up for around $20 on Ebay.

• bigkdx400

Posted August 28, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Ok, I have a dumb question. I need to install an hour meter on a 03 YZ450F but my hour meter simply needs 12v and a ground. I'm looking at the wiring diagram but I'm not seeing a good place to tap in to power. If I tap into the power side of the kill switch will that be enough to kill the ignition? How about tapping into the neutral safety switch circuit before the switch?

• mariop

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:55 PM

12 Volts? You sure it doesn't have one wire that wraps around the spark plug wire? What brand hour meter is it ?

• matt4x4

Posted August 29, 2008 - 10:25 AM

just because you see a red wire don't assume it's voltage - if you only have 2 wires, it'll likely be running off a watch batt internally and the red wraps the spark plug wire to sense the pulses.
While uninstalled - does it show 0 or is the screen blank?

• bigkdx400

Posted August 29, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I am a 20 year mechanic, ASE certified auto and diesal. My meter is industrial. No batteries to mess with. All I need to know is where I can get 12 volts off of switched power. Meaning when it is running it has 12volts and when it's off it doesn't.

• feirmeoir

Posted August 29, 2008 - 02:38 PM

All I need to know is where I can get 12 volts off of switched power.

On a motorcycle with a 12 volt battery.

What is a diesal?

• mariop

Posted August 29, 2008 - 04:42 PM

A YZF should not have a battery soooooo I don't know where you'd find 12 volts:confused:

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2008 - 07:55 PM

If the meter was intended for a dirt bike or any small engine application, the red lead is supposed to be wound over the high tension lead. There is no source of DC voltage of any kind anywhere on a YZF, so don't try connecting it to any part of the electrical system. Because there is no exposed "plug wire" to use here, you'll need to wind the wire around the coil/plug boot assembly below the rubber lip that seals the plug well at the cam cover. The unit operates off of inducted voltage picked up from the secondary circuit.

• William1

Posted August 30, 2008 - 12:28 PM

I think bigkdx400 has a standard Hobbs meter. Will not work in a YZ. These count time when energized by power.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 30, 2008 - 07:44 PM

I think bigkdx400 has a standard Hobbs meter. Will not work in a YZ. These count time when energized by power.

yep, that ain't gonna work too good...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.