What are the best chain and sprockets?

11 replies to this topic
  • Extreme_Diesel

Posted December 22, 2002 - 08:41 PM

I don't want to replace them ever again! :) BTW, I am still on the stock stuff. It's time for them to go. What are the longest lasting chain and sprockets? Thanks

• dangler

Posted December 23, 2002 - 04:13 AM

DID 520VM GOLD X-Ring Chain......$$$
SIDEWINDER Ti-Moly Sprockets.....$$$

• Steve_WR400F_#61t

Posted December 23, 2002 - 09:18 PM

Depends on what you use it for. I would stick with a good o-ring, better yet x-ring chain and a stainless steel Ironman sprocket. It's a little heavier than aluminum but it'll last alot longer.

• RCannon

Posted December 24, 2002 - 03:21 AM

I ams tarting to think most brands are decent. My maintenance (or lack thereof) is what makes the difference!

I buy all of my stuff from Rocky Mountain ATV. Their prices on chains are 1/2 of what the local shops charge.

• Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted December 24, 2002 - 09:28 AM

DID VM X-ring seems to last a long time with little maintanence. You see one for sale on EBay every no and then, typically for aabout $85.

• Burnrider

Posted December 24, 2002 - 11:50 AM

Renthal works good. I would try the x-ring DID next time. A lot of happy riders here use it. Stainless steel may be the way to go. I get 20 good trail rides or 1000 miles on my KLX. Bigger bikes will eat drive components faster than that. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Extreme_Diesel

Posted December 24, 2002 - 03:19 PM

Thanks all! What do you think about carbon steel sprockets?

• haresrambler

Posted December 31, 2002 - 05:36 AM

I had a 98 CR500, raced in harescrambles regularly. The stock chain lasted about 3 mths. The DID Gold had just came out had like 8800 lbs rating suppose to be the strongest chain out. I bought one with renthal sprockets. It lasted about 4 mths. It actually started breaking teeth off the front sprocket because it had stretched so much. I kept everything adjusted,lubed, etc.. A buddy had bought a regina o-ring with renthal sprockets and said he had never had to adjust yet(250cc). It was about 4mths old he had bought about the same time I had bought the DID Gold. I bought the regina and bought the FMF cobalt sprockets. Through numerous harescrambles I finally had to adjust about 1.5 years later! When it was about 2 years old I noticed the rollers had began having slack and had even lost a couple. With all this said I probably will NEVER buy another chain except the regina x-ring or o-ring. I can't say if the FMF cobalts were really that much better than renthal or any other, I think it was the chain that made the difference. If it can handle the abuse a CR500 gives it, its a good one!
By the way the DID Gold was not an o-ring. I raced with a guy who had a DID o-ring on his 500 and he said he did'nt have any complaints or problems with the DID o-ring. I can't say how long it lasted for him though. And yes my 99WR400 has a regina o-ring! Haven't raced it as much as the 500 but its about 1.5 years old and haven't adj. yet and rollers are like new!

• Boudroux

Posted January 02, 2003 - 08:59 AM

What is the difference between and X ring and an O ring? Do both have the little teflon spacers?

• haresrambler

Posted January 03, 2003 - 05:07 AM

The 520 o-ring(regina) is the std for offroad bikes. I'm pretty sure that the x-ring(900cc) and now the z-ring(1200cc) are mostly used for large size street bikes. The x-ring and z-ring are suppose to provide less friction. Most all have the same spacers etc.with vacuum injected grease but sum have what they call an x-pin. The x-pin is suppose to be alot harder and mor durable. I thought the regina x-ring was available for off road bikes as well. I did a search but couldn't find any x-rings listed for off road.

• mike_dean

Posted January 03, 2003 - 07:04 AM

I ran the DID X ring with Talon sprockets all yr adjusting it only 4 times in 100 hrs, great chain. Mike

• Wyatt

Posted January 03, 2003 - 05:12 PM

I vote for the DID X ring. It has been a great chain.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.