Wheel repair question

6 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted December 22, 2002 - 05:21 PM

While looking at the bike during its winter maintenance I noticed that the rim has bent out a little. I can only think of one time when this would have happened. That was when I misjudged a water hole and slammed the far bank luckily with no pinch flat. I have about 300 miles on the wheel since then and haven't had any problems and the tire seems to hold air pressure.

Can I just remove the tire and flatten out the rim with a mallet and board like I've done on mountain bike rims after a nasty pinch flat. Is the rim still safe or should I junk it?

Thanks,

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 22, 2002 - 10:51 PM

Don't worry about it, my rims are octogons, still work OK.

• Dodger

Posted December 23, 2002 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

Peace

Dodger :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted December 23, 2002 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless your wheel is actually out of true. Most likely, your talking about a dent on one side or the other, you'll never notice it. As long as you don't have a "S" curved wobble, the dent will not affect anything, nothing more than a battle scar.

I've got two sets of matching ones on my front, I hear chicks dig scars :D.....

BTW, I've heard bad things about actually trying to straighten them, some people say you can, others say it will produce a crack along the dented section........but that's all hear say, not actual hands on knowledge.

Peace

Dodger :) :D

• Pooley

Posted December 23, 2002 - 12:50 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just leave it alone.

If chicks dig scars, my WR must be the gigolo of all gigolos. It doesn't have one piece of plastic without stress marks, got a chipped headlight lens (on the inside) bent radiators and now a bent rim. Got a ripped seat cover where I was rear-ended on a trail and lots of scuff marks all over. I guess the learning curve on how to ride without crashing was a little steep at first but now I hardly ever fall over, unless I'm stopped and can't reach the ground.

• WR_Dave

Posted December 23, 2002 - 03:22 PM

Dodger is right , I tried to straighten a bent rim a few years ago and it cracked like an egg up the center of the bend. I used this info ( www.off-road.com/nov00rs/WheelTruing.html ) to install a new Excel rim. Good luck and Merry Christmas .. WR Dave.

• WR_Dave

Posted December 23, 2002 - 03:24 PM

Sorry the last URL was old , when you click on it ,type Wheel Truing and you will get the article I was talking about. WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.