Reasembly-crankcases

12 replies to this topic
  • walshy

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:11 PM

Will be reassembling the bottom end of my WR450 in the next few days, if the parts get here!
Went to my local Yamaha dealer to get some case sealant and asked for Yamabond #4 and the guy said he'd never heard of it!!!!:)
So he sold me some ThreeBond 1215 to do the same job!
I read the specs on it and it says its a silicone based gasket material for thicker filling requirements!
Sounds a bit dodgy to be using on case halves!
Any one here know for sure if its safe to use...:D

• matt4x4

Posted August 11, 2008 - 03:45 AM

It's likely fine, I used Motoseal by permatex on my WR cases, worked perfect - just as a comparison, the Motoseal was quite runny - does not build up very thick at all.

• jj546

Posted August 11, 2008 - 03:50 AM

It will be fine, I'm not sure it isn't the same stuff in a different tube.

• William1

Posted August 11, 2008 - 06:27 AM

+2 on the threebond.

• reed156

Posted August 11, 2008 - 06:34 AM

i work for a yamaha dealer the no longer make yamabond 4 witch makes me angery but we now use the threebond product ourselves and it works fine

• bigred455

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Threebond is all I use to seal cases I use 1211,excellent stuff,Threebond is definetly the way to go.I use no other sealant!! Check out that number on there website and see if it is the correct application.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:49 AM

When I worked at a Chevy dealer, I had available to me several sealants that are frankly superior to anything commercially sold at stores. There were a couple in particular that were formulated specifically for sealing machined aluminum cases without gaskets that absolutely rocked, but they are extraordinarily expensive when bought over the counter.

Threebond is a good product for the purpose, though.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 11, 2008 - 05:47 PM

ive had good luck with hondabond. its really expensive though

• walshy

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:18 AM

Threebond is all I use to seal cases I use 1211,excellent stuff,Threebond is definetly the way to go.I use no other sealant!! Check out that number on there website and see if it is the correct application.

Yeah bigred I think that No. "1211" is the right stuff, after reading some of their product specs!!!
Or it's at least better stuff:excuseme:

• bigred455

Posted August 12, 2008 - 06:33 AM

Yeah bigred I think that No. "1211" is the right stuff, after reading some of their product specs!!!
Or it's at least better stuff:excuseme:

Na you are fine with the 1215,the viscosity is just a little thicker,it will probably set up quicker. You are probably better off with the 1215,it is gray in color, match your cases better. Do not put globs of this stuff on your cases,a nice thin layer spread. If you over do it you will have extra silicone clogging lubrication points where oil needs to feed.YOU ARE FINE WITH THE 1215:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2008 - 06:42 AM

With any RTV sealant, surface prep is the key to success.

Before putting any parts into the cases, lightly sand the joint surface. Your purpose is only to add some "tooth" to the surface, not to remove any material. This will give the sealer a better bite, and help keep it from slipping on the surface later on.

Just prior to making the assembly, remove ALL oil and residue from the cases and be sure none will drip across the joint while assembling it. Use a commercial brake parts or electrical contact cleaner for this. Carb cleaners leave too much behind them, and can ruin the seal. The better products are more tolerant of oil and poor prep than others, but none of them work their best unless set up right.

• matt4x4

Posted August 12, 2008 - 07:08 AM

I've had great success using the non chlorine brake cleaners available - they seem to be less harmful to rubber as well - although there shouldn't be more than a few removable o-rings nearby.

• walshy

Posted August 14, 2008 - 02:39 AM

Very informative, thanks guy's!!! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.