Do you think sell or maintain?

8 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted August 10, 2008 - 10:37 PM

Im thinking about selling my 07 450 and getting an 08 or 09 yz 450. Id like to avoid doing the top end/ four stroke rebuild. Ive been told they cost around 1500 to rebuild when they do need it. The bike runs great now. All Ive had to do so far for maintenance is replace the clutch, drive chain, sprockets, clean the oil and change/clean the filters and change many a tire. I bought the bike new in june 07, its been super dependable and fun. The bike has alot of hours. However its my first real dirt bike, Had an xr600 prior for about 6 mounths, so alot of the hours are begginer hours. Im thinking it better to sell than rebuild when it is finaly needed? Also, how much do you think an 07 that runs great is currently worth approximatley?

• shortburb

Posted August 11, 2008 - 06:11 AM

$1500 is incorrect. If you pay someone to do it they may take you for a ride and stretch it to $1500 but I believe realistically if you take it to a shop, parts and labor should run around $4-600.

Persoanly Iv done my 03 several times and its way easy at this point. You can spend $200-300 on a piston and gaskets and have it done in a couple hours.

Obviously this is all depending on condition of your current cylinder and its need for a bore rather than just a hone to clean it up...

If you bought it new and have been doing frequent oil changes and it runs well-leave it. If you ride alot and its getting tired then it might be time to get in there and see what it looks like

06 and 07s around me in Denver have been going for about $3200-4k

• Family Man

Posted August 11, 2008 - 07:57 AM

So if I keep it its not really as big of deal. Sounds like you can get it rebuilt for about 900 ish. i can get an 08 new for 6100 otd at the momment. I do like my bike and the newer models dont seem to much differant.

• Justin89

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:29 AM

So if I keep it its not really as big of deal. Sounds like you can get it rebuilt for about 900 ish. i can get an 08 new for 6100 otd at the momment. I do like my bike and the newer models dont seem to much differant.

Just keep it. I just rebuilt my 2006's whole motor (besides valves and crank, which I would dought you need) for about $600. That included piston, rings, topend gasket kit, new cam chain, cam chain tensioner, shift index lever, some internal gears, oil pump, crank seals, crank bearings, and through in an OEM clutch while I was there along with new stearing head bearings and break pads. So if you are going to do it, get the 09. I just saw the 2009 at NCY in Esconditio and they are magnificent! But if I had the 2007, I would keep it. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigred455

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Keep that 07,I absolutely love them,check out NCY or troy on ebay,they have good prices on oem top end kits etc. The 07 YZ is definetly a keeper:thumbsup:

• Family Man

Posted August 11, 2008 - 10:45 AM

Allright sounds like Ill probley keep it. by the way how can you tell when its time for a new top end?

• bigred455

Posted August 11, 2008 - 11:05 AM

Since power drops gradually it is sometimes hard to detect,leak down test will show.

• Justin89

Posted August 11, 2008 - 12:02 PM

Allright sounds like Ill probley keep it. by the way how can you tell when its time for a new top end?

My bike started getting a little harder to start, oil started getting a little darker faster, exc. Kinda hard to tell, the bike seems to just loose its "umph" (if thats possible on a 450). I had well over 150 hrs on my bike...most of which were complete track/race hrs and it was my first top end:thumbsup:

• desert-rat660

Posted August 11, 2008 - 05:42 PM

they are really easy to rebuild, make sure the valves and seats look good. especially if u have alot of hours on it. or if u have seen dirt past the air filter.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.