Final Drive And Idle Suggestions For A '99 Yz400f

3 replies to this topic
  • P51Mustang

Posted August 10, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have a recently purchased '99 YZ400F, and have a few questions:

1. My YZ400F that is great for most riding, but is geared too high for some of the tighter wooded trails in my area. I have to slip the clutch more than I'd like, and am worried that I'll burn it out. I'm thinking that maybe I should change the final drive gearing, which I have verified is stock. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a good ratio? What chain length will I need with the change? Will I have to change the chain rollers/guides?

Thanks!

• desert-rat660

Posted August 10, 2008 - 02:58 PM

iuchange the sprockets you should change the chain along with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1998YZ400F

Posted August 11, 2008 - 11:59 PM

get a rear sprocket with more teeth or a front sprocket with less. just play around with a combo you like

• SRT426

Posted August 12, 2008 - 12:14 AM

Go 13/50 or 14/51 for tight woods. The stock chain length will work with these two setups. I run the 14/51 on my 426 in the tight stuff and it works great.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.