2nd guessing my decision

30 replies to this topic
  • Charles De Mar

Posted August 14, 2008 - 08:54 AM

Good plan Charles. I bet she rides the bike once and then it's yours.

But I'm still not going to give up any of my 250 secrets.

I think the 2fitty carries it's weight lower and less metal is spinning around inside it so it's easier to handle.

I love my little 250 and in about 2 hours I'll be out rapeing nature on it.

Shit Beeze you busted me:busted: But if you want a montana tour guide it WILL cost you!

• beezer

Posted August 14, 2008 - 09:06 AM

Okay I changed my mind.

262 kit, yz cam and yz exhaust offa eBay.

I swear for the tight stuff you can't beat a 250.

I take my 450 into the jungle but I really don't enjoy it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 14, 2008 - 02:08 PM

... If I really want a lighter weight 250f I'm going with the straight YZ250 and softening up the suspension.

Be careful before you do that. The wr450, although heavier, is a lot easier to ride than a pipey yz250. Its definitely lighter, but you will have other concerns.

A 250f has its benefits (including fun factor) and the yz250 has another set of benefits. Its a different kind of animal. There's a lot more to riding that just the weight of the bike.

I am speaking from personal experience

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:45 PM

I love my little 250 and in about 2 hours I'll be out rapeing nature on it.

First of all that statment is hilarious!! Raping nature pretty much explains riding a dirt bike.

Anyway back on topic, I think I may have over shot the amount of power I wanted when I bought the 450. See I came off a 96 XR 250 and no matter how I rode it, what gearing I chose, big bore kit, Hot cam, suspension tuning, or riding technique I could not get it to climb certain hills, and I'm a pretty advanced rider.

Although I love that bike, but the hills I couldn't make with it I can just rip right up with the 450. I would love to ride someones 250 to see how it is.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 15, 2008 - 07:33 AM

Be careful before you do that. The wr450, although heavier, is a lot easier to ride than a pipey yz250. Its definitely lighter, but you will have other concerns.

A 250f has its benefits (including fun factor) and the yz250 has another set of benefits. Its a different kind of animal. There's a lot more to riding that just the weight of the bike.

I am speaking from personal experience

No I know I was referring to a 250f. I like my 450:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 15, 2008 - 08:32 AM

No I know I was referring to a 250f. I like my 450:ride:

OK.... I was just making sure...

I have a yz250 and its a lot lighter and less tiring than my wr450.

But there are times when I still think its too much and had gotten a 250f.

• marshaltex

Posted August 15, 2008 - 01:36 PM

i went from and XR250r to a wr450. The xr was my first bike 1yr ago but riding a couple hours a day most days of the week I was ready for something else. I mean i could hang in the woods with my friends on the big bikes but theyd leave me on the long straights. The xr was lighter in the woods but I have conquered most of that on my 450 by adjusting my technique and throttle control. I did ride a friend of mine's yz250f up a rocky hill that he couldn't seem to get up and man did i have to fight that thing. The gearing was all wrong, power wasn't the problem. Being stuck ont he side of a rocky/sandy hill calls for lugging and traction, niether of which this bike had. I ended up revving the crap out of it and dummping the clutch and spinning up the side until i lost momentum and the started all over. :D On the same hill i decided to stop in the middle just to see how my 450 performed....Flawlessly.:) I would stick to the 450 if i were u do some push ups, eat you wheaties, and keep your kahones on the tank. That'll solve most of your problems I think.

PS if youve ever stalled out on the side of a big hill there is no saving grace like an E-start:busted:

• mikeythefokker

Posted August 18, 2008 - 02:07 PM

2009 Yamaha bike "wet" weights:
wr450f- 271lbs
wr250f- 260lbs
yz250f- 226lbs

I personally think that the 250f trail bikes are not a great package unless you are a very tame rider, or just getting started. You have almost all of the weight of the 450 and a huge difference in power. Granted, that the displacement difference does make the bike "feel" more than 11 pounds lighter, but to me they just feel sluggish. Getting a yz250f setup for the trails would take a few things, but you would really have a light and flickable bike that would be a ton of fun, and probably not feel too slow. Or you can just buy a cheap 2stroke for your motocross days and beat the hell out of it and not care. 1500 bucks can get you a decent smoker, and nothing is more fun than a 2 stroke that you don't really care about on a little screw around motocross track.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted August 18, 2008 - 08:23 PM

i went from and XR250r to a wr450. The xr was my first bike 1yr ago but riding a couple hours a day most days of the week I was ready for something else. I mean i could hang in the woods with my friends on the big bikes but theyd leave me on the long straights. The xr was lighter in the woods but I have conquered most of that on my 450 by adjusting my technique and throttle control. I did ride a friend of mine's yz250f up a rocky hill that he couldn't seem to get up and man did i have to fight that thing. The gearing was all wrong, power wasn't the problem. Being stuck ont he side of a rocky/sandy hill calls for lugging and traction, niether of which this bike had. I ended up revving the crap out of it and dummping the clutch and spinning up the side until i lost momentum and the started all over. :worthy: On the same hill i decided to stop in the middle just to see how my 450 performed....Flawlessly.:thumbsup: .

PS if youve ever stalled out on the side of a big hill there is no saving grace like an E-start:busted:

That sounds exactly how it felt for me. I rode an XR 250 and put a big bore and cam in it before I felt like I needed considerably more power. I rode this passed weekend both bikes, my old 250 and my 450. The 250 wouldn't even go 1/3 of the way up some hills that my 450 just blazed. In the trails the 250 was much easier to ride but not any faster, the 450 just takes more energy to ride.

• face_plant

Posted August 19, 2008 - 07:18 AM

i have been riding for 24 years give or take a few breaks

i found out last summer that the 450 loves hills as long as you find how to keep the front wheel down( its my first real thumper, xl250 dont count :thumbsup: )

i like to start out in 2nd 3rd on the hill back to second to roll off at the top
keep in mind on east coast what our hills look like

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 19, 2008 - 11:24 AM

My wr450 has just done me fine. In tight single track in Montana and Idaho to Rocky sandy areas like Pipestone. Yes, it can feel a bit heavy and yeah, I could sit at home and eat twinkies instead of going to the gym and have plenty of energy on the weekend come time to ride. The trails that are too steep , two narrow, I would prefer to have a trials bike or a pit bike for that matter. What ever you have get on and ride, have a good time or go ride quads and drink beer with Beezer. I bet he mentions something about cans somewhere along the way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.