Where is the overfill drain screw on a 06 450?

13 replies to this topic
  • Indyman96

Posted August 10, 2008 - 10:52 AM

does anyone have a pic of the overfill drain screw for a 2006 yzf 450? I dont know what one it is. I can never seem to get the right amount of oil during oil changes and i figure this must be a dumbass-proof way of getting the right oil level.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:52 AM

there isnt an overfill drain screw. the engine holds 1.27 quart of oil. the proper way to check the oil is to start the engine and let it run for 3 minutes then shut it off and remove oil tank dipstick. insert dipstick back into tank without screwing it in. and that will be your oil level.

• Indyman96

Posted August 10, 2008 - 12:06 PM

where is the oil level at on the dip stick when it is cold?

• desert-rat660

Posted August 10, 2008 - 12:21 PM

its not on the dipstick when cold. the 450 engine is a dry sump engine. when the engine is cold most of the oil drains out of the tank back into the crankcase. when u start the engine the oil is pumped into the oil tank. the oil tank is built into the front part of the engine, and thats where the dipstick is reading. u cant check oil level cold

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2008 - 03:57 PM

The '06 and later does not drain back to the crankcases as readily or as much as the earlier models because the tank is at the same level as the sump, instead of up much higher in the frame, but it does happen and it will affect the reading, so the advice should be taken nevertheless. For more info:

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Also, the '06 does hold 1.27 qts, but that's a total amount, not the oil change amount. When you correctly drain both the tank and the crankcases, AND change or service the filter, the engine takes 1.06 US quart, which is 34 ounces, or one quart plus 60cc. I add this amount with each oil change, and never have the wrong oil level by doing so.

But the overfill drain is located below the front sprocket, behind the shifter, and is an 8mm hex with a copper washer on it. It's illustrated on page 3-14. DO NOT use the overfill drain until AFTER you have run up the engine.

If you cannot get a good read on the dipstick even after the oil has been drained and refilled AND run up (indicates a too low level), check the pressure balance hose that runs from the right side of the engine to the top of the oil reservoir (tank) for obstructions.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 10, 2008 - 04:29 PM

does anyone have a pic of the overfill drain screw for a 2006 yzf 450? I dont know what one it is. I can never seem to get the right amount of oil during oil changes and i figure this must be a dumbass-proof way of getting the right oil level.

how much oil are u putting in the engine?

• Indyman96

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:11 PM

appearanlty too much cause when i check it after it runs it overflows out of the top. thats just 1 quart. i must not be draining enough from each side

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:16 PM

The engine must be shut down for at least 15 seconds before checking the oil level.

When draining the oil tank (left side plug), the dip stick must be removed in order for the tank to vent and drain correctly.

• Big Dog 809

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:30 PM

There is an over flow plug/level plug. The manual has a description and a picture of it on the LH side of the bike near the back of the engine. It is a 8mm head on the plug. I pull out the plug, and fill the oil until it comes out, then when the bike is started it is usually at the right level in the dip stick.

• bigred455

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:41 PM

I also put 34 ounces in regardless of filter change or not.I drain the oil so well 34 ounces gets me just on the 2nd line(DIPSTICK) counting from the bottom line every time.
Do not rev the motor,just let it idle for about 2 minutes,if you rev it the oil will be forced up and give a false reading ,TOO MUCH.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 11, 2008 - 04:55 PM

ya i tilt the bike to make sure i get all the oil i can out of it

• Hatchers

Posted August 17, 2008 - 10:04 PM

the honda 450r have a sight glass window for oil level....:)

• bigred455

Posted August 18, 2008 - 06:12 AM

ya i tilt the bike to make sure i get all the oil i can out of it

Exactly,there is plenty oil still left,tilt left for 30 seconds then tilt right and watch it come out. I do this a few times maybe a little too much.:)

• RJB

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:21 PM

I also put 34 ounces in regardless of filter change or not.I drain the oil so well 34 ounces gets me just on the 2nd line(DIPSTICK) counting from the bottom line every time.
Do not rev the motor,just let it idle for about 2 minutes,if you rev it the oil will be forced up and give a false reading ,TOO MUCH.

Good call together with Gray's tip on waiting 15secs. I've gotta recheck my oil level after last change. Was completely stumped, as drained oil, changed filter added about 1.0litre, poured old oil back into oil container (about 1.0litre), fired up, stopped, checked level and had oil overflowing out of the dipstick hole. :thumbsup: :worthy: May have been a bit quick on the check, or revved her a bit, so will fire her up today and check again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.