Oklahoma dual-sport conversion

30 replies to this topic
  • dw373

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:53 AM

I am currently working on street plating my '07 XR650R. I did a search in this forum to find out how to street legalize a dirt bike in Oklahoma... I didn't come up with anything that had the answers. After doing some research on my own, I think I have found the process (according to the OK Tax Comm). I will update this thread as things go along with plating my bike, but for now here is a start...

1. Make your bike street legal. It took a while, but I found the OK required equipment for street motorcycles at www.ocsn.net under Title 47, Chapter 12. This is all of the actual legal mumbo jumbo of what is required by law. You could probably find this info through the highway patrol also, but I'll save you some time and list the equipment here. This is compiled from the above findings and from what I was told by the highway patrol. There is more detail on the website such as height placement and minimum brightness of each item, but I'm not going to type all of it. Here is the shortened version...

Two rearview mirrors (yes, two! according to ocsn)
Speedometer (must register at least max speed limit for said mc)
Fenders over both wheels
Horn
Muffler (supposed to meet sound requirements, but who really checks?)
Front and rear turn signals for any bike 2005 or later (doesn't specify DOT)
At least one reflector (seriously, who's going to look for this?)
Brake light (doesn't specify DOT)
Headlight with hi/low beam (doesn't specify wattage or DOT)
Taillight (doesn't specify DOT)
Tag light (doesn't specify DOT)
DOT approved tires (tires cannot be marked "off-road use" etc...)

2. Go to www.tax.ok.gov and do a search for form 761A-MC. This is the form you fill out and send in to the OK Tax Commision to get the title for street use.

3. Send the above form (notarized) along with your title, bill of sale, or whatever proof of ownership you have for your bike, receipts for your dual-sport kit and/or all components used to make the bike street legal to the OK Tax Commision (address is on the form). I am also going to send in a brief letter stating that I am converting my off-road motorcycle to a dual-sport motorcycle, this is not required to my knowledge, but I like to make it easier for them and quicker for me.

I am going to make another phone call or two to the OTC with a few more questions I have regarding this process to make sure I am doing this right and don't run into any bumps along the way.

There is no required inspection that I know of. I spoke to the highway patrol and they didn't know of any inspection form or requirement to get a street title issued. Basically they said that since OK no longer requires yearly inspections on vehicles, it is the responsibility of the owner to comply with all federal and local laws concerning roadworthiness of your vehicle, and it is the OK Tax Commisions job for issuing titles, etc.

There are a ton of motorcycles on Oklahoma roads that are technically not street legal due to their modified exhaust, carburetors, smog block offs, etc, but anyone who is going to dual-sport their bike, please do it right so the lawmakers don't try to take away dual-sport conversions from us. Get the right lighting & equipment to be safe & legal. Use some common sense so that if Smokey pulls you over for doing a wheelie, the only ticket he writes you up for is the wheelie!

I will update as things go along...

Dan

• DMC707

Posted August 14, 2008 - 02:09 PM

cool , i will be paying close attn. to this ---- i would like to re-gear my yz and ride it to Draper occasionally (about 10 miles) as well as run around town

• dw373

Posted August 21, 2008 - 06:41 PM

I got my MSO in the mail today and also got my plate! I made another call to the OK Tax Commision (motor division) and found out that I was given the wrong info before. You only have to use the form 761A-MC if you are actually building a complete motorcycle or trike and need to list all of the serialized components used in building the bike.
I have updated my original post, so check it out... the process was easy!

NOTE! I don't know if you can make a two-stroke bike legal for the street in OK, I think it's a big NO, but I'm not sure...???

How to get your dirt bike registered for the street in Oklahoma...

1. Make your bike street legal. It took a while, but I found the OK required equipment for street motorcycles at www.ocsn.net under Title 47, Chapter 12. This is all of the actual legal mumbo jumbo of what is required by law. You could probably find this info through the highway patrol also, but I'll save you some time and list the equipment here. This is compiled from the above findings and from what I was told by the highway patrol. There is more detail on the website such as height placement and minimum brightness of each item, but I'm not going to type all of it. Here is the shortened version...

Two rearview mirrors (yes, two! according to ocsn)
Speedometer (must register at least max speed limit for said mc)
Fenders over both wheels
Horn
Muffler (supposed to meet sound requirements, but who really checks?)
Front and rear turn signals for any bike 2005 or later (doesn't specify DOT)
At least one reflector (seriously, who's going to look for this?)
Brake light (doesn't specify DOT)
Headlight with hi/low beam (doesn't specify wattage or DOT)
Taillight (doesn't specify DOT)
Tag light (doesn't specify DOT)
DOT approved tires (tires cannot be marked "off-road use" etc...)

2. Gather up your documentation for the items you added to your bike to make it street legal. The OKTC asked if I used a kit and told me to provide receipts for the kit. I used the Baja Designs kit and used the receipts for the kit, mirrors & speedometer as documentation.

3. Write or type up a letter stating what you are doing. Be sure to mention that the bike is already a complete motorcycle, you are just adding the necessary lighting and safety equipment to the bike to make it street legal. If you are making a frankenstein bike or building one from a kit or a pile of parts, you need to use the form 761A-MC.

3. Take your documentation along with your MSO, title, bill of sale, or whatever proof of ownership you have for your bike, receipts for your dual-sport kit and/or all components used to make the bike street legal, proof of insurance and your letter to your local tag agent. Simply explain to them that the bike is now street legal and you would like to get it titled as such as well as a license plate. Most tag agencies had no idea how to get a dirt bike plated when I spoke to them on the phone. When I showed up with documentation, receipts, and the info I got from calling the OKTC in OKC, it went quick and easy. I walked out of the tag office in about 15 minutes with my license plate and registration in hand.

There is no required inspection unless your title is from out of state or otherwise requires a VIN inspection done at the tag office. If that's the case, you will have to take the bike to them to inspect the VIN, but you can still get a license plate without the VIN verification, but you will not get your title until after the inspection.
Basically, since OK no longer requires yearly inspections on vehicles, it is the responsibility of the owner to comply with all federal and local laws concerning roadworthiness of your vehicle, and it is the OK Tax Commisions job for issuing titles, etc.

There are a ton of motorcycles on Oklahoma roads that are technically not street legal due to their modified exhaust, carburetors, smog block offs, etc, but anyone who is going to dual-sport their bike, please do it right so the lawmakers don't try to take away dual-sport conversions from us. Get the right lighting & equipment to be safe & legal. Use some common sense so that if Smokey pulls you over for doing a wheelie, the only ticket he writes you up for is the wheelie!

I have my plate in hand, but it will be a week or two before I actually get a title in the mail. So far the battle is going well, I will update after my title has arrived...

Dan

• DMC707

Posted August 29, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Are you in the OKC area? If so, which tag agency did you use? If i went to the same one it might be less confusing if they have already done one

btw --- my bike is a yzf, not a 2t --- i guess i still refer to all yammie mx bikes as YZ's still

• Yzflyboy1

Posted August 29, 2008 - 11:03 AM

The easiest way I have found if you are in the OKC area is to go to the OK Tax commission at 2501 N Lincoln. Take your notarize bill of sale or MSO along with your receipts for the parts to convert it to them and they will fill out the forms do a vin check (if you have the bike) and give you your tag and you can ride it home if you want. You will need insurance verification. They seem happy to do it and it only took about 20 min. Don’t go the tag windows go to the desks on the left. I have done a YZ before but the last one I did in November was a WR450. It is not uncommon to them and seemed easy to me.

• dw373

Posted August 30, 2008 - 02:05 PM

All is good with my tags. I received my title in the mail yesterday and the bike is now completely street legal in Oklahoma. The tag agent I went to was in Tulsa, but they didn't know the process... I explained it to them and told them I talked with the main office in OKC. I suspect that most tag agents won't know the process, so it's certainly helpful if you do. I hope this helps.
Dan
Skiatook, OK

• taj253

Posted September 17, 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hey Dan, did your MSO state "off road use only"? I almost had an ok from the KS DMV to title a CRF250X, but that phrase on the MSO red flagged it, and I couldn't get it done.

• vpunisher

Posted September 17, 2008 - 11:10 AM

Did it like DW373 said. Got my tag for the XR400 last Thursday.:excuseme:

• r3d

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Just like to say thanks dw373,
Your time and efforts are much appreciated, I completed the process Friday June 15, 2009 following your post as a guide. I took everything to the tax commission as mentioned by another post and everything went well. The only hitch I ran into was lack of proof that my bike had a speedo, (09 KLX 450r) came with from the factory. They insisted that I produce a notarized affidavit from the dealership that the bike came factory with a speedo. So that was about an hour detour, other than that everything went very smooth. Walked out with a tag, the title should arrive in a few days. Thanks again.

• DMCCOY

Posted April 01, 2010 - 02:32 PM

I'm about to attempt to get a title and plate for a 05 450exc. All I have for proof of ownership is a bill of sale and a copy of the Certificate of origin. For those of you who had success tagging their bikes, did any of you use a bill of sale that wasn't notarized? Mine is not.

• Jaketinaboxer

Posted April 06, 2010 - 06:13 AM

i'm about to attempt this with the drz, did you like the baja kit?

• r3d

Posted April 07, 2010 - 04:08 AM

got any friends that have a stamp?

• DMCCOY

Posted April 08, 2010 - 04:14 AM

I think I found one that does.

I also found out that as of July 2005 Oklahoma changed it's laws and any new motorcycle sold, the buyer no longer paid tax at the dealer. Instead the buyer was supposed to go to the tag agency and pay tax and get a title in their name. My ktm 450 was purchased in Aug of 05. So, neither of the previous two owners ever registered it and I only have a bill of sale. I went to the tag agency and called the OTC number. I have been told unless the first buyers first transfer the bike into their name then to me, I cannot get a title easily.

What I have found out is that I can get a title by something called a "title 42" process. Then I will follow the first posters method of getting it street legal. I have a number to a lady here in Tulsa that will do the whole Title 42process for under $75. From what I have read there is alot of paperwork and timelines involved and rather than do it myself I'm going to pay her. I'll follow up on how it works out.

The other way that was suggested to me was to go to the court house and get a petition for the judge to give a court order to the tag agency to give me a title.... I'd rather not do this just yet.

http://www.google.co...KcAUwJl-8RVJ-nQ

• Jaketinaboxer

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:58 AM

doing a title 42 isn't bad, if your paying someone to do it lol. I would go that route.

• DMCCOY

Posted April 10, 2010 - 04:06 AM

ha, yeah I don't have to do anything and the lady told me it will cost me about 50$ for her fees. She doesn't even need my bill of sale....It takes a little while though, should be about 7 weeks then I'll (hopefully) have a title.

• danw5zt

Posted December 08, 2010 - 01:27 PM

DanI expected major hassles in licensing my '07 KLX-300 here in Oklahoma but I walked into the Woodward tag agency with almost no paperwork and about 5 minutes later walked out with a license plate, and my title arrived soon after. Couldn't have been simpler.

see ya, Dan K.

• ROBELLO_103

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the info, I succesfully tagged my pitbike which is a SDG 107 in del city, ok. Took me about 30minutes, my bike was originally registered in CA so they had to even do a vin check. Very excited!

• redleger

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Is this information still current? I am looking at buying either a CRF450X or WR450x and going from 2 bikes to one. I want to plate whichever one I buy. Recently moved to OK and was wondering if all of the information in this thread applies. The dealership was clueless and seemed to think it couldn't be done.

• redleger

Posted November 05, 2013 - 12:09 AM

Just for situational awareness: recently plated a DRZ400E and minus my title issue the plating part took literally 5 minutes. Gotta love Oklahoma for that. Enduros are the way to go here IMO

• treefrog

Posted March 25, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Just for situational awareness: recently plated a DRZ400E and minus my title issue the plating part took literally 5 minutes. Gotta love Oklahoma for that. Enduros are the way to go here IMO

Im in fort sill and have gotten my WR street legal. I have the title and bill of sale. Is this all I need to take to the tag agency?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.