Cylinder coatings for a yz426f big bore kit

7 replies to this topic
  • curthall11

Posted August 09, 2008 - 04:10 PM

I am looking at getting a big bore kit for my yz426f. The 2 kits that I am looking at are the Luke's Racing and the Max Power kit. The Luke's racing kit has a Nikasil coating and the Max Power has a Apticote Ceramic 2000 coating. Which is better or what are the differences?

• foxz

Posted August 09, 2008 - 04:40 PM

what cc are they and whats the cost if you dont mind me asking. thanks

• curthall11

Posted August 09, 2008 - 05:46 PM

The are both 444. The Luke's kit goes for $425 and the Max Power kit goes for $550. I just didn't know if one of the coatings was better than the other.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 09, 2008 - 09:56 PM

i believe apticote and nikasil are the same thing, just different names for it.
i read about it here at this site

http://www.enginebui...no_testing.aspx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2008 - 10:10 PM

Apticote 2000 and NiCom (and others) are names for basically the same thing: Nikasil (electrodeposited oleophilic nickel matrix silicium carbide coating (NiSiC)). Nikasil was first introduced by Mahle (a German engine component company) in 1967, and it has been undergoing tweaking by industrial chemists ever since. Every once in a while, someone comes up with a new flavor and puts a new name on it.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 09, 2008 - 10:19 PM

nice post gray

• foxz

Posted August 09, 2008 - 11:41 PM

mahle makes one of the best pistons for car/truck engines so they know their shit

• curthall11

Posted August 10, 2008 - 06:34 AM

Well thanks guys for your posts. I guess Luke's is the way to go if the coatings are the same.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.