wr450 2007 air filter change--now wont run!!!

8 replies to this topic
  • nlsiii

Posted August 09, 2008 - 09:43 AM

OK so I have just changed my air filter, followed directions, and my bike wont stay running! I get it started, let it warm up and then it dies... I have to wait 15-30 minutes before it starts again and then the same thing happens... Could it be too rich? I made sure to not put too much oil on the filter. Any suggestions?

• Fryboy

Posted August 09, 2008 - 09:53 AM

I'd check your pilot jet is sounds like it may have some dirt in it. This could happen as you took your filter off some dirt could have fallen in and then when you started it is sucked it in.....

Changing your filter this is the only scenario I can think of. Hopefully Clarke will help you as he is a wizz with these bikes.

-Dave

• WR_Dave

Posted August 09, 2008 - 11:28 AM

The filter oil hasn't setup yet so it is basically plugging the filter, you have to wait a few hours after oiling a filter before running the engine. A better solution is to have 2 filters, that way one is always ready to go. Your situation is flooding the engine( too much fuel, not enough air) WR Dave.

• nlsiii

Posted August 09, 2008 - 12:15 PM

thanks guys--the bike sat for a while now and seems to be running just fine! Noy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mightymart

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Years ago I put a air filter on slighty on the pi$$ which left a open gap, The bike did not start even after being towed behind a car, after closer inspection of the air filter & putting it on staright (With no gaps !!) it started straight away on the first kick.

• metalworxman

Posted January 01, 2011 - 02:04 PM

Will start but acts like its not getting fuel..plenty coming out the overflow..
pilot jet clogged? wont stay running? valves are in spec.. any thoughts..
also squiks coming from starter?
thanks

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 01, 2011 - 09:01 PM

This is going to sound stupid, but when i was a young bloke I had similar trouble with a bike of mine. It wouldn't start at all after an air filter change.

Turns out i had left a rag in the carb intake! :excuseme: :busted:

Greg

• WR_Dave

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Will start but acts like its not getting fuel..plenty coming out the overflow..
pilot jet clogged? wont stay running? valves are in spec.. any thoughts..
also squiks coming from starter?
thanks

You need to give a little more info, but on a guess I would say that either the float is allowing too much fuel to enter the bowl as in a stuck float. Or if the bike is a bit older the O-ring around the float needle seat has disintegrated to the point where fuel can flow past the outside of the float needle seat. Both situations will cause flooding and fuel flow out the overflow tubes. Starter squeaks can be due to overheating the starter and wearing out the plastic bushings. These bikes should only be cold started using the kicker, which spins the engine over faster than the e-starter. Once the engine is warm the e-start works fine. WR Dave

• metalworxman

Posted January 03, 2011 - 01:39 AM

took out pilot and slow jets blew em out put it all back together and it runs like a raped ape!:busted:
I saw the thread on airfilter and clogged jets and thought id check that and sure enough that was it!:excuseme:
so thanks to the forums i got what i needed and got it back on line!
You guys rock!
Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.