stripped chain tention locking nut

6 replies to this topic
  • jsimonette

Posted August 09, 2008 - 06:02 AM

I don't know if this is what you call it, but i just stripped the lock nut on my chain tentioner on my yz450f. Does anyone have any ideas on tools or methods to help me.

Much appreciated

• clutchless

Posted August 09, 2008 - 09:11 AM

I did this on my 250f a couple years ago

i think i loosened the 10mm bolt, pulling the nut away from the swingarm.

you can get the 10mm ring spanner end on the bolt's hex head. it takes a little force to turn the bolt and the stripped nut. i also shot a bunch of wd-40 in there to help it turn.

be careful not to snap it off.

you probably only stripped one side of the nut so once you rotate the bolt and the nut you can get a 12mm on the nut and loosen it right up.

mine stripped because the 12mm spanner wrench i was using was a little worn. i replaced it when i replaced the nut and bolt in the swingarm.

• jsimonette

Posted August 09, 2008 - 03:40 PM

thank you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I assume you mean that you rounded off the lock nut, not that you stripped it. Remove the wheel and then try the method above. With the axle out of the way, you can slide a 12mm box end over the bolt, tap it down on the nut (use a 6 point if you have one), and apply as much torque as it will take while you also turn the adjuster bolt itself. Almost always works. Replace the nut, of course.

Always loosen the axle before the adjuster so that you can turn the bolt and locknut together. It helps avoid this.

• hillclimbguy

Posted August 10, 2008 - 12:01 AM

Sometimes those nuts and bolts get so tight. The first day I got my bike was remove the bolt and put anti-seize on the threads.
Snap on makes a nice open end wrench made for rounded nuts. I carry that with me on the trail.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2008 - 07:51 AM

That would be this, I imagine:

http://buy1.snapon.c...ore&dir=catalog

They are called flare nut wrenches, designed for gripping 5 sides of the flare nuts on fluid lines. I have one in the tool box also, just for the chain adjuster, just in case. Here's a better look at the way the jaws of such wrenches are made:

http://s7.sears.com/...hei=180&wid=180

• swaldrop

Posted August 10, 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have done this twice now on my 450 and I had never had it happen before this bike. Weird.

Anyhow, remove the wheel and axle completely, then use a 12 point 12mm deep well socket to slip over both, the 10 and 12. You may have to tap it on to get it around the stripped surface, but once it is on, just back it out with the ratchet. Works every time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.