Oil filter drain hole diameter & depth

11 replies to this topic
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted August 09, 2008 - 03:58 AM

All,

I have a new 07 450 and haven't been able to ride it as it is too hot, so no oil change yet. I have been reading all the threads on the oil filter draiin hole and the thread damage issues to the hole from metal particles. I really like Gray's fix with the ball bearing or hole block fix. I was considering having an aluminum press fit plug (silghtly tapered) machined to size and was wondering if anyone has measured the hole diameter with a gage pin and know the exact size of it? Also, what would be the recommended depth of the plug before it starts entering the threaded area? I can measure it myself , but if someone has already done it then it will save some time.
Gray - do you know? Does this sound like a reasonable fix?

T-Daddy

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2008 - 03:40 PM

I believe the hole is 3mm to begin with, but I didn't gauge it exactly. Your fix is reasonable enough except for all the work the goes into machining a plug for the job when it's so easy to get 3/16" balls. I see no advantage to making a plug for the purpose. :)

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:01 AM

i did the ball trick like u last nite, i had an old 3/8 extension i drilled a hole in the back of it to get the ball out,i went to tap it into the hole and accidently dropped it down the oil feed hole which i should have plugged up:banghead:
needless to say i had to turn the bike upside down to get the ball out. but the ball worked great, i just tapped it right into the hole.
Good thinking Gray:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:28 AM

... i had to turn the bike upside down to get the ball out.

:D :doh: :worthy: :blah: Oh, now there's a mental picture for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the laugh. :busted:

• bigred455

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Your heart must have dropped when the ball dropped.:thumbsup:

I plugged my oil filter drain hole with a piece of 6 gauge copprer wire cut into a small piece.I grinded down the tip so it would fit the hole but the rest of the piece is tapered thicker. Then I got a screwdriver the handle end and packed it in nice and tight. 5 rides did not budge. Neither of our methods it will not come loose,even if it did from the oil pressure,the filter will stop it from going any farther. I changed the filter twice after the plugging,the bolt has never been soooooo smooth threading in.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:04 AM

ya second time around i plugged it with a q-tip, but its in there now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigred455

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:13 AM

I am thinking if you didn't get it out,which by the way very lucky:thumbsup: .That hole to the right where the ball was dropped , oil feeds into the well.If the motor was started for a couple seconds,I would think the ball would have came out with pressure from the pump.Regardless GOOD SHOW!:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:24 AM

I am thinking if you didn't get it out,which by the way very lucky:thumbsup: .That hole to the right where the ball was dropped , oil feeds into the well.If the motor was started for a couple seconds,I would think the ball would have came out with pressure from the pump.

Unless it rolled into the oil pump an broke it when you tried to turn the engine over. :thumbsup: :worthy:

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:31 AM

exactly why i wasnt going to start it.

• bigred455

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:53 AM

Unless it rolled into the oil pump an broke it when you tried to turn the engine over. :thumbsup: :worthy:

Surely that could happen,but I would think it would have stopped before totally hitting the pump gear. Taking the inner clutch case off would be the correct and safe way.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Then again, if you turn the bike over and it rolls out on the floor, why not? (still laughing) :thumbsup:

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 12:57 PM

exactly!! i would have to replace the case gasket and such, i took the gas tank off and dumped it on its lid, out it rolled. didnt take over 5 minutes!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.