Timing

4 replies to this topic
  • WR_Man

Posted June 06, 2002 - 07:23 PM

Is it true that the timing on the WR i 1 click lame???

• blue_beast_wins

Posted June 06, 2002 - 10:00 PM

Can't understand what your saying (man)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 07, 2002 - 02:38 AM

Wild guess here. The cam timing on the WR is 1 sprocket tooth retarded? If that's it, yes.

Good luck,
mwc

• SNF

Posted June 07, 2002 - 05:24 AM

Lame is a subjective thing. The timing works... In tight rocky rooty stuff it may be considered a benefit. For fun roosting and power situations it lacks, but still works, you just need to run higher in the revs to get it... You don't need to run a flywheel weight.. The bike is probably easier to ride and more forgiving. Lame? I don't think it's lame, but it is different. Now if we could just flip a switch and be able to get both when we want it...

As I understand it, the WR 400 has its exhaust cam timing advanced,, earlier exhaust valve opening and closing, with less overlap relative to the YZ 400. This is equivalent to one tooth on the cam sprocket. If you want to get more bottom and mid hit you can retard the exhaust cam by one tooth. I got the kit from Baja Designs, good instructions, jets, needle, good price.

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: SNF ]

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 07, 2002 - 04:58 PM

SNF,

Wow, another brain fart. I was thinking of the change from WR to YZ being retarded. You're right.

Thanks,
mwc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.