My analysis is complete. Better engine performance.

90 replies to this topic
  • chim-chim7

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:35 PM

Before I went off and made a statement about what I have been running the last month in my fuel, I wanted to completely test it first. Since I ride motocross, I have two five gallon jugs that I fill with fuel once a month, and just gas up the bike from home. Hate gas stations. I added Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant to my fuel. Lucas is the only brand of additaves I trust. I added 4 oz. to ten gallons of fuel. The recommended amount was 3oz. That seemed a bit low. It's very oily. Immediately I noticed that the engine internals were much quieter at every rpm. On the freeway, the engine has a definate smoother feel. I also noticed that I had to turn my idle down some, it went up, maybe because the mixture, or a slicker surface and the piston moves easier. There is no smoke, no smell, and absolutely no deposits on my plug. Actually this stuff is supposed to clean off carbon and other deposits. They claim an increase in power(I did feel some) and a increase in fuel mileage. I didn't really notice any, but maybe it did. The engine temp went down about 10 degrees, verified with a infared temp gauge, right at the cylinder, but there are just to many variables to be certain of that. Since it lubricates the entire fuel system the lubricant has fuel stabilizers in it to prevent varnish and deposits in the carb. I am stuck on it now. Just wanted to pitch it out there to you guys. I purchased it at Pep Boys, but now I forgot how much it was. Somewhere around 10 dollars if I remember right. That treats 100 gallons.:) Let me know your thoughts.:D BTW I was testing it in my low mileage 2008 DRZ400 SM. I now run the stuff in my MX bike. I also believe that I will see much more mileage before a rebuild is in order with continued use.

Posted Image

• jrmobb

Posted August 07, 2008 - 12:17 AM

While i dont believe a increase in HP or gas mileage , It def sounds like a good idea for added lube. I love lucus products. thanks for review!

• GuyGraham

Posted August 07, 2008 - 02:36 AM

Placebo effect?

I'm sorry to be sceptical, but if any of these additives (and there have been many over the years (slick 50, Xtralube, ZX1, fuel cat etc) were any good, then one of the big oil company's would have bought the technology years ago

ZX1 has been shown to be harmful by independant tests
Tests were conducted by the Silkolene lab (many people on here rate Silkolene oil)

Posted Image

Fuel cat showed no benefit

Posted Image

• rustyknife

Posted August 07, 2008 - 04:03 AM

http://bobistheoilgu...lucas/lucas.htm

Read that, you probly wont ever use lucas oil stuff again at least. I've never really been a fan of their stuff and that sealed the deal for me

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:38 AM

you want no "lube" above the rings ever.

• ptgarcia

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:47 AM

Read that, you probly wont ever use lucas oil stuff again at least. I've never really been a fan of their stuff and that sealed the deal for me

That link refers to an oil additive. The OP is referring to a fuel additive. Apples and oranges.

• MesserSchmidt

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:50 AM

I'm 100% against the use of oil additives, but as far as gasoline additives go I haven't seen any data suggesting they do any harm. Most probably don't do any good either, but I have to say, I did have a car that seemed to run better after using that lucas fuel additive in a few tanks...after a couple tanks it didn't make a difference anymore so I assumed it must have cleaned something out of an injector or something. I tried it in a few cars after that and never did notice a difference.

But hey, if you feel like it makes a difference, by all means use it. Like I said it's not gonna hurt anything, and the stuff is pretty cheap, a $10 bottle in $400 worth of gasoline isn't much.

• zac949

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:57 AM

wow! that was a great article. i would not have guessed the lucas additive would make things worse:crazy:

• rusty 92

Posted August 07, 2008 - 06:06 AM

Heres a proven fact for me ...I decided to use this stuff called ER in my racing go kart well before we had a perfect temp. out of because we run these at a certain temp. to get hax, power but anyway we put ER in it and could never get the right temp. out of it so we couldnt figure out why it was so much lower we tried everything to get it back up jetting and all but we replaced te oil and decided to leave out the ER and guess what we were at perfect temp. again actuallly a little ht because we changed hte jetting so we changed it back to what we had and the perfect temp .. that sold me on ER i run it in our 2 stroke gas and 4 stroke engine oil its great stuff

• DontTellMeAboutCajun

Posted August 07, 2008 - 07:01 AM

I've used Lucas upper cylinder lube in all my applications for about the past year - KLX400SR, lawnmower, weedwacker, car, etc. and have noticed mild performance gains in all. Not so much in terms of HP, but in maintenance, mpg ratio, and engine noise reduction (especially on the KLX). I don't measure it, just a quick squirt in the tank before fueling. I'm knowledgeable about not adding additives to engine oil/gear oil, but fuel additives are a much different ballgame. Naturally, gas is petroleum-based and therefore is a lubricant, so-to-speak (though very, VERY mild in lubricating capacity). Petroleum-based fuel additives work well to assist in lubricating the fuel system's moving parts (i.e. carb internals, injectors, etc.) as well as providing corrosion protection. They also aid with carbon deposit and gunk removal as an emulsifer - they saturate the deposit an loosen it from the surface. They work well to clean the internals and also keep them moving smoothly; this is where you get mild gains in mpg and performance. Just my two cents on this :) I'm a believer, these products do work to an extent. But don't expect anything spectacular - they're more of a preventative-maintenance type of product than performance (marketing 101: "performance product" will sell better than "preventative maintenance product")

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • supermotogreg

Posted August 07, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hi chim, :D

It sounds like a logically beneficial product regardless of the subjective symptoms.:) That's one reason I keep detailed cumulative mileage figures. They can objectively track changes which are too subtle for me to sense.

Take Care,

Greg

• 06wrx

Posted August 07, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Nothing can replace a good quality oil, with regular changes.
I'm sorry but with something such as an oil additive, or fuel additive(except a good quality octane boost-even then nothing beats race fuel), it will NEVER make such a big difference in power that you will be able to feel.
Its all in your head, honestly. I have some oil additive, it'll give you 3 more horsepower, and better MPG, wanna try it?

• Twinjetguy

Posted August 07, 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hey guys,

On the topic of fuel additives...Has anyone googled "acetone in gas"? A neighbor of mine told me about this and I have tried it. I have NOT tried it in any of my motorcycles because I don't care about mileage on them. I AM using it in my 4 cylinder truck and have seen HUGE improvements in mileage. The best my truck would do on the freeway with nothing in it was 22.5 mpg. I started adding the acetone and get this, with my truck fully loaded for my trip to Moto GP, I got just over 26 mpg! This was with the truck LOADED! Around town the best my truck would do was 21-21.5 mpg. With the acetone added, I am getting 24-24.5 mpg.

I know there are a lot of people that say this stuff does not work, but it works awesome in my truck! I couldn't believe I got 26 mpg with it loaded. Acetone is only around $8 for a 32oz bottle. I use 3oz per 10 gallons of gas. I'm not saying this will work in everyones vehicle, but it is working in mine and I am sold. There are a lot of people that are against it, or claim it doesn't work. You have to decide on your own. For only adding 3oz per 10 gallons, I am basically getting 2 free gallons of gas per tank and at over $4 a gallon, I say the acetone is paying for itself and then some.

They also say that it is supposed to make your motor burn cleaner since you are getting a more efficient burn of the fuel. I have run at least 8 tanks through my truck so far and noticed that it is running great, not that it ran bad before.

Just thought I would share. Please remember, I am NOT saying to run this in your bikes, but if you have an older vehicle you don't mind trying it on, give it a try.

Ryan

• William1

Posted August 07, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Be aware Acetone is a pretty strong solvent. It can attack rubber and some plastic parts in the fuel system. It is a great benefit for those in colder climates (sub sub zero places) as an aid in starting due to its' low vapor point.

• chim-chim7

Posted August 07, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I read that post about the Lucas oil treatment test. That was a bogus controlled test. First off all he did not compare the same type of oil. Secondly who knows how much he added to the oil. Too much of a good thing can be bad. Looks like he added enough for a full size car treatment. He had maybe what, half a quart in there. The oil treatment was not intended to be used by itself. Lame test.
Unless you have used a FUEL lubricant, how can you bash the effect of it's intentions. Because you heard it from Bob who hears it from Jon who had used some in a old Pinto. As far as not wanting lubricant above the piston, well we might as well all stop using gasoline because that's whats added from the fuel companies. I was just helping it a little more. How about diesel engines? It work's or the principal of high combustion pressure and heat. Diesel fuel is very oily, and for good reason. Diesel engines last almost twice as long as their gasoline counterparts. Given the fact that Bio-diesel is vegetable based, it is much more oily, and improves engine lubricity. It's actually better. How about E-85, lubricant is added. Say what you will, but unless you try for yourself, you don't really have a leg to stand on. Hearsay is just that. Just like the tomato scare of the early 1900's. I will continue to use it for the life of my DRZ. I will let everyone know how my top end looks in two thousand more miles. I will tear it down for an inspection, and take pictures.

• rustyknife

Posted August 07, 2008 - 09:26 AM

I read that post about the Lucas oil treatment test. That was a bogus controlled test. First off all he did not compare the same type of oil. Secondly who knows how much he added to the oil. Too much of a good thing can be bad. Looks like he added enough for a full size car treatment. He had maybe what, half a quart in there. The oil treatment was not intended to be used by itself. Lame test.
Unless you have used a FUEL lubricant, how can you bash the effect of it's intentions. Because you heard it from Bob who hears it from Jon who had used some in a old Pinto. As far as not wanting lubricant above the piston, well we might as well all stop using gasoline because that's whats added from the fuel companies. I was just helping it a little more. How about diesel engines? It work's or the principal of high combustion pressure and heat. Diesel fuel is very oily, and for good reason. Diesel engines last almost twice as long as their gasoline counterparts. Given the fact that Bio-diesel is vegetable based, it is much more oily, and improves engine lubricity. It's actually better. How about E-85, lubricant is added. Say what you will, but unless you try for yourself, you don't really have a leg to stand on. Hearsay is just that. Just like the tomato scare of the early 1900's. I will continue to use it for the life of my DRZ. I will let everyone know how my top end looks in two thousand more miles. I will tear it down for an inspection, and take pictures.

Well, seeing as how diesel is injected into the cylinder while the cylinder is under compression and burns instantly, I'm not seeing how its going to benefit the cylinder walls with lube. It's not like a gasser that compresses an air/fuel mixture. Diesel or gas, if you have fuel condensing on the walls of the cylinders(which would be required to lube it) you have major problems

• chim-chim7

Posted August 07, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I've used Lucas upper cylinder lube in all my applications for about the past year - KLX400SR, lawnmower, weedwacker, car, etc. and have noticed mild performance gains in all. Not so much in terms of HP, but in maintenance, mpg ratio, and engine noise reduction (especially on the KLX). I don't measure it, just a quick squirt in the tank before fueling. I'm knowledgeable about not adding additives to engine oil/gear oil, but fuel additives are a much different ballgame. Naturally, gas is petroleum-based and therefore is a lubricant, so-to-speak (though very, VERY mild in lubricating capacity). Petroleum-based fuel additives work well to assist in lubricating the fuel system's moving parts (i.e. carb internals, injectors, etc.) as well as providing corrosion protection. They also aid with carbon deposit and gunk removal as an emulsifer - they saturate the deposit an loosen it from the surface. They work well to clean the internals and also keep them moving smoothly; this is where you get mild gains in mpg and performance. Just my two cents on this :D I'm a believer, these products do work to an extent. But don't expect anything spectacular - they're more of a preventative-maintenance type of product than performance (marketing 101: "performance product" will sell better than "preventative maintenance product")

Very well said.:)

• MesserSchmidt

Posted August 07, 2008 - 09:33 AM

can anyone tell us WHY having any lubrication above the piston is a bad thing? Obviously you don't want OIL there because if there's oil there, that means you're consuming your motor oil at a high rate...but if it's something that's burning anyway, what's the harm?

I wouldn't use it during break-in obviously, probably wouldn't help seating the rings...but after break-in during normal use I just can't figure out what harm it would do...

• ptgarcia

Posted August 07, 2008 - 09:34 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the idea about adding lubricity to diesel fuel is to protect the injectors and injection pump, not the cylinders. The fuel system in modern diesel engines runs at extremely high pressures.

• chim-chim7

Posted August 07, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Well, seeing as how diesel is injected into the cylinder while the cylinder is under compression and burns instantly, I'm not seeing how its going to benefit the cylinder walls with lube. It's not like a gasser that compresses an air/fuel mixture. Diesel or gas, if you have fuel condensing on the walls of the cylinders(which would be required to lube it) you have major problems

WHAT?:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Looking at DR-Zs! Please Help. New to dual sport riding, but not motorcycles! by AJPJR

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  66 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.