O-Ring for fuel screw and MSR fuel screw 1999 YZ400f

12 replies to this topic
  • bikefrk

Posted August 06, 2008 - 06:35 PM

So I have been having a lot of popping on decel on a 1999 YZ400f that I just bought a month ago. Won't idle either, with the idle adjuster all the way buried.

I purchased a MSR red fuel screw for easier adjusting, on the recommendation of the local mechanic.

When I dropped the stock fuel screw out, I got the spring and washer but not the o-ring. I got the remainder of it though. About 1/4 of it.

Hmmmm, no o-ring with the MSR screw. Dammmit!!! :ride:

I already know my local dealer doesn't have the o-ring, because I asked for one when I bought the MSR screw.

The parts fiche looks like you have to buy the whole screw/spring/washer/o-ring to get just the o-ring. $30. :banghead: :banghead:

So, anyone have any tips on where to source a similar o-ring other than the local Yamaha dealer?

And why won't my new red MSR fuel screw go into the hole in the float bowl so I can thread it into the correct location? It goes in partway but hangs up. If it means anything, so does the stock screw.

Hey, thanks if you can lend any help.

Did I mention I leave Friday morning for a 3 day riding weekend? I might be riding a lawn chair at camp now. :) :D :worthy:

• bikefrk

Posted August 06, 2008 - 07:02 PM

Never mind on the fuel screw. I was provided with the incorrect one. :)

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Have them look the part up for a quad, or an '04 WR450.

PN is 3TJ-14562-40-00.

• bikefrk

Posted August 07, 2008 - 02:39 AM

Thanks.

• bikefrk

Posted August 07, 2008 - 06:04 AM

Mechanics at the local dealer hooked me up with the o-ring.

I'm going riding.

• foxz

Posted August 07, 2008 - 10:54 AM

what is the purpose of the O ring? is it needed? mine didnt have it when i road the other day and found it on the bench and havent road it yet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2008 - 12:53 PM

The purpose of the O-ring is first to seal outside air out of the idle mixture. Without the ring, it leaks an uncontrolled, random amount of air into the idle circuit. It also provides the friction that holds the screw in, due to the spring pressure on it.

• Budlite

Posted August 07, 2008 - 01:10 PM

For those interested...Suzuki is the only bike mfg that sells the parts separtely according to their fisches (not including ATV's), at least they did in 2006. My advice is to purchase a couple of springs, washers, and orings to have around as spares. You never know when the fuel screw is going to vibrate out and you lose the parts.....

• foxz

Posted August 07, 2008 - 02:29 PM

The purpose of the O-ring is first to seal outside air out of the idle mixture. Without the ring, it leaks an uncontrolled, random amount of air into the idle circuit. It also provides the friction that holds the screw in, due to the spring pressure on it.

could that be why it isnt running right down low? it seems like it was rich...wouldnt too much air be lean

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2008 - 04:18 PM

could that be why it isnt running right down low?

Yes it could.

• jj546

Posted August 07, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Unless you found the remaining parts of your o-ring, it could've been forced into the drilled passage. Spray carb. cleaner thru all directions of this circuit to be sure. It could be blocking the fuel or air into the carb.

• bikefrk

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:10 PM

I am almost sure I got all of the o-ring out.

I rode it Friday and most of the day Saturday. It ran great. Still some popping on decel, but I think if I fatten up the pilot jet and mess with the screw, I can make that problem go away. :)

• mjw1

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:27 PM

On my yz 400 i went up two sizes on the pilot jet and put a power now valve and the bike runs great no popping or bog.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.