Heat Shield for Big Gun?

4 replies to this topic
  • Old_Novice

Posted June 06, 2002 - 05:23 PM

What is the hot setup to keep this pipe from burning through my pants? I am running a Big Gun header/pipe and it has no heat shield. Is does have remnants of the previous owners riding pants burnt on the header. Since there is nothing on the header (no nuts like stock) how do you mount something to prevent this?

• YZeezee

Posted June 07, 2002 - 04:32 AM

Good question...wish I had an answer for ya. But on that topic, ANy ideas for how to stop a FMF PC IV pipe from burning through my right side number plate? I've got the useless silver heat tape-no luck...
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg_Shaw

Posted June 08, 2002 - 08:09 PM

My old XR400 came with a parts box including a muffler for an ATC 70, I cut & re-shaped the heat gaurd & re welded the threaded insert's to the pipe, looks pretty sano. I torched 2 sets of leathers before I modified a heat shield. I dont know how to post pictures here, if you want I can email you the pics

• Old_Novice

Posted June 09, 2002 - 05:34 AM

I have the stock header (insisted it was included when I bought the bike)and heat shield which I am sure I could adapt as suggested above. The problem is, and this may sound lame, I really don't want to go welding on the ceramic coated head pipe. I was hoping someone knew of something clamp-on so I did not have to mar the finish on that pretty pipe. Maybe I'll change my mind after my first crash on that side. :)

• Ian_M.

Posted June 09, 2002 - 08:08 AM

Go to the hardware store and buy some 10 cent stainless steel hose clamps works great. my friend has that setup on his titanium DSP header.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.