Yz450F Total Hours

17 replies to this topic
  • jacob388

Posted August 06, 2008 - 02:50 PM

I have a 2007 and I have been reading through hundreds of post on here trying to find out how many hours everyone is getting and putting on their Yamaha 450’s. Hopefully a lot of you guys have installed an hours meter because they are perfect for keeping track of “actual hours” on the bike. Well for what is worth my bike runs like a champ and it has 30 hours on it! I’m looking forward to another year of riding this bad boy. I have done about 5 air filer changes, 4 oil changes, and I haven’t checked the valves yet. I came off a 2000 Yz250 (2 stroke) that I rebuilt 3 times in the 6 years I owned it and the bike never once failed me or needed anything besides regular maintenance. I’m mainly just curious how long I can go before I need to do a top end on this thumper…The manual suggest the same thing as the 2-stoke, every 15 hours but I’m hoping it will last a lot longer as it already has. So go ahead an indulge yourself and tell us the “good news”. I truly hope to hear from more optimistic riders then some of the horror stories that I’ve heard. Keep riding Blue or should I say white…mine has the Doug Henry Graphics on it! =Þ :)

• racerxx276

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:04 PM

my 06 has 210 hrs , 07 has 180 hrs , stock everything...... lots of oil changes..

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:07 PM

then there's this: (read the whole thread)

http://www.thumperta...497#post6494497

• bigkevo

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:33 PM

dude you have only done 4 oil changes and 5 AIR FILTER CHANGES!!!!!!! thats so risky dude!

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:51 PM

He might only get 40 hours out of it if he keeps that up, eh?

• jacob388

Posted August 06, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks racerxx276 for the update. Guyracer513 and bigkevo, I guess you guys don’t keep track of your hours because if you do you didn't post anything. I'll be sure to let you know if I blow it up on my next desert trip, I can't wait to see if it happens. You two must be the ones I always see changing their oil out in the desert when I'm out riding my bike. Let’s hear from some more people who actually have Yz450’s that have been monitoring their hours and their experience on it. :)

• KJ790

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:00 PM

Did you read the link Gray posted, he states how many hours were on his YZ450.

I have just over 60 hours on my hour meter and haven't had to adjust a single valve. I change the oil every 2 hours and air filter every ride. Yamaha's are known to be the most reliable, and if you take care of it there is no reason why your engine shouldn't last well past the 100 hour mark. The most important key to engine life is keeping the air filter clean, if you suck any dirt through just once, you can kiss your valves goodbye, as they will most likely only last a few more hours of running. The second most important part of engine longevity (and really just as important) is changing the oil often.

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:51 PM

Guyracer513 and bigkevo, I guess you guys don’t keep track of your hours because if you do you didn't post anything.

I posted the estimated total on my '03, which is well in excess of the 15 or 30 you seemed concerned with. I also suggested you read the entire thread, which contained a post by KJ in which he detailed the time on his bike. Reading between the lines a bit, you might have figured out that I have an '06 that is still on its first everything, and am only considering doing rings. Anyone would probably guess that bike, being over two years old, would have more than 30 hours on it without being specifically told that. In fact, that bike has about 200 hours on it. My newer '06 has about 80, and isn't even close to needing anything. I believe that addresses your concern adequately, whether it is read from a meter or not.

You two must be the ones I always see changing their oil out in the desert when I'm out riding my bike.

Nope. And since you didn't ask, you have no way of knowing how often I change oil. But, I change it every third ride day, or more often when it's necessary to avoid going longer on an upcoming trip. I've gone 4, but only about once a year. If you are using a good enough oil, 4 oil changes in 30 hours isn't that far out of line, but only if the oil is really up to that. Most aren't.

What you might have seen me doing when you thought I was changing oil is change air filters. This I do every ride day, and anyone riding the SoCal desert these days should do the same thing. You obviously haven't, unless you are going to suggest that you put 6 hours a day on the bike.

• Wyatt

Posted August 08, 2008 - 10:39 AM

Oil changes evry 5 hours and 98 hours on my '06

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted August 08, 2008 - 11:25 AM

What you might have seen me doing when you thought I was changing oil is change air filters. This I do every ride day, and anyone riding the SoCal desert these days should do the same thing.

x2.

i know so cal track guys who wont even ride the desert. they say its too sandy and dusty. heck some of them think the vet track at cahuilla is too sandy.

i would rather blow up sand burms and swap out my air filter every ride.

i rotate 3 air filters and change them out every evening in the desert.

change oil every 10 hours desert or every 3 motos at a track.

2007 with 50 hours at least.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Sand isn't, IMO, nearly the problem fine dust is. Because of how oiled foam filters work, each particle captured takes the amount of oil needed to hold it in the filter out of the game. The next particle goes past that point, deeper into the filter, to be captured by other oil, and so on. That's why it's critical to maintain a short air filter change interval.

At the end of a race, mine looks like an iced bundt cake. :)

• OldSkool

Posted August 08, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Some of you guys do oil changes way too frequently.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2008 - 12:53 PM

I don't think so, and I am an Amsoil dealer. (as a moderator, I can mention that, as a non-sponsor, you can't) My oil change intervals with MCF run out to 10 hours occasionally, more like 6-7 normally, and according to the UOA's I've done, I'm happy with that, especially at 34 ounces per change. People using popular bulk priced automotive oils are getting good protection (mostly), but because the automotive oils like Rotella are not blended for endurance as gear oils, they do have a legitimate need to change oil every ride day.

• clutchless

Posted August 08, 2008 - 01:00 PM

running your bike for 4 hours in 90 degree heat in dusty dry loose sand at high RPM's really takes its toll on moving parts.

i can also afford 12 bucks a month for 2 litres of oil so why not.

i like spending time working on my bike. i enjoy it. also gives me a chance to go over it to ensure something else doesn't break or wear out.

• OldSkool

Posted August 12, 2008 - 12:14 PM

To each his own

• Wiz636

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:34 PM

To each his own

Well, that settles it.

• rjcook450

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:38 PM

08 yz450f, drd full Ti exhaust, drd hour meter. just got 30hrs. on mine, change oil after break in, then every 4hrs, clean air filter after every ride, oil filter every other oil change(stainless filter). just checked valves perfectly inspect. with good maintance your bike will last, read an article in dirtbike on their yz250f with over 200hrs. on it before rebuild everything looked good inside they were impressed

• yz_for_me

Posted August 12, 2008 - 10:26 PM

I've got over 100 hours on my '03 (90 hours on the meter and an estimated 20 to 30 hours from the previous owner). I change the oil every 5 hours or so (once or twice as many as 10). I've not had a single issue with it yet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.