Old postcard from the giant rock in Johnson valley

93 replies to this topic
  • desert rat 2

Posted August 22, 2008 - 02:40 PM

I was told yesterday that two rails and 2 bikes were confiscated near Goat MT(Landers area) by the police.Best be compliant or say bye-bye to your ride.

Not surprising at all. There are a lot of yahoos out there that have pissed off the residents, especially in the 29 palms area and near Joshua Tree. This is a huge bone of contention. Again, if you are cruising quietly by and not making a huge dust cloud, then nobody is going to have a problem with you. I would expect that the guys who got their stuff confiscated probably deserved it.

• timoyz1

Posted August 22, 2008 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, probably to the East or West of GM, close to residents doing donuts, with expired tags. Thats at least what I am going to keep telling myself on the way to Pappy & Harriets.:thumbsup:

• rezrider

Posted August 23, 2008 - 12:25 PM

Not surprising at all. There are a lot of yahoos out there that have pissed off the residents, especially in the 29 palms area and near Joshua Tree. This is a huge bone of contention. Again, if you are cruising quietly by and not making a huge dust cloud, then nobody is going to have a problem with you. I would expect that the guys who got their stuff confiscated probably deserved it.

I mentioned this on another thread...As a property owner we were "warned" by a ranger one saturday morning about how many "riders" each and every parcel was allowed to have (9...not groups, 9 riders). Due to the punks racing down the dirt roads through private property, destroying fences to get in, etc. residents have lodged complaints mainly from the Landers, Flamingo Heights areas...The rangers have been patrolling the area quite a bit. They're pretty cool with the law abiders as long as we keep it cool. They visited a neighbor of mine that had several rigs (over the allowed 9), they were being a little too loud (8:00pm) according to someone that reported it :thumbsup: . They were told to keep it down and have ever since! This isn't just for residential areas, open camping as well!!!!!

Main thing is to be cool...don't do anything that'll give them reason to come out and shut us down!

• sethsquatch76

Posted August 24, 2008 - 10:31 AM

As previously stated I live in the high desert... And I ride like the biggest dumbest ******* you have ever seen, full pads required, but when near people or their houses, be chill. The only enemy we have in the high desert is ourselves. I have never lived in LA or San Diego but I think becouse of our proxcimity to these places we get a lot of city folk, think they are in BFE. Twice a year I chase people out of my yard, usually on quads (quadtards). No kids, no dog, do 70 down my road I dont care, but stay out of my ****ing yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though most people up here care about how fast you are going. Please come up the hill, spend turist dollars, have a great time but remember, its not Mexico.

Seth

• rezrider

Posted August 25, 2008 - 08:19 AM

As previously stated I live in the high desert... And I ride like the biggest dumbest ******* you have ever seen, full pads required, but when near people or their houses, be chill. The only enemy we have in the high desert is ourselves. I have never lived in LA or San Diego but I think becouse of our proxcimity to these places we get a lot of city folk, think they are in BFE. Twice a year I chase people out of my yard, usually on quads (quadtards). No kids, no dog, do 70 down my road I dont care, but stay out of my ****ing yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though most people up here care about how fast you are going. Please come up the hill, spend turist dollars, have a great time but remember, its not Mexico.

Seth

Seth,

Have you seen or been approached by any rangers regaring what i had written prior?

I think it was Pres weekend this year when he came to our place and told us of the NEW regulations (# of riders per group). He was real cool about it because he too lived and rode there. He said (even though the ordinances have changed) you can have as many people/riders as you want as long as you don't do anything that'll require them to come out for an unfriendly visit. Since then we haven't seen another ranger so things have been pretty good.

Rez

• sethsquatch76

Posted August 25, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Rezrider,

I have yet to see a single ranger in the high desert, excluding JV. Coyote Lake bed is 1 mile east of my house (front yard/great view). I have noticed on big weekends the toy hauler camps over there are now smaller, guess that has something to do with the new ordenences. I have heard through the grape vine that there are 2 BLM LE rangers riding 650L's. If I ever see one I doubt I'll stop. 650l is a very poor choice of patrol vehicle...Gotta love our government.Now 2 rangers on CRF450/WR450 I'd be alot more inclined to stop. With the new ordenances the biggest concern I have is the dry washes. They are now illegal to ride, they are also my personal free way between Joshua tree, 29 palms, Landers, Pioneer town ect. If I get a ticket it will be in one of these, but again...Good luck 650L

Right now I am in Montana but during season(OCT to April) probably 10 to 20 green/red sticker bikes ride by my house per week, no problems. Only cop I've ever had at my house was my fault... We built a no bull shit 30ft bon fire at 3 in the afternoon(drunk dumb asses), I think someone called becouse they thought my house was on fire, good neibors really.

I will be back home in the beginning of October, any of you guys wanna ride these areas, bring the beer and I'll give you a bad ass tour. Coyote lake bed and the mountains just east are sickter rickter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seth

PS Rezrider where is your peice of desert paradise???

• DelTronXR

Posted August 25, 2008 - 10:33 AM

Rezrider,

I have yet to see a single ranger in the high desert, excluding JV. Coyote Lake bed is 1 mile east of my house (front yard/great view). I have noticed on big weekends the toy hauler camps over there are now smaller, guess that has something to do with the new ordenences. I have heard through the grape vine that there are 2 BLM LE rangers riding 650L's. If I ever see one I doubt I'll stop. 650l is a very poor choice of patrol vehicle...Gotta love our government.Now 2 rangers on CRF450/WR450 I'd be alot more inclined to stop. With the new ordenances the biggest concern I have is the dry washes. They are now illegal to ride, they are also my personal free way between Joshua tree, 29 palms, Landers, Pioneer town ect. If I get a ticket it will be in one of these, but again...Good luck 650L

Right now I am in Montana but during season(OCT to April) probably 10 to 20 green/red sticker bikes ride by my house per week, no problems. Only cop I've ever had at my house was my fault... We built a no bull shit 30ft bon fire at 3 in the afternoon(drunk dumb asses), I think someone called becouse they thought my house was on fire, good neibors really.

I will be back home in the beginning of October, any of you guys wanna ride these areas, bring the beer and I'll give you a bad ass tour. Coyote lake bed and the mountains just east are sickter rickter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seth

Seth I've grown up in Joshua Tree. The family has property off of Old Chisholm and Lear.....I know the area well. I'm sure you're knowledgeable of the "sand hill" area between Sunfair and Lear up in the copper mine hills. Last year, NO JOKE, there was a BLM ranger ticketing folk at night on the sandhill!

You ever been up to the copper mine off the road that leads to the dump? Haven't been up there in a year or so....last time the trail was HORRIBLE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 97dr650

Posted August 25, 2008 - 10:58 AM

This doesn't help us much:thumbsdn:

247 & Reeche
Posted Image

• DelTronXR

Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:41 AM

247 & Reeche
Posted Image

How old is that sign? I've been by there recently and haven't noticed that.

• sethsquatch76

Posted August 25, 2008 - 02:41 PM

deltronXR,

I do know those sand dunes quite well, super fun after a big rain storm or wind storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That was one seriously motivated BLm ranger to be out there...Probably got fired for working so hard!!HA ha Do you know, was it the guys on bikes? What brought a ranger out there at night???Must of been other cercumstances...

I have riddin over by the dump on some nasy (fun) trails but I dont recall seeing a mine??? When I get back in OCT I will go check it out agin.

I'll admit I'm a bit of an outlaw, theres a reason I live where I do. But I do believe in honor and respect. If I pass (and I have) another bike or quadtard on a trail and they dont slow down....I will chase them down and lay down the law. We must police ourselves. You see somebody being an *******, tell them. And you dont have to be an ******* to get your point across.

Living where I live kids on small bore 2 smokers seem to be the biggest problem, comon parents get your shit together, EDUCATE YOUR KIDS ON RIDER RESPONSIBILITYS.

• rezrider

Posted August 25, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Rezrider,

I'm in Johnson Valley 2 "blocks" east of Larrea, the only paved road in Johnson Valley. Paradise is right...going out there for Labor Day weekend!

• 97dr650

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:36 AM

How old is that sign? I've been by there recently and haven't noticed that.

I noticed it about a month ago and the paint job was a week and a half ago(?).

• DelTronXR

Posted August 26, 2008 - 12:13 PM

I noticed it about a month ago and the paint job was a week and a half ago(?).

That's shameful lemme tell ya

• dezertracer230

Posted August 26, 2008 - 01:00 PM

247 & Reeche
Posted Image

I also havent seen that sign, it looks real old, with the three wheeler on it and it says ORV, now a days it is OHV areas. but no matter how old it is (or new) the paint is uncalled for.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.