2006 kx450f or 2007 yz450f

16 replies to this topic
  • motocross1026

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Im moving up from a cr85 to a 450 and would like to know if some of you experts can give me some advice. Looking in cycletrader i narrowed it down to two bikes a 2006 kx450f and a 2007 yzf450 limited edition both are in good condition but the yamaha is 800 dollars more. What would be best for long term im 5'10" 145 pounds

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:27 AM

That's a huge jump up, no? Lot's of people will be advising you to go to a 250F next instead, but either way...

I would prefer the YZ in any case based on the overall package, and the reliability in particular. For a person making a big jump to a bigger bike, the power delivery of the YZ is also advantageous. While the bike is by no means slow, its power is delivered in a very smooth fashion, even deceptively so, and is extremely easy to ride as 450's go. The KXF is more of an old school torque monster with some suspension quirks, and a few issues with reliability.

• motocross1026

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:48 AM

does the KXF have a bad rep for not being reliable is it worth buying or should i hold off until another bike comes along i dont want problems down the road

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 09:58 AM

I wouldn't say it has a bad rep, but there has been an occasional problem with parts that don't seem to be the kind of failures that seem reasonable.

• bigred455

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:52 AM

If you must jump to a 450 and it is going to be used a YZ IS THE BIKE TO BUY. Remember you are asking on a YZ forum,but the truth is the truth,buying used your chances are better off with the YZ. GOOD LUCK. The 06 KXF had sump screen issues and wrist pin failure's,maybe the bike you are interested in was corrected,but I would not take that chance.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:39 PM

does the KXF have a bad rep for not being reliable is it worth buying or should i hold off until another bike comes along i dont want problems down the road

the 2006 KXF did have some issues.....search in the KXF forum for engine problems/ motor problems

the 2007 YZF is bullet proof

you must be one big kid coming off of a 85......to jump on a 450

• bigkevo

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:43 PM

85 to a 450....

in all honesty man, these bikes pull the arms of A grade racers let alone juniours that havent raced 125's yet.

good 85cc rider or not your guna come unstuck and **** yourself up and im pretty sure everyone here will agree

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:54 PM

85 to a 450....

in all honesty man, these bikes pull the arms of A grade racers let alone juniours that havent raced 125's yet.

good 85cc rider or not your guna come unstuck and **** yourself up and im pretty sure everyone here will agree

I told you they'd say that.

I don't necessarily agree.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drumurr

Posted August 06, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Have u ever ridden a big bike?

• motocross1026

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:35 AM

my friends have 125's and 250f and i dont have a problem i can run them pretty good but i dont understand why anone would buy a 250f when they have to do the top end often and its half the power of the 450 for about the same price

• erickdj

Posted August 07, 2008 - 06:10 AM

my friends have 125's and 250f and i dont have a problem i can run them pretty good but i dont understand why anone would buy a 250f when they have to do the top end often and its half the power of the 450 for about the same price

if you can handle 250f then you'll be fine on a 450f as long as you take your time to get used to the bike. just don't go full throttle on your first ride on it, take it easy at first until you get to know the bike and know ahead of time how the bike will react to the amount of throttle being applied.

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2008 - 06:18 AM

You have a point there, alright. Otherwise, it depends on a number of things. If your purpose is to race MX, a lot of people are just faster on a 250F than a 450. Power management is less of a problem, and jumping onto too strong a bike too soon can hamper some people's development as a rider considerably, but not everyone.

OTOH, for recreational purposes, or for desert riding, etc., the bigger bike makes more sense. Less experienced riders need to use a lot of prudence and common sense as they learn, but it can certainly be done.

• motocross1026

Posted August 07, 2008 - 10:06 AM

thanks for the help i really do appreciate it and i think that im going to end up with the kx ill be riding at a state park and at a track so the is disavantages at the track but advantages at the track. Im not looking forward to kicking the KX450F tho

• bigred455

Posted August 07, 2008 - 01:51 PM

thanks for the help i really do appreciate it and i think that im going to end up with the kx ill be riding at a state park and at a track so the is disavantages at the track but advantages at the track. Im not looking forward to kicking the KX450F tho

Good luck hope you don't get a headache,better ask about the wrist pin and sump screen like I mentioned. I will tell you again ,ask the seller if he or she ever cleaned the screen in the flywheel area,also ask if the wrist pin has been replaced.

• dirtbiker771

Posted August 07, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I had an 06 KX450 and it was one of the best bikes I ever owned. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

• kain522

Posted August 08, 2008 - 07:05 PM

Since this is the YZ forum, the answers you get will be slanted towards the YZ. There is good reason for this. We own the bikes. We live with them and we love them. The thing you need to keep in mind, however, is that you are looking at used bikes. Even a bike with a stellar reputation for reliability like the Yamaha is no match for a goon that pounds the crap out of his bike without taking care of it. Try to look at both bikes, and if possible, talk to the owner. Ask about his maint routine, and see if the bike looks like he/she took care of it. Go with the one that looks like it had some TLC in it's life. If you can, take someone with you that knows motorcycles. It never hurts to have another set of eyes and ears to help you. Good luck with whichever you choose.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 09, 2008 - 02:48 PM

i always thought my 450 was fast until i bought a sportbike, now it doesnt seem like such a monster anymore. my first dirtbike was a 450. after a few rides u should feel right at home on it. my neighbor had an 06 kawasaki 450, he never had any issues with it. im a yami guy so i say go with the yz

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.