cleaning air filter????

1 reply to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted August 05, 2008 - 07:01 PM

i have a new foam filter that i oiled before i rode. went through a lot of mud and sand. hows a good way to clean it? i do have a amsoil kit. can i blow the sand out first?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2008 - 07:52 PM

The way I clean air filters is in a plastic bucket with a lid. A 5 gallon will work, but they are about 20% bigger in diameter than they have to be, so if you can, find a smaller one. Put two gallons of mineral spirits in the bucket. Dunk the filters and squeeze them out repeatedly until clean, then hang them out to dry overnight. Then oil them and hang them out for 8-9 more hours to drain off any excess, and reinstall.

Do not discard the solvent. The dirt you wash off the filters will settle to the bottom and stay there reasonably well. You will be able to clean filters with this same solvent for months before it eventually becomes so saturated with filter oil that the filters are almost ready to use as soon as they dry (but oil them anyway). I just changed mine that I've been using since November, washing 6-10 filters a month.

The system works best when you have at least two filters per bike. Oil one a day in advance, then remove the dirty one, clean it, hang it out, and install the new one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.