Auto-decomp on eBay? What is this?

8 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted December 20, 2002 - 10:59 AM

Jus browsing through eBay when I saw this.

Click Here

Is this something from Yamaha, or somewhere else? No 400's?

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted December 20, 2002 - 12:02 PM

I checked it out and emailed a bunch of questions. If I get a response I will post the answers here.
I wonder how Yamaha.dude feels about his PDF document being posted for sale with the cam!

• jmiakaike

Posted December 20, 2002 - 01:10 PM

Brandon..
got an answer back from the seller.. it is a stock 450 cam... :)

• BrandonW

Posted December 20, 2002 - 01:37 PM

yeah, that is what I figured..... :)

I hope that *somebody* comes up with a reliable cam to retro-fit our bikes, and soon!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted December 20, 2002 - 02:08 PM

It irks me in one way, and I am flattered in another... really, it is insignificant, the guy is not claiming it as his own instructions... Yamaben had a lot of input into the document as well...

I reckon the guy thought he would corner the market when the mod first came out, and make a nice profit... after all, who needs 4 extra cams... LOL now there is talk of the third-party cams in the next couple of months, and the fact that the teeth on the factory 450 cam may be an issue in a 426, then he is probably panicking and trying to dump them before they become redundant...

It is still a good mod, and there are alternatives on the horizon (seemingly) so I don't care... I can just laugh that it has filtered down and onto ebay... shows there are so many ways through the internet...

David

• Chaindrive

Posted December 21, 2002 - 08:37 AM

It is surprising that Yamaha hasn't smelled "profit" in this retrofit...
Could not be too difficult to modify the unfinished forging or casting they already make to perfectly fit...

• yamaha.dude

Posted December 21, 2002 - 12:47 PM

Exactly... They have casts/dies from last year, and this year..., should be about an hours work reprogramming the CNC machines... but who knows how yamaha.co.jp thinks...

David

• sabin

Posted December 21, 2002 - 11:43 PM

All they want is to sell us new bikes!

• Chaindrive

Posted December 22, 2002 - 08:26 AM

You are right, Sabin, but I won't buy another one until they produce a street-legal version. If I can't have my cake and eat it,too...I'll skip dessert! Six grand is way too much for a bike with VERY limited usefulness, at least where I live. For that much, I can own an old beater 2-stroke AND a modest Sportster.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.