considering a wr, much improvement from steel to aluminum frame?

30 replies to this topic
  • yz-dwg

Posted August 12, 2008 - 08:46 AM

bark busters and radiator guards, gives me the confidence to bale off and not worry about breaking stuff and being stranded, big tank, suspension if you ride hard, I also love my wide foot pegs and tall seat........

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:02 AM

The WR has so much power already, it probably doesn't need a new exhaust. You may want one, but it may not need anything more than a little more twist of the wrist.

I am assuming of course, that you have removed the baffle out of the end.

Get the suspension done. Its a much better investment and will save your ass.

The biggest advantage I found when I replaced my stock '07 WR can with a aftermarket unit is the weight savings. The stock can is heavier and longer. The replacement cans are shorter and lighter.:)

Plus...they look cool. Looking cool always helps you go faster.:D

-Jay

• ncmountainman

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:44 PM

thanks for all the replies, but it seems that i am going for a steel frame model, an 04' to be exact. Ill be picking it up this friday. Im trading my bike in too, and getting $750 back, so i get to put so goodies on it:thumbsup: any suggestions?

you wanna talk dump trucks:crazy: take some of that extra $$ and get some offset (22.5mm) clamps,i ran emig racing on my 04;i believe they still have some for the 46's.....oh about the 46's i could write a book on what needs to be done to those forks.
thats a real good fast terrain bike,but when the going gets slow and tight it'll wear ya down,the offset clamps help this immensly without affecting high speed stability. if you are gonna run alot of tight stuff i also recommend running the fork tubes at least 5mm up in the clamps,and maybe taking a chain link out of standard(114) to put more wt on the rr and further quicken turning....i know that bike in my sleep and have many extra parts laying around,feel free to pm me with any questions:thumbsup:

• Vinny2692

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:15 AM

well, i am now the proud owner of a 04' wr. :) It deffinatly doesnt handla half as bad as i expected, but it does seem to need to be opened up a little more. What would be the easiest way of doing this? maybe an exhaust and an air filter for now? :D

• beezer

Posted August 15, 2008 - 11:35 AM

So a search and find the free mods.

A pipe really perks the WR up.

Enjoy your new bike!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted August 15, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Make sure you go through all the free mods before you go and spend a pile of $$$. The WR properly jetted and modded is fairly good on power. Also wouldn't hurt to go through the valves and check them to be sure you are OK. WR Dave.

• farkawi

Posted August 16, 2008 - 08:52 AM

I have the steel '05 WR and it is fine. Much better than I am. I've ridden the Alu framed WR, but it was on a group ride and set up for a much lighter rider. I'll always keep a Japanese thumper around even if I go on to satisfy my urge to try out a KTM 2-smoke 300 with e-start. It's gotta be cool.

• dazzabb

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:40 PM

you wanna talk dump trucks:crazy: take some of that extra $$ and get some offset (22.5mm) clamps,i ran emig racing on my 04;i believe they still have some for the 46's.....oh about the 46's i could write a book on what needs to be done to those forks.
thats a real good fast terrain bike,but when the going gets slow and tight it'll wear ya down,the offset clamps help this immensly without affecting high speed stability. if you are gonna run alot of tight stuff i also recommend running the fork tubes at least 5mm up in the clamps,and maybe taking a chain link out of standard(114) to put more wt on the rr and further quicken turning....i know that bike in my sleep and have many extra parts laying around,feel free to pm me with any questions:thumbsup:

Alternatively get a Rekluse e-axle (they make 'em for YZ 450's) this way you can get the same adjustability as offset clamps for about 30% of the price.

I run one on my 05 and it made a big difference to how the big turns in the tight terrain.

As Mountainmax says in tight stuff you REALLY need to run the forks up the clamps, I run mine at 8mm to speed up the slow steering.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 17, 2008 - 04:52 PM

Alternatively get a Rekluse e-axle (they make 'em for YZ 450's) this way you can get the same adjustability as offset clamps for about 30% of the price.

I run one on my 05 and it made a big difference to how the big turns in the tight terrain.

As Mountainmax says in tight stuff you REALLY need to run the forks up the clamps, I run mine at 8mm to speed up the slow steering.

forgot about the e-axle,good call:thumbsup:they didn't have that yet when i outfitted my 04. the stock muffler on the 04 was almost 10 lbs,the wt savings of a aftermarket can is well worth it with the extra power as a bonus.....the powercore series from fmf works really well with that bike and the new ones are 98db with a available quiet insert for down to around 94,fits the stock header too:thumbsup:

• chrispy1202

Posted August 17, 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have an '03 WR 450 and the biggest difference in power was made by new exhaust and a JD jet kit. I put on exhaust from a yz 450 and it made a big difference.
Cheers
Chris.

• DrzDasher

Posted September 15, 2008 - 07:54 PM

http://www.yoshimura...-2003-2005.aspxCheck out yoshimura the trc carbon fiber full is 300 new and titanium 400 newor maybe tt has it cheaper

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.