WR450 Highway speeds?!

Ok guys I bought my WR and have been slowly working it over to a supermoto. The bike is completely street legal. But what im worried about is the gearing i have a 15th front and 44th rear sprocket on the bike, but im worried about winding the motor out too far. So i have been doing some thinking and looking(till my head hurts). Can i put a 250X(factory street legal bike) transmission in my WR450? I know that you can put the WR450 tranny in a YZ250 so it would only make sense to me that the WR250X tranny would fit in my WR450. Does my sprocket gearing look to be about right for highway speeds? i want it to not be strung out at 70mph cruising. I bought this for riding to work and school so please help me get it right.

John

People put WR gears in YZs because they want a wide ratio trans. You already have one so its not really necisarry (sp?) to change it up. I would just gear it higher. You don't need a really strong first or anything. Just keep it geared low enough to get going nicely and you should be fine. The thing i'de be worried about is having it revved to the moon for long periods of time, so as long as you gear it high enough to do about 70 without winding out, you should be fine. Riding the highway on a sumo isn't much fun anyway. :ride:

I've got a 2007 WR450 all set up for the street. I use 15/48 gearing that gives me comfortable cruising anywhere between 90-110 km/h. With a 44 rear I'm sure you could run faster. FYI, I get about 66 miles per gallon(Canadian) with this set-up; 198 km per 8 litres; with some wheelies and flat-tracking on gravel roads thrown in for fun. Perfect dual-sport in my book. Also, I mounted the Dunlop 908RR DOT knobbies. The rear is a bit of a tight fit; no problem with the swingarm but the left side has taken a few "self-clearancing" hits from the chain, nothing serious.

I've got a 2007 WR450 all set up for the street. I use 15/48 gearing that gives me comfortable cruising anywhere between 90-110 km/h. With a 44 rear I'm sure you could run faster. FYI, I get about 66 miles per gallon(Canadian) with this set-up; 198 km per 8 litres;

Thats great fuel economy. What jets are you using? The best I have ever manage is 17km per litre. That with 48 pilot, 160 main jet and ridden on the street.

I have a 07 wr450 sm I run 15/43 gearing . mine will top out around 115. It does fine on the road . I don't run on the highway because those roads suck . but I have held mine a between 80 -90 mph on my ride to work . if you want lower rpms' at 70 drop down to like a 41 or 39 rear sprocket . be adviced that for me to run any of these small rear gears I had to modify my lower chain guide.

Ps. I always run odd number teeth steel sprockets .I've found that they wear better because the same type links don't always land on the same tooth .

here's a pic of mine

DSC00969.jpg

on my 03 450 i run 16/42. i only really like cruising no faster than 90km/ph. i can manage around 230kms before switching to reserve. but i never ride on freeways though.

i have a set of sumo wheels and have a 39 rear lined up because the sumo rear is smaller than the standard again.

Aussie- I just installed the jets that came with the carb kit when I bought the bike. Did it last year so I don't remember what they are. The kit was included with the Canadian model; you have to buy it separately in the U.S.; don't know about down under.

• 10 months later...

On my 08 WR450 supermoto(17" wheels) I have a 13th front and 42th rear gearing. Top speed 100mph. Runs perfect!

Problem: The chain guide get rub.

I will change to larger front and rear sprockets. Maybe a 15th front and a 46th rear.

Anyone using the same or near combo???

I'm not sure about the difference in bike's operation (top speed, acceleration). hear opinions..

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry for thread digging.

I'm trying to fit up a 15/43-45 size, but I am unsure which other bike model's sprocket fits the WR. My local distributor carries only 13,14 & 48,50 and he is too lazy to find out for me which one matches.

I'm running a 16/42, on my '06 with 17" rims, won't quite redline in 5th, approx 180 'real' kph @10,000 rpm

For rear sprocket you can look at an MC22 (CBR250R)

the front 16 tooth requires you to remove the aluminium ?case saver?

Edited by FzerozeroT
edit, gear ratio wrong

I am running a 16 on the front with the stock 50 on the back. I was thinking of replacing the rear with a 48. I ride to most of the trails here in Colorado. I just want to lower the rpm a bit but still do not want to loose too much of the lower gearing in first gear now. Just wondering if I would notice much of a difference with a 48 over the 50 and would I have to modify the rear chain guard if I would use a smaller sprocket in the rear. thanks.