Alt. fuel tanks

6 replies to this topic
  • YZeezee

Posted June 06, 2002 - 12:44 PM

All,
I've got a 98 YZ 400, and I'm wondering if you've heard of any ingenious fuel tank add-ons (additional tanks) I can get a hold of to increase my range. I know they make one that replaces the front number plate, and I've seen one that mounts on the rear fender, any others y'all have seen?
Thanks!

• mikeolichney

Posted June 06, 2002 - 01:03 PM

The front # plate ones work OK, once you get the leaks sorted out. Some people say they feel the weight up there, I didn't with the 0.8 gal one. They also make a 1.3 gal. I think they are made by Acerbis. I think Chapparal sells them. A good thing about that tank is that it drains first, before your main tank.

I also had a A-loop one that replaces your number plate opposite your muffler. It worked OK for 4 HS races until my subframe broke, causing me to DNF my 5th HS on it. Gas was spewing everywhere. Too much stress on the subframe, and that was the steel of the 99YZ400F. I bet the aluminum subframe would fare even worse. Dont recommend that one.

• YZeezee

Posted June 07, 2002 - 04:38 AM

Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted June 07, 2002 - 06:08 AM

Micholichney U live up in the San Bernandino Area...

• YZeezee

Posted June 07, 2002 - 06:12 AM

Mike, you're in Lyons, right? Any great ideas on where to ride this weekend? Maybe to the west-fireroads, etc?

• mikeolichney

Posted June 07, 2002 - 12:38 PM

Originally posted by YZeezee:
Mike, you're in Lyons, right? Any great ideas on where to ride this weekend? Maybe to the west-fireroads, etc?

Well, I am going to ride the Jumping Cow enduro, near Agate. Its around 6K ft, so maybe it will be a little cooler. You are welcome to ride on my minute with me and my 2 friends if you like. One is a better B guy than me, the other is a C rider. You can find info at www.racermec.org

Theres an area west of me called Johnny Park that has riding, off of US 36. Its not Taylor Park, but it can entertain you for a while. If you want to ride rocks, you can ride Lefthand Canyon, in between Boulder and Lyons, lots of trails.

The Nothern Colorado Trail Riders have a ride planned in Rand, I would have done that if there wasn't an enduro nearby. Check out:
http://www.cohvco.org/nctr/main.shtml

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: mikeolichney ]

• YZeezee

Posted June 10, 2002 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Mike, I'll check them out. I went riding at Georgia Pass this weekend (down by South Park). Went above timerline so it was definitely cooler. Pretty rocky, but fun still.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.