Normal guy reviews trials tire

21 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:57 PM

After seeing them around more and more frequently, I decided to try running a trials tire on my 07 wr450. Before this I had been running a Maxxis IT, and I really have no complaints about that tire. I purchased the pricey michelin trials tire, and took my bike out to Forresthill a week or so ago, and what I noticed was traction. The conditions were obviously very dry(California in late July), and the tire did very well.
Firstly let me say that I did like the tire, and I will be running it more, and testing it more as the summer progresses. The tire greatly reduces wheel spin under acceleration and provides more traction and feel in every area. It was awesome in the rocks and technical sections, as I expected it to be. Forresthill has some very rocky and difficult climbs on trails 5 and 6 and I was happy to have this tire on those sections. It was nice for braking going down hill, as the tire did not break loose and begin to slide as easily.
On some of the faster flowier trails, the tire felt a bit different. The most notable and expected difference has to do with sliding the rear tire into turns, and accelerating/oversteering out of turns. The tire just felt a little strange in these situations. It hooked up more than I was used to, so my bearings were thrown a bit. At first, I couldn't even get the thing to slide. As i got more comfortable with it I was cornering better, and I could get it to break loose, but it just took a lot more. I started kind of turning my bike with my knees out more like a trials rider than a motocrosser. Ripping open the throttle and kind of steering with the back of the bike when you're coming out of a turn is one of the fun parts about having a 450, and the trials tire and it's softness do hamper that. In all fairness, that's just not what it's for. The trials tire puts all of your steering duties back up front because the rear end isn't as squirrelly. It did a pretty good job of putting all the power down, but I did feel a slight zap. It could just be mental though, like 250f syndrome.
The tire was nice, and I think that I will keep one around on a spare wheel. I'm actually more curious to see what it acts like on my yz250 2 stroke. I don't think that it was quite the god sent gift that some have made them out to be, but it was really nice in a few spots, but not without it's drawbacks. With the wear that I noticed from the first day, I think that I will be able to get about 8 or so good rides out of it, so about on par with a normal tire.
I guess that when selecting whether or not to run this tire instead of a knobby, I would just try to figure out how much time I planned to spend in 4th and 5th gear. If that time was going to be a pretty significant part of my day, I would skip the trials and run the regular set up. But for nasty single track exploring, or any day that was going to be slower, tighter, and more techy, I would throw the trials tire back on in a second.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 05, 2008 - 01:05 AM

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember trials tyres having softer (read: thinner) sidewalls when compared to enduro and motocross knobbies.

The rears are designed to run 4PSI and the fronts 6PSI, with the sidewalls flexing to help the tyre tread spread for grip.

Thin sidewalls could be an issue in the bush, depending on the terrain you ride in so be careful. (ie. puncture prone).

Greg

• beezer

Posted August 05, 2008 - 06:16 AM

I run 8 to 10 PSI in my trials tires. The nastier the terrain the better they work. They also don't rip up the trail like a knobby does.

A trials tire lasts about as long as 4 knobbies.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 05, 2008 - 06:27 AM

I run 8 to 10 PSI in my trials tires. The nastier the terrain the better they work. They also don't rip up the trail like a knobby does.

A trials tire lasts about as long as 4 knobbies.

I bet you have some serious rocky climbs in new Jersey that really shred up the tire too.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 05, 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have been running them off and on for a couple of years. Don't run the IRC because it sucks. The best I tried was the dunlop at 10 psi (12 was too much). Its sturdy and doesn't wallow in the turns.

That tire will last you quite a while. The square edges round off after the first ride, but then you'll see it will hold up for quite a while. When the knobs start chunking off, don't get discouraged, keep riding it. It will stick.

The dunlop did very well up in big bear and there's nothing there but rocks, rocks and more rocks.

I agree with the trials tire being really useless for high speed riding. That's not what its for. But, I have worked them pretty good riding in enduro's in the desert. Lots and lots of rocks means lots and lots of traction.

I have not yet tried mine on the yz250. The wheel spin on that bike definitely requires more clutch, finesse and maybe a stickier tire.

Believe it or not, I also like running the D952 on the rear at 11 or 12 lbs. It sticks pretty good and still has good control (for me) I have not gotten a flat yet.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 06, 2008 - 06:29 AM

I have been running them off and on for a couple of years. Don't run the IRC because it sucks. The best I tried was the dunlop at 10 psi (12 was too much). Its sturdy and doesn't wallow in the turns.

That tire will last you quite a while. The square edges round off after the first ride, but then you'll see it will hold up for quite a while. When the knobs start chunking off, don't get discouraged, keep riding it. It will stick.

The dunlop did very well up in big bear and there's nothing there but rocks, rocks and more rocks.

I agree with the trials tire being really useless for high speed riding. That's not what its for. But, I have worked them pretty good riding in enduro's in the desert. Lots and lots of rocks means lots and lots of traction.

I have not yet tried mine on the yz250. The wheel spin on that bike definitely requires more clutch, finesse and maybe a stickier tire.

Believe it or not, I also like running the D952 on the rear at 11 or 12 lbs. It sticks pretty good and still has good control (for me) I have not gotten a flat yet.

You know your getting a flat now right?:)

• beezer

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:53 AM

How does the D952 hold up?

• SmobySport

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:00 AM

How do these do on the road? I am tearing through my knobbies riding on the street.

• beezer

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:59 AM

I don't think they would last to long on the street. The rubber is really soft.

I've had good luck with Maxxi IT's on the street.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 06, 2008 - 12:38 PM

I don't think they would last to long on the street. The rubber is really soft.

I've had good luck with Maxxi IT's on the street.

No agressive dirt bike tire is worth a damn on the street. The problem with the D952 or the Maxxis IT on the asphault is that they don't stop very well. You have to be careful with applying that rear brake or you will lock it up pretty easily.

I only ride on the asphalt to connect the trails or to get gas. So a real dirt tire is perfectly fine for a few miles.. There may be a better tire that's a good compromise, but I really don't care about street performance at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted August 06, 2008 - 12:47 PM

The knobbies don't corner so well either.

I had to use a curb for a berm the other night.

I use a Dunlop 803 for trail riding and connecting roads and I've had good luck with it. But I don't ride hard on the street so I don't trash the trials tire.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 06, 2008 - 12:49 PM

How does the D952 hold up?

I think it holds up pretty good. I have never had a flat on one and its the tire that I prefer if not running a trials. It give me a lot better traction than the Maxxis IT. It wears pretty well. But nothing will wear as well as the maxxis it tire.

However, as I get better with the throttle and clutch control, I am not always so quick to mount the trials tire and sometimes stick with the knobbie.

My next tire may be a Pirelli MT16. I hear that you can air those down pretty good when you need to. Btw... with a knobbie trying to go up a loose nasty hill, I will sometimes let a little air out to give me traction. Its cheating, but it takes me less time to do that and then pump the air back in later than it does to struggle and fight the bike up the hill.

What's a guy with poor throttle/clutch contol to do?

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:15 PM

What's a guy with poor throttle/clutch contol to do?

Become a Rekluse:excuseme:

• beezer

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:33 PM

My most favoritest thing to do with the trials tire is to stop at 99.5% of the hill and stop. Everyone behind me has to stop and slides back down the hill.

Then I just motor off with about 4 less friends than I started the ride with.

• jo-hn1777

Posted August 06, 2008 - 02:06 PM

remind me never to go riding with you

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 06, 2008 - 02:11 PM

My most favoritest thing to do with the trials tire is to stop at 99.5% of the hill and stop. Everyone behind me has to stop and slides back down the hill.

Then I just motor off with about 4 less friends than I started the ride with.

Jackass you don't have any friends:p Nice try for someone that has to ride alone cause everybody thinks he's an azzhole. remember:prof:

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 06, 2008 - 02:15 PM

Beezer on his atv with trials tire :) :D

• beezer

Posted August 06, 2008 - 05:47 PM

Those quads look like fun but I heard they take ALOT of skill to ride.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 07, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Those quads look like fun but I heard they take ALOT of skill to ride.

Yeah... you'd better start doing your thumb exercises or you'll never make it through the entire ride on one of those.

I hear that repeatedly pulling the tabs on beer cans is excellent training.

• V1Racing

Posted August 13, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Cool review on the trials tire. What happens when you hit the inevitable California Sand Wash? Some of the riding I like has some dust over hard pack climbs. I have a YZ250 2stroke, and I find I just come into the hill with more speed and keep the momentum up to reduce wheel spin... which means I am constantly catching my friends on the 4-strokes which creates dramatic passing opportunities.

Anyhow, I see them (mostly the KTM guys!) around here in Nor Cal and have always been curious!! I need an 18" wheel, first. =) (rim and spokes would be good, too!)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.