WR450 vs Aprilia 450. I drove both and was suprised.

25 replies to this topic
  • Demo_Slug

Posted August 09, 2008 - 04:54 PM

Well I rode both bikes, and I'm telling you my WR was faster, my WR was faster than my friends KTM 450 as well. I would have never thought it would have been that way either till I rode both.

Perhaps the aprilia gets tired early in its usage..... My WR was an 03 his aprilia was an 07.

do you think it could be the tires? a fresh rear tire always makes my WR feel more powerfull?

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 10, 2008 - 07:22 PM

do you think it could be the tires? a fresh rear tire always makes my WR feel more powerfull?

Na, my tires were not worn or new.

• WR250F Captain

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:56 PM

the ktm 450 engine is pretty vague, they are different for different bikes

the aprilia 550 can be fairly easily tweaked to 75hp, ron hamp got a crf450r to about that power output for the stock bore/stroke.

the aprilia is illegal to race in AMA, they outlawed twin's. gee i wonder why.

with alot of money, a wr450f can beat an aprilia rxv with a muffler, look at the xgames, it was the yz450 that beat it in smr.

where is this rxv at the e2 last man standing. its pretty much a smr bike, sxv, turned into a trail bike, rxv.

I was going to get an aprilia, but there forks come from a company well known for bicycles, they aren't able to be raced here yet, and they are unproven in enduro racing.

yamaha ktm then bmw in that order have the most dakar rally wins. btw

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaddogYZ

Posted August 11, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Don't the twins require valve adjustments every 5 hours per the manual? The 450 you raced could of been down on power because the valves were out of spec, which happens frequently supposedly.

And when you say faster do you mean top end speed or accelartion? To me top speed mean very little unless I were riding in the desert which I clearly never do.

• WR250F Captain

Posted August 11, 2008 - 10:00 AM

aprilia claims 250lbs, but all the reviews i've seen, is its 270lbs dry for the 450. first time I saw one was on tv at the xgames, and he caught up to the yamaha and honda smr bikes, but couldn't hold them in the turns. the bike was fast in a strait line, but when he tried to keep up with the yz450f, which i believe won, he crashed.

5hrs for valve adjustment, it takes like 10hrs for me to properly break in an engine. that would suck

Don't the twins require valve adjustments every 5 hours per the manual? The 450 you raced could of been down on power because the valves were out of spec, which happens frequently supposedly.

And when you say faster do you mean top end speed or accelartion? To me top speed mean very little unless I were riding in the desert which I clearly never do.

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 12, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Accelleration.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.