WR450 vs Aprilia 450. I drove both and was suprised.

25 replies to this topic
  • HollywoodMX

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:04 PM

I was an ex WR450 owner. It was uncorked with FULL Ti titanium exhaust system, 19" rear, rejetted perfectly. It was really fast.

I rode an Aprilia 450 today, its power was very smooth and extremely linear, but was surprised, my tuned WR had way more bite and power.

But the Aprilia felt nice, sounds awesome and the brakes blew my WR brakes away... But take comfort that if your WR is tuned like my old one, then you will have more power at your wrist than the Aprilia...

• xisabel

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:09 PM

That's interesting.

• mikedabike

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Apparently the Aprilla wasn't uncorked and tuned:p

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:08 PM

The aprillias need the Exhaust uncorked and the FI messed with and then they rip. I saw with my own eyes one of them RXV 450s absolutely rip a CRF 450R a new one in a straight line drag. It looked like a handful

The 550 makes 61 hp and I believe the 450 makes like 55 hp. True Italian stalions

• lixno

Posted August 05, 2008 - 07:46 AM

The problem is that they blow up really easy...

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 05, 2008 - 07:48 AM

Are these the V twins I saw a year or so ago that carried the engine oil in the swingarm :ride:

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:45 AM

It had an aftermarket muffler...

The aprillias need the Exhaust uncorked and the FI messed with and then they rip. I saw with my own eyes one of them RXV 450s absolutely rip a CRF 450R a new one in a straight line drag. It looked like a handful

The 550 makes 61 hp and I believe the 450 makes like 55 hp. True Italian stalions

Stock the 450 makes 48hp and the 550 makes 57. I did heavy research as I almost bought one this year.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 05, 2008 - 12:42 PM

It had an aftermarket muffler...

Stock the 450 makes 48hp and the 550 makes 57. I did heavy research as I almost bought one this year.

The 550 SXV must be the one w/ 61 hp. It was in a streetbike mag a couple of months back. I assumed the RXV and SXV were in the same state of tune. The factory SM bike they tested along side in the same article made 72 hp.

• zorroz

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:00 PM

I was at the dealer the other day that sells Aprillia's also and they had several in the workshop for warranty work. They said the factory crank case sealant is poor and they leak oil for the centre in no time. Imagine pulling one of those engines apart!! No thanks, I like my WR....

• eurobound

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:23 AM

The problem is that they blow up really easy...

friend of mine was wrenching at a european supermoto race in 2007 and couldn't help but laugh at the Factory Aprilia mechanic... was busy all day and at one point just changed the engine cuz they couldn't work out the fuel injection/electronics on one of the engines...

the tuned twin cylinder is likely the most powerful out there...

the bike rips!! and sounds awesome too!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HollywoodMX

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:33 PM

friend of mine was wrenching at a european supermoto race in 2007 and couldn't help but laugh at the Factory Aprilia mechanic... was busy all day and at one point just changed the engine cuz they couldn't work out the fuel injection/electronics on one of the engines...

the tuned twin cylinder is likely the most powerful out there...

the bike rips!! and sounds awesome too!!

Ya the 550 is supposed to be too fast for the trails.. Too hard to manage. 57hp is a lot!

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 06, 2008 - 04:26 PM

450cc is 450cc, be it a thumper or a twin. the only real advantage the twin will have is a lower operating RPM.

• turbohead

Posted August 08, 2008 - 12:26 AM

The Aprilia is a lame duck. Take a look at any dirt championship around the world and you'll have a hard time finding one in the overall standings. Lots of YZFs and WRs though.... along with CRFs and so on.

To me, the Italian twin is the answer to a question never asked by anyone. Right now, we can't go any faster than the usual bikes allow us to, so why bother with a twin engine? Anything Japanese (or Husky, KTM, Husaberg, BMW...) will simply blow them away.

• TeamDad

Posted August 08, 2008 - 01:38 PM

The real scoop in the US is this:
1. The bikes come restricted for us pollution law. This includes a throttle stop, intake and exhaust restricters, and a different fuel program.
2. Some bikes (mostly 07's) did have a crankcase leak issue. The dealers can check them before selling them and give you a new engine as needed. It is fixed.
3. Check out results for World Enduro, and Supermoto. Also US dirt track.
4. The Aprilia kicked everyones A## at the Pikes Peak hillclimb.
5. My 550 svx (07) is dealer derestricted. It will hand any WR450 its tail on a stick. Not even close. Currently in the garage for comparison is a CRF450, a CR500 2-smoke, a CRF302x that is built., a BMW 1150. The Aprilia is faster.

Unless you actually own one, you're circulating hearsay. While not in denial about actual issues, I have done this long enough to know that all bikes have some issues. This is possibly the most fun bike I have ever ridden on the street, and I am in no way talking trash on the WR Yamaha as I believe them to be a great bike. If anyone has the need for more info on the Aprilia, PM me and I can answer questions, or refer you to someone more knowledgeable than me. Peace.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 08, 2008 - 01:48 PM

5. My 550 svx (07) is dealer derestricted. It will hand any WR450 its tail on a stick. Not even close. .

Okay, but what about the 450?:)

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 08, 2008 - 02:46 PM

The real scoop in the US is this:
1. The bikes come restricted for us pollution law. This includes a throttle stop, intake and exhaust restricters, and a different fuel program.
2. Some bikes (mostly 07's) did have a crankcase leak issue. The dealers can check them before selling them and give you a new engine as needed. It is fixed.
3. Check out results for World Enduro, and Supermoto. Also US dirt track.
4. The Aprilia kicked everyones A## at the Pikes Peak hillclimb.
5. My 550 svx (07) is dealer derestricted. It will hand any WR450 its tail on a stick. Not even close. Currently in the garage for comparison is a CRF450, a CR500 2-smoke, a CRF302x that is built., a BMW 1150. The Aprilia is faster.

Unless you actually own one, you're circulating hearsay. While not in denial about actual issues, I have done this long enough to know that all bikes have some issues. This is possibly the most fun bike I have ever ridden on the street, and I am in no way talking trash on the WR Yamaha as I believe them to be a great bike. If anyone has the need for more info on the Aprilia, PM me and I can answer questions, or refer you to someone more knowledgeable than me. Peace.

Dude relax. We already clairified the AP 550 is a mean machine, did you read the whole thread?

We were talking about the 450. This one had an aftermarket exhaust style which is a dealer option, rather than the underseat one. Plus I doubt it was dealer resticted. In canada restrictions are completly deleted from the dealers here out the door, we have little governing of that stuff here.

Okay, but what about the 450?:)

Exactly. We were not talking AP 550 vs Wr 450....it was AP 450 vs WR 450..:D

• TeamDad

Posted August 08, 2008 - 03:09 PM

I am relaxed, but thanks for asking. Ride a derestricted 450. You will find that the 450 is faster than the Yamaha. I am not trashing or bashing anyones ride. FYI... rumor here in the east is that Aprilia will have a factory off-road team next year for the GNCC series. At that point, we will be able see if its dirt worthy or not?

p.s. Our off-road weapon of choice is a Honda...

• brad the best

Posted August 08, 2008 - 05:29 PM

i thinks its a awesome bike , i own a wr and a shiver 750 , engine is super strong and reliable .

i want a fi dirt bike thats for sure .

• hillclimbguy

Posted August 08, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Aprilia is a cool bike, but i have more Yamaha dealers by me than Aprilia dealers. Thats enouph for me not to own one.

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 08, 2008 - 11:39 PM

I am relaxed, but thanks for asking. Ride a derestricted 450. You will find that the 450 is faster than the Yamaha. I am not trashing or bashing anyones ride. FYI... rumor here in the east is that Aprilia will have a factory off-road team next year for the GNCC series. At that point, we will be able see if its dirt worthy or not?

p.s. Our off-road weapon of choice is a Honda...

Well I rode both bikes, and I'm telling you my WR was faster, my WR was faster than my friends KTM 450 as well. I would have never thought it would have been that way either till I rode both.

Perhaps the aprilia gets tired early in its usage..... My WR was an 03 his aprilia was an 07.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.