Finally a tank for the 07+ WR that doesnt need YZ shrouds

52 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:39 AM

It is designed to work with the stock WR shrouds (a nice plus as we do not have to buy the YZ shrouds and add additional cost like some other brands). I am not completely familiar with the UFO shrouds, but if they mirror the WR, they should work.

We want to know about the fit with certain radiator guards, not shrouds.

Do you have radiator guards installed? If so, which brand?

• Goose610

Posted August 11, 2008 - 10:35 AM

I just got an answer from Clarke Manufacturing regarding Yamaha original radiator guards and they said the Yamaha guards should work great with the tank..:)

Yamaha Racing Alloy Radiator Guards
5TJ-W0741-00-00 Fits '07-'08 WR450F
http://www.yamaha-mo...08&ProdID=4610#

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 11, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Just ordered a tank.

Now I can Go LONG!

• Mtn-Track

Posted August 11, 2008 - 12:12 PM

I just got an answer from Clarke Manufacturing regarding Yamaha original radiator guards and they said the Yamaha guards should work great with the tank..:)

Yamaha Racing Alloy Radiator Guards
5TJ-W0741-00-00 Fits '07-'08 WR450F
http://www.yamaha-mo...08&ProdID=4610#

These guards don't show up on the US Yamaha site, same with the P/N. Anybody know if we can get them in the US? They look different from the YZ one's...

• GPRacer171

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:39 PM

We want to know about the fit with certain radiator guards, not shrouds.

Do you have radiator guards installed? If so, which brand?

No, i do not have radiator guards. Sorry, it did not soak in fully. :)

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 13, 2008 - 10:14 PM

Just ordered a tank.

Now I can Go LONG!

:) .... so when I run out of gas..... are we going to lift up your bike to pour some into my tank or are you just going to pull me with a rope?

• trailhead2004

Posted August 15, 2008 - 08:04 AM

I got my tank mostly installed last night, pics available here http://s289.photobuc...head2004/Bikes/
Overall, I'm really happy with the fit and finish of the Clarke. I've come to expect a better overall product from them relative to IMS and to some extent Acerbis too. They did not disappoint. :)

The shrouds fit like its a Yamaha tank, it slides on the frame like a glove, narrower at the top than the IMS (check photos in link), and it doesn't use a funky bracket mounting system at the front mount like the IMS. There should be no problem whatsoever putting a Scotts damper on this setup.

Oh yeah, and 3.6 gallons too! :D

Buy yours today!

trailhead2004

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Demo Slug,
When you run out of gas you will be walkin....

You are going to need the capacity to get from packer saddle, down butcher ranch and 3rd divide, up Empire, over chimney rock, down rattle snake into downieville, back up 1st divide, up 3rd, and 1/2 of butcher, up Pauley Creek, and back to packer saddle..... That loop is high on my to do list.

Of course you could stop at the gas pump in Downieville and refill, but you might get poped for riding that green sticker in and out of town.

• resinlips

Posted August 15, 2008 - 01:45 PM

Anyone decide if the Clark tank works with Unibiker rad guards yet?

• starfish

Posted August 16, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Ok i just installed my clarke this moring. On my 07 wr450. It fits fine with my unibiker radiator guards. They only thing i do not like its that the pet faces forward. You end up with a long hose. I ordered a 05 pet cock hoping it points backwards. Now i can going win eddieville. Before i was afraid to run out of fuel. jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ozwr

Posted August 18, 2008 - 05:44 AM

I am awaiting the delivery of my Clarke tank for my 2007 WR450F. Will post up more pictures etc when I receive it in a weeks time. From the reviews of some of the other boys on here, it's a good option!

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 18, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Ok i just installed my clarke this moring. On my 07 wr450. It fits fine with my unibiker radiator guards. They only thing i do not like its that the pet faces forward. You end up with a long hose. I ordered a 05 pet cock hoping it points backwards. Now i can going win eddieville. Before i was afraid to run out of fuel. jim

Jim - The 05' petcock will work great... Longcourse or Shortcourse?

You'll still need to pit if you are running longcourse at eddieville, I usually leave it on reserve and pit by lap 5 or 6 at the latest :)

• starfish

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Hey Don I am still poaching the 40 c class. So that means short course. I probably could have made it before with the stock tank. I finshed fifth in june after stopping for a splash. I was to chicken to attempt to make it. If i can win the tough as nail aug 23 i will move up to 40 b for eddieville. But thats still the short course? I wish the eddieville races where longer. I finshed second at starvation back in the spring. The longer races seem better for me. jim

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 18, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hey Don I am still poaching the 40 c class. So that means short course. I probably could have made it before with the stock tank. I finshed fifth in june after stopping for a splash. I was to chicken to attempt to make it. If i can win the tough as nail aug 23 i will move up to 40 b for eddieville. But thats still the short course? I wish the eddieville races where longer. I finshed second at starvation back in the spring. The longer races seem better for me. jim

NMA 40B is still shortcourse yes.

Can't wait to see that tank this weekend, I'll keep an eye out for you, my son races 200C so I'll be down there early enough to check it out. I'll look for you in the pits.

• trailhead2004

Posted August 19, 2008 - 01:48 PM

Here is a pic of my bike with the Clarke WR tank fully installed http://i289.photobuc...es/IMG_5285.jpg

Note the fuel level when you view the picture. That was the amount of fuel I got out of the stock Yamaha tank with the petcock set to reserve and the bike dumped on it's side twice to get the fuel to the left side.

There was about 1/2 quart left in the stock tank when I was done emptying through the petcock.

I'd estimate that there is room for about 1.4 gallons of gas left at the top of the Clarke tank.

trailhead

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 19, 2008 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used the stock petcok and routed a long piece of 5/16" fuel line in a loop.

the fenders sit wider on the clarke tank than the stock one... You can see how the fenders sit about 1" away from the radiators at the top, but get sucked in with the bolt on the bottom. Right under the seat the fenders sit a little outboard.

I added a zip tie around the front boss that the seat slides into to mount it more solidly. (the one that bolts to the tank).

Overall I like the tank a lot... I can see how much fuel I have left.... Everything fits well.....not like stock, but pretty well.

• SmobySport

Posted August 19, 2008 - 10:01 PM

With all that extra hose throw a fuel filter on there.

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 19, 2008 - 10:16 PM

Whys that?

That hose is ~2" longer than stock. The stock one would reach but with a kink in one of the bends...

There are filters on the petcock inlet tubes.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 20, 2008 - 12:17 AM

Ghetto

can't you rotate the petcock 180 degrees?

• KennyMc

Posted August 20, 2008 - 07:04 AM

Ghetto

can't you rotate the petcock 180 degrees?

You can but then the shut-off valve would be on the inside. Kinda pain in the a$$. I had it that way on my IMS tanks but recently upgraded to an '06 WR petcock and problem solved. No long hose or inside valve shut-off.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.