Kick Start returns too far....2004 yzf 450

4 replies to this topic
  • RCannon

Posted August 04, 2008 - 05:03 PM

My neighbor has a 2004 yzf 450. he had a serious crash last weekend. Serious enough that stitches were too much hassle..he got super glue, the scrub brush treatment, and needs new goggles due to his shattering in his face....obviously, a bad one.

His 450 is ok...the only damage is an odd thing. His kickstarter functions properly and will start the bike. However, the upper return travels too far and does not hit a solid stop. Whatever stops the lever no longer works.

Is this a broken case? Swapping a side case is no big deal, but it sounds liek $$$$$. I would like to surprise him and fix this myself if possible.

Thanks for listening. I tried a search, but everything was related to non functioning kick start levers.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Is this a broken case?

Probably the crankcase.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted August 05, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Could be the ratchet wheel or stopper (4,11)
Probably best to pop the side cover off and pull out the kickstarter to see what's what...
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Could be the ratchet wheel or stopper (4,11)
Probably best to pop the side cover off and pull out the kickstarter to see what's what...
Posted Image

Good call, actually. They really did try to make the kick starter more prone to break than the case. It would be nice to see that pay off.

• RCannon

Posted August 06, 2008 - 04:20 AM

That would be good news and I hope thats all that is wrong.

Good news being relative. Yamaha is proud of piece number 11, but only about 10% as much as the stitches holding his face together!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.