Flywheel for an 08 WR 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • MotoMarie

Posted August 04, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Has anyone put a flywheel weight on an 08 WR 450? We can't even find one anywhere. I called Steahly and they won't even be making one, they said it will be too hard. Any suguestions will help.

• brappp4fifty

Posted August 04, 2008 - 12:57 PM

A flywheel weight? what would u use that for? is it slipping?

Posted August 04, 2008 - 12:58 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?

That flywheel is already very heavy, your best bet to change the low end power characteristics is probably with gearing:excuseme:

• William1

Posted August 04, 2008 - 01:49 PM

^^^ +2 on that or perhaps with different cams or re-degreeing the cams some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeythefokker

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:06 PM

I don't think that anyone will be making one for the newer wr's, probably ever. They aren't very stall prone as is and can chug along at very low speeds with no ill effect. My friend spent a good chunk of change trying to get his yz as low end friendly as my bike and still didn't quite get all the way there. Going up a tooth or two in the back will get the engine rpms up a bit higher at lower speeds, but will also make the bike a bit more wheelie friendly. If stalling is really an issue that go Rekluse. Once properly installed your bike almost doesn't even need you anymore.

• MotoMarie

Posted August 05, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for everybody's input, I'll research those other options. I can’t wait for the WR 450 to chug as well as my 1999 YZ 400, then the upgrade will be worth it.

• tribalbc

Posted August 05, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Change the exhaust system and the gearing and you should be good to go :ride:
That's what I did with my 07 and it chugs along fine now.

• muddza

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have a Lighter flywheel of my old 05 YZ that I was thinking off dropping on the new 08 WR... anyone know if ti will fit???

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:09 PM

I have a Lighter flywheel of my old 05 YZ that I was thinking off dropping on the new 08 WR... anyone know if ti will fit???

Not even close.. Good idea though..

I agree with William on the cams deal, when I put YZ cams in my bike the low end mellowed but pulled tractor hard... it was a huge change in the low end.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.