Gearing Help (Smoother 2nd)

4 replies to this topic
  • allanwessels

Posted August 03, 2008 - 07:44 PM

I have an '07 WR450 and I love 2nd gear until you come off the throttle & get hit hard by the engine breaking, 3rd gear is smooth.

Is there any way to make 2nd 'wider?'

What happens if I add a bigger sprocket to the rear?

Thanks!

• brad the best

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:14 PM

i think a bigger sprocket would make it worse .(slower , more torque because of the lower gear ratio)

just don't let go of the throttle or shift up . its a big bore 4 , not a two-stroke . try driving a two-stroke street bike then switching over to a 4-stroke . in that case i just give it enough throttle around corners and such that it barely pulls and the braking is gone .

im sure some one else will have a better answer .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Swiveler1973

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:46 PM

try turning up the idle, this will make second gear wider.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 04, 2008 - 05:34 AM

I have an '07 WR450 and I love 2nd gear until you come off the throttle & get hit hard by the engine breaking, 3rd gear is smooth.

Is there any way to make 2nd 'wider?'

What happens if I add a bigger sprocket to the rear?

Thanks!

You've got to have some throttle and clutch control. Now that you know what it will do, react accordingly. If you are on the throttle pretty good in 2nd and can feel the engine braking a lot, you probably should be in 3rd gear.

I use to find myself stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear and could not figure out where I should be. 3rd is a lot smoother and is pretty torquey. Try gearing down a little,which should allow you to run in third gear a little sooner and smooth things out. I wouldn't make 2nd taller. Just get into third sooner.

So... put on a slightly larger rear sprocket. Go up 2 teeth in the back. You will find yourself riding in 3rd more often. If you have a 50 on the rear, go to a 52.

This is what worked for me.

• allanwessels

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.