DUNLOP 742F vs 756

8 replies to this topic
  • YZ450RDR

Posted August 03, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I am running the stock front tire (742F) on my 08' YZ450F . My front tire is pushing hard in the corner would a new 756 eliminate this or is it just me? I ride on an MX track, medium to soft sand terrain?

• wheeldude

Posted August 03, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Throw that 742 as FAR as you can, and put the 756 on. As soon as I installed the 756 on my 07 YZ450F, most of the push was gone. Dial in the front clickers on your forks and make sure your sag is correct and you will be amazed at how well the YZ turns. Just my 2 cents worth. WD

• YamaLink

Posted August 03, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Make sure to warm your throwing arm up so you can get that 742F as far away as possible! :ride:

I felt it made the front end of all my 450s wander no matter what psi or riding position I was in. A 756 was indeed a great "upgrade" as was the Scorpion Pro (and many others just so long as it did not have the numbers 7-4-2 lined up on the sidewall).

Throw that 742 as FAR as you can, and put the 756 on. As soon as I installed the 756 on my 07 YZ450F, most of the push was gone. Dial in the front clickers on your forks and make sure your sag is correct and you will be amazed at how well the YZ turns. Just my 2 cents worth. WD

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2008 - 03:43 PM

I ride mostly SoCal desert/high desert, so the soils are probably quite similar. I tried the 742FA and was very disappointed with it. The 756 will probably work better, but it won't work that well for very long, as it will round off the edges of the knobs fairly quickly. So far, the D755 is my runaway favorite, but I think the Michelin Starcross MS3 is worth a try, too. The D952 is an excellent all-around front, as well.

If you're using the stock front tire, I wonder if you're using the stock bars. They are too low for most people, and that causes most people to sit too far back on the bike. If you're somewhere around 5'11" - 6' or more, or have long arms, try a set of Windham bend bars. It could change everything about how your bike handles.

Either way, be sure you get well forward on the bike while cornering it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big Black

Posted August 03, 2008 - 07:13 PM

what's the best rear tire to run with the 755 or 952

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2008 - 07:38 PM

I run a 952 rear just about all the time. They handle a wide range of the soils I ride in very well, they wear extremely well, and I get them cheap. To compare the tire to a 756, it works nearly as well in loamy corners, at least as well in a straight line in loam, and lasts 3 times as long or more. In sand, it beats a 756 hands down.

• Wiz636

Posted August 04, 2008 - 06:27 AM

Make sure to warm your throwing arm up so you can get that 742F as far away as possible! :ride:

I felt it made the front end of all my 450s wander no matter what psi or riding position I was in. A 756 was indeed a great "upgrade" as was the Scorpion Pro (and many others just so long as it did not have the numbers 7-4-2 lined up on the sidewall).

That is so strange to me. I have found the 742FA to be a great front tire that works on a wide variety of terrain and wears decently. I have been running them exclusively since February.

The 756 works well until the knobs become rounded (which happens quickly) and then, IMO, it becomes useless. I agree with Gray's thoughts on the 952.

If anybody is wanting to ditch their 742FA throw it my way!

• mxracer206

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:49 AM

That is so strange to me. I have found the 742FA to be a great front tire that works on a wide variety of terrain and wears decently. I have been running them exclusively since February.

The 756 works well until the knobs become rounded (which happens quickly) and then, IMO, it becomes useless. I agree with Gray's thoughts on the 952.

If anybody is wanting to ditch their 742FA throw it my way!

I am with you, the 756 has never been my favorite front tire unless you can use a new one all the time. I would probably choose the 742 over it most of the time/tracks I ride. Do yourself a favor and get a 745 Dunlop, it looks close to the 742FA but I have never had such good traction in med to hard dirt. I keep thinking if I say it enough grayracer will go get one and tell me what he thinks.

• Justin89

Posted August 04, 2008 - 12:10 PM

I love the 742FA! I went through two 756's on my 2006 yz450f and I thought that it felt way to much like I was riding on a pizza cutter. It was like night and day for me with the two tires. I run a 742FA in the front and 756RR on the rear. I like the compund of the 952's but it feels like they have no side traction or bite while turning...however, they do last a long time. I ride 100% track in medium/soft muddy terrain. Just my 2cents...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.