Installing rear hydraulic brake light switch ?

3 replies to this topic
  • Sylvain

Posted December 19, 2002 - 10:27 AM

First thing first. Joyeux Noël et bonne année à tous.
Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to all. :) :D

I just installed a home made light kit on my WR. I kept the original 12 v ac for headlight and tail light. I added a 3 function handlebar switch and wired the hi-lo beam to it. A 1.2 amp battery is installed under the cover of the air filter box. I took off the snorkel, added 3 unifilter breathers. The batt feeds the horn and a relay for the Acerbis turn signals. I added an inline fuse, a main switch and a 2 pins plug connected to the battery for charging duty. This set up turns my bike into a machine that will keep me and the local police happy. :D

I'm going to install a hydraulic brake light switch to the rear brake unit. I'll replace the original banjo bolt with the pressure switch, then I have to bleed the system.

Some people are convince that I absolutly need to use a vacuum hand pump tool to perform this task.

Do I really need this tool ???

Or can I achieve proper bleeding by the regular method ? (tube in a can full of brake fluid and pumping til no more air bubbles come out)

Thanks for the replies

Best wishes to you and to your families

• jmiakaike

Posted December 19, 2002 - 11:17 AM

you don't need the tool.. though, it will make things much faster and easier. i installed a brand new stainless line AND braking caliper.. put the line in the fluid until no bubbles, the attached to caliper and bled again... works great! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keener

Posted December 20, 2002 - 07:15 AM

I installed the brake light on my wr426 with the banjo pressure switch. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but I think: take a 6-8" piece of clear tubing and attach it to the bleeder nipple on the rear caliper (fish tank stuff). Loop the tube up and back down. Hold the loop together with a zip tye. Allow the end to hang down into a catch container. Install the banjo bolt as per teh directions. Remove brake fluid reservoir cover and have a fresh can of new fluid open and ready. Loosen the 8mm nipple bolt on the caliper-tubing rig 1-2 turns. The loop is there so that you can see the air bubble pass through the system and to prevent air from being sucked back in to the system.
Now its time to bleed :)
With cap off reservoir and nipp loosened, slowly push rear brake lever down to the full stroke. You will see fluid cycle through the loop and suck back a little when the lever returns. As you let up on the lever, add fluid to the reservoir. Keep going until you see the air bubble pass through the loop (it was introduced when you changed the banjo bolt). Tighten nipple, top off res., and replace cap and you're finished. Get any fluid off the paint asap.
I got the loop trick from the insert from the bolt from Baja Designs. It works sweet :D

• Sylvain

Posted December 22, 2002 - 05:52 PM

The job is done and everything seems to be OK. The bike is still in the basement for the most part of the winter :D , so I'll know if the job was done right when I'll ride the beast.

Right after I complete the light set up on my bike, I'll start to work on grease nipples insertions. more fun to come :D.

Greetings

Greetings :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.