Clutch Push Lever/Actuator

No replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:54 AM

I went riding this weekend and had a problem with my clutch lever adjustment. Maybe the experts here can help.

I put in new clutch plates last week and went out for a ride. I use the same process/procedure that I have used the last two times I replaced the clutch on this bike. It ran good up and down the block, so I took it out to the mountains for a ride.

I started the day out just fine. I was riding, climbing hills and clutching my way up and over rocky terrain.

About 30 miles into it, my bike was boiling over big time and my clutch was slipping really bad to the point that I got stuck on a hill. I coasted back down and started trying to figure out why the lever was so damn stiff and I couldn't get any play in to it.

What I ultimately found was that the clutch push lever was rotated outward from its normal position by almost 45 degrees. It was actually wedged up against the case saver. So I took off the lever and the case saver and the clutch push lever actually rotated over the chain. Because it was naturally so far out, I couldn't adjust the lever and had to ride very, very slowly back to my truck, clutch slipping and all.

On the push lever/actuator, what controls the position that it is in? Is there some sort of gear or spline on the top of it where I can take it out and reposition it?

How in the heck would it move anyways? Is this indicative of more damage.

Is it possible that something is wrong with the clutch plates I installed. I used OEM.

I looked in my service manual and I cannot see what holds that push lever in place.

What part of it actually moves the push rod. I cannot see that clearly in my diagram.

I guess I can take out the pushrod and remove the arm. I shouldn't have to remove the clutch basket to do that, right?

I am trying to understand what the heck went wrong here. I was about 15 miles from my truck at the time it screwed up on me and want to make sure that I fix it properly so I don't get stranded on my next ride.

Thanks for any assistance.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.