how to tell if a reed valve is bad

3 replies to this topic
  • DirtbikeLP

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:05 AM

i did some research last night and it sounds like a bad reed valve will cause the symptoms my bike is having and since i already had the carb off to clean/rejet i figured i might as well take a look at the reed valve. its boyesen reeds and i think the block too. anyway the question is how to tell if theyre bad.

• T-roy JK

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:11 AM

They are bad if they have chips, cracks or if they are not sealing against the cage. pull them out (if ya didn't) and look. hold them up to light and see if the pedels are bent and leaving a gap.
the first signs of bad reeds will be hard starting IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Johnyb

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:17 AM

i did some research last night and it sounds like a bad reed valve will cause the symptoms my bike is having and since i already had the carb off to clean/rejet i figured i might as well take a look at the reed valve. its boyesen reeds and i think the block too. anyway the question is how to tell if theyre bad.

Check them out, they should all be flat on housing and not bent up or cracked/chiped ect. If the reeds sit more than 10 thousandths of an inch off the surface of the reed block, it is time to replace your reeds.

• DirtbikeLP

Posted August 03, 2008 - 09:14 AM

one of them is sealed tight and the other is .4mm from sealed. so i guess i should replace both.

kinda off topic.....
this might be because the reeds but my bike is an 01 cr250 anyway in first and second gear if you let the bike go way down in the rpms then hit the throttle itll pull hard for just a second the it just goes completely flat but when it gets in third it pulls hard for a long time wich makes me think its not the jetting so what could it be?

sorry for al the questions. this is my first two stroke.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

IMS oversized fuel tank fitment tips by Oldmossyspokes

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M   CRF250 L/M FAQ
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 Beta Model Ride Impressions Enduro360.com by Johnny Depp

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

How do I free up some power from my son's 2012 PW50? by fastguineaboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Mini/Pee-Wee
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 Baja 1000 Rumors by NewMexican

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Baja
  • Hot  87 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.