99 yz400f

64 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2009 - 01:42 PM

The best thing that can be done with an FCR once they get in this kind of condition is replace them with an FCR-MX from a 2000 or later model, preferably one from '02 up, with '05 and later being even better.

It's worth trying to fix it just before discarding it, though, I suppose.

• myoung

Posted December 28, 2009 - 02:20 PM

I know what you're saying Gray and it echos what some of the rest of the brain trust on these forums believes as well. I agree with you to a certain extent.

Some just cant afford to do that though, I know that's where I was at. I think it's better for those dealing with this to know every possibility and if it works, what's the harm?

• jjj109

Posted December 28, 2009 - 02:44 PM

The best thing that can be done with an FCR once they get in this kind of condition is replace them with an FCR-MX from a 2000 or later model, preferably one from '02 up, with '05 and later being even better.

It's worth trying to fix it just before discarding it, though, I suppose.

fshum listen to Gray because your just going to put a good running carb back on that just has the little quirks and problems from when they were brand new anyway. Dont be idiot and try to spend time and money on something that might work when you can do something that is going to work

• fshum

Posted December 28, 2009 - 02:45 PM

I know what you're saying Gray and it echos what some of the rest of the brain trust on these forums believes as well. I agree with you to a certain extent.

Some just cant afford to do that though, I know that's where I was at. I think it's better for those dealing with this to know every possibility and if it works, what's the harm?

I have my yz 450 2006. I did not know the carbs would match. are you positive? I will take the one off my 2006 and put it on just to hear the 400 run. Then if I am sure that is the problem, my friend told me edelbrock makes on.

IM tellin' you all that I am the original owner of this bike and I know it cant have more than 100 hours on it. the thing rips, just let me know if I can surely switch my 2006 carb onto the 1999. please.

• myoung

Posted December 28, 2009 - 02:58 PM

From what I've read, it will work. If that carb is good, it will more than likely fix it. If it doesn't fix it, than it may be an air leak or the valves. If your old carb only has 100 hours, it would be silly to throw it away without at least checking the passage for blockage. Just my opinion........

If you don't want to bother with it and you're just going to toss it, send it to me..........:moon:

• myoung

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:02 PM

fshum listen to Gray because your just going to put a good running carb back on that just has the little quirks and problems from when they were brand new anyway. Dont be idiot and try to spend time and money on something that might work when you can do something that is going to work

No money is spent checking the passage for blockage. :moon:

• fshum

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:07 PM

myoung, your totally right. I just wanna hear the bike run before rippin' the yz 400 carb apart, however, if I can bolt on my newer carb from the 06.

• fshum

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:08 PM

my 2006 was a brand new left over last summer un 2008 believe me that carb has been babied since the day I got it a year and a half ago.

I just want to know will it bolt up?

• fshum

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:12 PM

I plan on taking the yz 400 carb apart just like the thread you gave me, which was very helpful by the way.

I just figure before I go stripping out those little allen head fasteners, I might as well take the good carb off my new bike and make sure it is a carbureation problem to begin with.

I know you said you did not want to waste money, and I know you fixed yours, but just for future reference edelbrock has a aftermarket carb for the 98 to 06. looks pretty rad. runs about $450 though.

Hey man, rock and roll, you all really helped me. Thank you I just have to weigh my options jjj109.

• jjj109

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:18 PM

No money is spent checking the passage for blockage. :moon:

myoung the problem is that those first edition FCR carbs for the 98-99 yz400f werent even close to being jetted correctly and properly tuned in. They also had other bad flaws like the cover for the accelerator pump rod/ linkage not being completely sealed from dirt and mudd. also the cables would wear very fast cause of this problem too. its just an all around issues with those first year FCR's . It would be a huge improvement and a big notice on how the bike runs to upgrade the carb:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jjj109

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:21 PM

also those years if I remember correctly had a pastic accelerator pump linkage arm / linkage. They were a joke once those things wear pretty good it was a guaranty that they would start to hesitate and blog. It was just a bad design and too much maintenance

• fshum

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Do you think If I ran one of those edelbrock carbs the aftermarket cables and aftermarket aluminum throttle barrels would work?

• jjj109

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Do you think If I ran one of those edelbrock carbs the aftermarket cables and aftermarket aluminum throttle barrels would work?

fshum just get off your wallet and spend a little money :cheers: I know you got it. Your are probably the most indecisive person on this site . :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Before everyone completely glasses over what I actually said, I did say there was no harm in making the effort to fix this in the manner described. Just don't be too disappointed or surprised.

Used carbs are available, check the TT classifieds and eBay.

• myoung

Posted December 28, 2009 - 04:31 PM

Sorry Gray, didn't meant to misinterpret what you said. Your post just read with the same negative tone I've seen in a lot of threads on this.

I understand where you're coming from jjj109, and it's cool, I respect your opinion.

My problem is I just don't believe buying a new carb is a blanket fix all for every situation either. Especially when it's replacing a carb with 100 hours on it. I understand that there are worn out early FCR's. But there are also guys that have thousands of miles on them and they're still running.

When I first joined this site, it was the best resource for the kind of information I offered to fshum. Now it seems like a lot of the people that offer help can only suggest throwing money at something if the easiest possibility doesn't fix it. Maybe that's a by product of the high flying spending times we just lived through a couple years ago.

I don't know fshum or anybody else on TT and what their financial situations are. I do know that when I read the threads that people post up, the general tone in almost every single one is they are trying to find information so they can fix something without spending tons of money. Hell, if they just wanted to throw money at something they would have just gone to the dealer and not come here. If they are willing to get their hands dirty, sometimes there are other possibilities.

I'm just trying to help with what my experiences can bring. I was told I had something that was junk, but I fixed it. Another guy after me was told the same thing and he fixed his. I'm sure there are others that have been convinced to spend hundreds on something when they didn't need to because they didn't know any different.

No doubt, there is still a lot of help from this site, I was able to head in the right direction from the info I gathered on my problem. But there is a lot more bad advice then there used to be as well. I'll continue to come here when I need to try and find something out, but this time around, even with hundreds of threads over years of people posting on the problem I was having, I still had to figure it out myself. And I didn't spend a dime fixing it.

Sorry, this stuff drives me nuts, I should just stop rocking the boat. I'll get off my soapbox now. :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2009 - 09:01 PM

My problem is I just don't believe buying a new carb is a blanket fix all for every situation

Particularly if the carb isn't the problem to begin with. :moon:

• fshum

Posted December 29, 2009 - 12:30 AM

fshum just get off your wallet and spend a little money :cheers: I know you got it. Your are probably the most indecisive person on this site . :moon:

The valves measure .003 when the tightest tolerance is supposed to .006in.
I guess I did not realize since it is really my friends bike, how terrible a job he did maintenencing the airfilter. So we are gonna fix that, then if the bike still runs bad I will follow the steps with the carb related to Myoungs thread.

Hey man I am all about spending no money to get the bike running, believe me I am conservative. I don't like to pee money out the window.

I do want to get the bike runnin', so I am taking every measure to do that. Hopefully the carb is not the problem at this point, who knows. The bike has been ridden in sand pits and maintained poorly. I figure the senior rider who owned it (which is my close friend) took care of it. Then I remembered whom I was actually talking about. Believe me if you knew him, you would understand. great person, just likes to ride more than clean air filters, or even wash his bike for that matter.

anyway, i know the carb on that bike stinks. it bogged when we got the bike brand new in 1999. in fact I bogged off the face of a huge jump, went over the bars, tried to fly 15 feet in the air, landed on both feet, and my right femur snapped in half. I want a better carb, but before i go spend money on this dangerous hunk of junk, I want to make sure it runs first.

truthfully I just wanna get it running and sell it. Or really just keep it for a straightaway bike. I can't moto on it. I am a motocrosser not a team budweiser rider

Thank you brothers who take your time trying to help people like me.

It is too late and we don't have the shims right now so the bike ain't fixed yet. I'll keep you posted. if it still runs like crap I will look deeper into the carbureator.

Like I say, I am very surprised that the valves are so tight. the engines on these are so powerful and bullet proof. I guess I underestimated the ill-maintained, sand pit, dirty air filter hours my friend put on this bike when I was away at college in the middle Of a city where no dirtbike riding was going on.

I am determined to get it running, however, just so I do not let it defeat me.

The thing obviously has some major problems, but if we get it goin for a pit bike for my brother, it will be worth some laughs.

After I wear out my 2006 yz 450 I am buying fuel injected and not looking back at carbureators. These things are stone aged and a joke. time to get with the new millenium. Its already 2010. all these years and I still can't spell carb right anyway. time to move on. Ill keep you posted. literally, on thumpertalk.

• jjj109

Posted December 29, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Sorry Gray, didn't meant to misinterpret what you said. Your post just read with the same negative tone I've seen in a lot of threads on this.

I understand where you're coming from jjj109, and it's cool, I respect your opinion.

My problem is I just don't believe buying a new carb is a blanket fix all for every situation either. Especially when it's replacing a carb with 100 hours on it. I understand that there are worn out early FCR's. But there are also guys that have thousands of miles on them and they're still running.

When I first joined this site, it was the best resource for the kind of information I offered to fshum. Now it seems like a lot of the people that offer help can only suggest throwing money at something if the easiest possibility doesn't fix it. Maybe that's a by product of the high flying spending times we just lived through a couple years ago.

I don't know fshum or anybody else on TT and what their financial situations are. I do know that when I read the threads that people post up, the general tone in almost every single one is they are trying to find information so they can fix something without spending tons of money. Hell, if they just wanted to throw money at something they would have just gone to the dealer and not come here. If they are willing to get their hands dirty, sometimes there are other possibilities.

I'm just trying to help with what my experiences can bring. I was told I had something that was junk, but I fixed it. Another guy after me was told the same thing and he fixed his. I'm sure there are others that have been convinced to spend hundreds on something when they didn't need to because they didn't know any different.

No doubt, there is still a lot of help from this site, I was able to head in the right direction from the info I gathered on my problem. But there is a lot more bad advice then there used to be as well. I'll continue to come here when I need to try and find something out, but this time around, even with hundreds of threads over years of people posting on the problem I was having, I still had to figure it out myself. And I didn't spend a dime fixing it.

Sorry, this stuff drives me nuts, I should just stop rocking the boat. I'll get off my soapbox now. :moon:

myoung, sorry to have the negative vibe about the problem that fshum is having with the POS. I personally know fshum and are good friend that owns the 99 yz400f. It really doesnt surprise me about the valves on it cause fshum is correct when he is talking about the bike being poorly maintained:banghead:. I myself over the years have worked on this bike many of times and know how to repair and maintain a bike ( auto tech by trade 15yrs ). But when your limited with money to spend on the bike and the owner really doesn't care you do the best you can for him with out breaking his wallet. The owner is a very good guy and would give you the shirt off his back:thumbsup:. But in the last 4 years or so he has not had the best of luck with $$$$. To be honest with you the bike does need a new carb if someone is really going to try to ride it on a track. But that is to be decided by fshum and are friend. I am just really tired of fixing that bikes multiple problems over the years I guess. Also I was just breaking fshum stones cause I know him. It was for a laugh. Most likely I will get pulled back into repairing this bike which is fine I guess cause it is for a friend:thumbsup:

• myoung

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:19 AM

It's all good guys.

It wasn't just this thread that got me frustrated with the current vibe on this site, it was a lot of them. I just blew a gasket and vented here, sorry about that.

I definitely think you should exhaust every other possibility before digging into the carburetor. The solution I found on my bike was a last resort because I couldn't find anything wrong with anything else on the bike. It was relatively easy to check though, I can't understand why it hasn't become a regular thing to check. Even if you couldn't fix it, at least you would know if you had reached the end of the line with that carb.

• jjj109

Posted December 29, 2009 - 11:15 AM

It's all good guys.

It wasn't just this thread that got me frustrated with the current vibe on this site, it was a lot of them. I just blew a gasket and vented here, sorry about that.

I definitely think you should exhaust every other possibility before digging into the carburetor. The solution I found on my bike was a last resort because I couldn't find anything wrong with anything else on the bike. It was relatively easy to check though, I can't understand why it hasn't become a regular thing to check. Even if you couldn't fix it, at least you would know if you had reached the end of the line with that carb.

yeah good point myoung

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.